Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Wrexham

Comments

• Harvie was subbed immediately after the third goal. Pattenden came on in his place at left back. Grimmer remained at right back.

• Plus the idea of a left back at right back and a right back at left back is just as nuts as taking arguably the leagues best defensive midfielder and playing him higher up the pitch.

• Morning squire. Your mention of Steve Brown's debut last night piqued my interest so I checked and found this quote from Martin O'Neill following that defeat at Field Mill.

O'Neill was not happy after the game, describing it as the worst display since he took charge four years previously, adding: "We were pitiful, absolutely pitiful. We did not get into it all. There was no desire." He was also less than sympathetic to the new players, saying "If players need three or four games to settle down, that's not good enough. We don't have time to wait for players to settle down." 

That's why we all loved Martin O'Neill. Just a small insight into what made him such a great manager.

• I have read every single comment on this thread plus watched the game live. My general conclusion is that I'm glad I am not a manager of a league football club.

For example:

1) Why did we play Hartridge and not Taffs? Hartridge was poor all game.

2) Why did he play Bakinson just in front of the back four, not Scowen?

3) Why did he play Bakinson at all and not Butcher?

4) Why did he play One up front on his own, we looked so much sharper & more competitive when Udoh came on?

5) Why take off Sadlier when he was our only threat going forward?

6) McCleary wasn't up to much, should have been subbed earlier, likewise Grimmer who was poor in possession.

7) We don't play any of the new signings as we want to start the season as we finished the last. What's the point in signing them then?

8) We missed . . . . . whoever wasn't playing, should have had them instead of . . . .whoever was!

Who would be a manager eh?

• I appreciate his 100% effort and commitment but Grimmer is seriously poor on the ball. Constantly gives away possession.

• Having thought about the team performance on the way home from a good road trip, I seriously believe that we are a weaker team than the team that finished last season. I also believe that Wrexham are a mid table team at best.

Bakinson was very poor and we must play Scowen at the base of our midfield. Udoh did really well when he came on.

Very poor first half, then a poor defensive clearance for their third goal gave us too much to do.

• We also managed to have a chat with Dan Rice at the Warwick services on the way back and he said we were still trying to do a few things to bring more players in. He is a nice guy and seems to have a good handle on things.

• Anywhere in Wycombe suitable for a massive Keith Ryan?

• PJSPJS
    edited August 11

Always glad to help your friend 😉. The good thing about being at the match (and I can’t get to as many as I would like as I am a longish distance supporter- not your long distance of course - is that your view of the game is not restricted to the camera following the ball. Yes we had too many passes going astray and some of our players had better games than others but I don’t think we were the only team on that pitch that that applies to. First competitive game of the season, hot day and atmosphere and 4/6 players making their debuts. Some good some bad but so much better than first game of last season. As I said I am far from despondent after yesterday’s game.

• Agreed, all the new signings looked inferior to who they were replacing from last season, with the exception of Udoh.

If this is what signings based on data looks like I’m yet to be convinced.

• If Banksy is available to do it, I'm more than happy to volunteer my house, maybe I can then stick it on the market and finally be able to semi retire

• Hanlan isn't a winger. Hanlan also similarly to Mcleary gives you 1 good game every 7/8 games. There will definitely be additions to those positions.

• I think the key data analysis was How Much? And if the answer was £0 then the other data was looked at.

• Thanks for being a good sport, and that is a well-reasoned post. I am not actually too down either, as I am on one of those who had us threatening the playoffs to begin with. I just hate giving away points needlessly, and it felt like one of those games where even if one slight thing is changed, we potentially win comfortably.

Ah well!

• Full strength in midweek or see some fringe players do?

• Fringe as much as possible.

It rotates the squad and stops first choice players getting jaded, but also gives fringe players a chance to force themselves into contention, and to show what they can do in a competitive context - even though most non-U21 sides we face will obviously be making changes of their own.

• My team would be something like:

Bishop; Pattenden, Hartridge, Tafazolli, Harvie; Bakinson, Butcher, Leahy; Bartolo, Udoh, Lubala.

• We’re not sure what fringe and full strength is yet are we?

• I'm a Wrexham fan passing a comment on Saturdays game, with all the hype and media coverage the camera's seemed to be more interested on the Ryan Reynolds private box he was there, but give the game a chance for the limelight. On the match first 35 minutes we controlled the game and scored but once you came into the game end of first half I thought you played well, second half it was to me seemingly one way traffic and a second was coming for you in short order Fletcher's goal was against the run of play but your defence is a bit all over the place then you got that second and I was wishing for the final whistle. Only one of our new signings started the match and Revon as sub in the dying minutes I expect better from the team as the season progresses but Wycombe showed us the standard that we are up against not expecting promotion a playoff spot would be a dream mid table is my guess and you'll be fine but up against the Birmingham and Bolton's is a tough ask for most teams this season. Staying up will be just fine.

• Been reflecting on yesterday, and am in the "not too despondent" camp. On another day we end up winning that 3-2 ourselves and come away feeling happy. Noticed the Wrexham were watering the end we were attacking before the game and then again at half time, but not the end they were attacking. Not an full excuse for some of the missed passes but presumably our final third was a bit zippier than theirs.

Views on players/the game have been pretty well covered so views on it as an away day...

• The tips from the Wrexham fans on here were great - parked in a little free car park that was mentioned, about 15 minute stroll to the ground and got away very easily afterwards with zero traffic
    • Pre match drinks at Maesgwyn were lovely, great friendly atmosphere (lots of kids running around so had a nice family feel). Only real off the pitch complaint of the whole day was they were pour Peroni into pint glasses as the Wrexham Lager taps weren't working, was looking forward to a local drop
    • Atmosphere in the group was decent without any real agression. Wrexham fans feel a lot like us, pretty relaxed but get behind the team. Can see them competing with us for "Family Club of the Year" or whatever that award is/was called
    • View from the top of the away end isn't ideal with the half way line pillar, odd horizontal pillar under ther roof and a couple of lanky stewards. But definitely had worse.
    • Considering we seemingly can't get Hillbottom Road closed, it is very helpful that a large stretch of the main road outside the stadium is pedestrians only. Made the getaway very easy.
    • View of their fans reiterated on the walk back to the car as a number of groups commmented to us that they got lucky given how dominant we were in the second half. Really nice bunch,

Would definitely do the trip again (I'm predicting we'll both be in the same league next season) but will try to make a weekend of it.

• Bartolo for sure, but would like to see more of the dev squad get a run-out - the likes of Skura, Ward, Brody Peart etc.

Great chance to see the young lads in a competitive context, albeit one with not much consequence.

Give Ravizzoli a chance in goal as well, keeps Bishop on his toes.

If Jack Young’s still around (I think so?) then give him a punt too.

• Yes that’s probably not far off. Although Lubala may well be injured still, so perhaps one of Sadlier or Gmac to start given shortage of wide options.

Maybe Vokes to start with Bartolo to come on from the bench too.

I’d like to see Jack Young in the midfield. We need a midfielder that’s comfortable on the ball and capable of setting the tempo of our attacking play. He’s the closest we’ve got in playing style. Would be good to give him a chance at Northampton and at Wimbledon next Tuesday to see what he can offer.

• Those who were disappointed by Garath McCleary’s performance yesterday and the relatively early substitution of Kieran Sadlier, it may be of interest that, in his post match interview, Matt Bloomfield explained that the former had a stomach upset and the latter was cramping up.

• I think at this point Vokes is very much the impact sub type of player

• If ever a post needs an edit

• It wouldn't even let me load the page for a while to fix it and now it won't let me edit nor delete it. Just wanted to copy a picture of the tweet ffs.

• edited August 12

(edited by @drcongo because of the page breaking)

I found the secret message half way down....