Skip to content

Match day thread: Rotherham

Comments

• Are we near the amount of allowed loanees? Or loanees allowed to play at the same time?

• Five loanees per squad allowed. We have four and I doubt we will see Bishop again before Christmas.

• Ah, I did not explain well - I just had a peek on their forum and at that time it was unanimous that Evans was being a plonker.

• Blooms confirmed (although I can’t find where now) that Bishop and Vokes injuries are more than just a knock.

• I just saw his interview - we really have been unlucky with the injury list, though he says Wheeler and Bez are fairly close. I am most concerned with the lack of bodies in defence right now, especially now Grimmer may be added to that list!

Interesting to hear that this was the fourth window where Blooms has tried to sign Cameron Humphreys (thanks @micra!) going back to Colchester. That must have felt like instant vindication!

• What a twat:

https://x.com/wwfcofficial/status/1827422516366680427?t=IuCtmF44RVL_mTyRullfYA&s=09

• Just been past The Rye and it’s flooded again. Did young Stevie do his post-match in the pirate playground?? Drink those tears!

• To be honest I thought we were lucky to be level after 50 mins. We did ok on the ball and worked it out once or twice but never had the bodies or speed to exploit the space.

Rotherham had been mediocre but created better chances and should have taken the lead really.

The subs totally transformed the game. Not just through their own ability to play through midfield, but because it release Udoh higher up the pitch. He looks a very good signing to me. Everything he does is tidy. Decent hold up play and offers some pace upfront. Decision making looks good too. Regularly picks the right pass or does the right thing for that particular moment in the game.

Humphreys looked absolutely brilliant. Can go on both feet, quick, finds space well, confident. Looks happy operating in pockets of space right from the edge of our box to their penalty box too too. It's one thing to be able to turn and play a simple pass inside our half. But to also be able to get beyond the striker, run between full back and CB and beat defenders 1v1 is sensational for a midfielder at this level.

Sadlier was relatively quiet but played a key role yet again. If he keeps going he'll be our POTS by a mile. The extra yard of pace he's developed over the summer adds something extra to his game. Although it wasn't a pen in my view, he was still able to sprint away from the defender and force the situation, which last season wouldn't have happened.

• Blooms said in his post match that Humphreys is coming back from injury and we have to manage his minutes. That’s fair enough, so presumably our midfield two for our next league game will be Josh and Morley? Assuming we go 4-2-2. It’ll be interesting later in the season, if all are fit, where does Leahy fit in. And Tyreeq. And Butch. And Cam.

• I hope we'll be playing more than 9 players in our next game @Gary but maybe, with the injuries we have, that all the fit outfield players we'll have.

• Love our media team! And it is always a delight to have a class act as a manager, no matter what happens on the pitch. Imagine having to feel embarrassed by the behaviour of your gaffer (as Rotherham fans are, to their credit).

I like Rotherham (generally) as a club, and their fans deserve better than Steve Evans. He needs to be made MK Dons manager in perpetuity and be done with it.

• I wonder what sort of team we’ll put out on Wednesday, especially given the quick turnaround for the game at Blackpool.

• What a nightmare for Bishop if he is injured for an extended period. After the fuss getting him here and barely playing football last season he’s been unlucky.

• I would go with the following, with the bolds nailed on. Save the legs (and avoid injuries) of Low, Scowen, McCarthy, GMac, Sadlier and Humphreys.

Ravizzoli

Pattenden (maybe McCarthy)

Skura (maybe McCarthy)

Hartridge

Harvie

Bakinson

Butcher

Morley

Udoh

Kone

Kodua

• Haha it was unintentional but as you pointed out, not far from being accurate!

• I’m not sure I’d start Kone, he’s playing like someone who needs a break. And if we lose either him or Udoh we’re down to the bare bones up front too. Maybe a chance for Brody Peart? I’d expect us to sign a CB depending on Taff’s injury and what the recall conditions are for Taylor Clarke and Luca Woodhouse. Incredible to have this conversation in August!

I’m always glad for cup progress but this really feels like a game we could do without.

• Ah cheers! That's disappointing! We are definitely thin on the ground, and may have to go full Pizza-Checkatrade.

• Your last sentence is spot on. League progress feels so much more important than a cup with poor prize money that we have no chance of winning - all the more so with the Wednesday/Saturday morning combination.

That is a good take on Kone. I suppose I see it in some ways the opposite - I think he lost his #1 striker status to Udoh today (in many fans' eyes anyway) and so keeping him in the minutes would be beneficial, as he will still be coming on as a sub on starting in a front two at times.

• Humphrys is always going to draw comparisons with Potts but remember Potts made his senior debut with us where us Humphrys is experienced at a higher level. Regardless the moment he came on he demanded the ball. One of his first touches was turn that led to three Rotherham players suffering motion sickness as they span out of orbit. Players like him play in slow motion, it looks too easy.

But Morley’s debut was also very impressive. He almost scored twice and was a far better partner for Scowen today than Butcher had been.

And then with perfect timing Kudoa can be introduced to provide a rapid outlet for us to break.

All in all a great second half after a very dull first half. Only blot was Jack’s injury I guess.

• new to this but am ST holder in the FA stand . 1st half today was not brilliant but in 2nd half the 2 loanees made a huge impact and changed the game . was amazing seeing that horrible man Evans get his just deserves today!

worrying about the injuries to the squad , Franco did look great and can deputise , more concerning is CB cover , if we somehow get Nige , that would be immense ! also a number 10 was be huge!

• Think that no 10 is Humphreys. Another defender, keeper and maybe left winger for me.

• Nigel Lonwijk would be a great signing. I really think even if we paid money for him it would be a great investment, as I am sure we would sell on at a handsome profit.

• We know you’re not new to this, and are in fact the gasroom’s most banned user, back to haunt us all for our sins yet again. Please try to keep it civil this time.

• Is this a reincarnation of Richie of the Club Shop?

• Great post. Wholeheartedly agree with all of that.

• One observation that I haven't seen mentioned about Saturday's game was the applause in the 28th minute for Aaron Lockyer. Credit to the away fans for joining in. There are some team's supporters who are so hostile that they forget such human sensibilities.