Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Wrexham

Comments

• edited August 10

It’s really weird how this comes up every time we sign new players. I watch football all the time. I got into football when there was no football on telly. None. At all. I had such a hunger for football that I even watched that Sunday League programme presented by Danny Baker in the early 90’s.

I watch football all the time, live, on telly, highlights shows, the lot.

My job also involves football, and have covered Exeter City for over a decade, so have written about Hartridge since he came through their academy.

As for judgement, mine’s been much the same as yours. He was poor today. As was Bakinson, and we’re being kind.

• Defensively I'd definitely put it down the the back 4 needing to gel, Taff's familiarity over Hartridges would probably of made a small difference but I'm sure there was similarities in the Wrexham line up. Bakinson seemed to struggle with his positional sense and general awareness, hopefully as he gets to learn the role Blooms is asking of him he will improve. There wasn't many but a few glimpses of qualities from all the new boys.

Strange game in that 1st half Wrexham appeared to be on top but I imagine on the stats/Xg we may of edged it. It's a shame we couldn't capitalise on their frailties as they did to us but an enjoyable fixture I thought. Northampton a dull fixture but an interesting opportunity to see the rest of the squad given a good test, before a real chance to try set out AP as a fortress v Brum

• First 30 minutes we were on top but from then on, including the second half, you were the better team.

Our second half performance was awful and I just hope our new signings make it on to the pitch soon, because play like that for the rest of the season and we will be cannon fodder.

We got away with that one today, but I'm sure you will be fine this season - you seem a decent bunch so good luck.

• edited August 10

He was naive in jumping straight up and not appealing for the penalty then. Should have rolled around on the ground a bit. 😆

• I think we need to cut the grass at the training pitch. We overhit so many crosses and passes I assume the training pitch grass is a foot high.

It always amazes me that once errors start it infects everyone.

• This is absolute rubbish I'm afraid. Wrexham ought to have been able to take control of the game at 2-0 and see it out comfortably. But they began to run out of steam and we made the game pretty uncomfortable second half. Their supporters on the way out were describing it as a nail biting second half. If the game had been the other way round, nobody would be saying we'd taken our foot off the gas and let them come at us.

• Thought this was a reasonable comment from Bloomfield: “Nothing today surprised me as we’re in a building stage in which there’ll be good and bad bits.”

• edited August 10

You’re entitled to your view of course, it’s a game of opinions after all. All of our possession was in front of them, and has already been mentioned by several people, our passing and final ball was poor. Not once did we play a pass to get someone in behind their defence. Arthur Okonkwo didn’t have a shot to save in the second half, aside from our goals. Our only threat came from Richard Kone’s own skill and goalscoring instinct. At no point did it ever look like Wrexham weren’t going to win the game.

• edited August 10

Sadlier in the second minute?

And yes when you’re 2-0 down after half an hour it is unlikely you will get anything out of it. But Wrexham looked rattled for long periods and we always looked like we had a chance in a game that should have been long gone.

• I thought that was OK overall.

Both Wycombe and Wrexham defended poorly. I didn't think the attacking play from either side was that special, but both defences were soft.

Wrexham clearly have some quality. Players like Lee and Marriott are really good, and they've got some physicality to go with it. Not sure who he is but the guy with the slicked back hair in midfield looked like he could pull the strings. Quality ball in the lead up to third goal.

Kone is clearly more comfortable moving into little half spaces between the full back and centre back and receiving the ball to feet there. He's pretty useless as a conventional CF trying to win headers. I don't mind that as it pulls a CB out and is awkward to mark, and quite a good position from which to link up with the wingers or win a free kick. But we've got to then have a player from midfield getting beyond him and into the box.

Harvey looked tidy I thought. And despite the mistakes I actually thought Hartridge looked promising. He's pretty physical and looked relatively quick. I think he'll be decent.

Liked Udoh as well. Added some pace, which I still think we lack.

Overall, not a disaster but we'll need to sharpen up in the tackle and sort out the midfield. Bakinson as the deep player and Scowen further forward was weird.

Final thought - the atmosphere from the home fans was really good. Obviously helps that it's the first game in a new division, they're expecting to win etc. But it was still very good.

• PJSPJS
    edited August 10

Having just got back from the game I have just read through hundreds of posts and wondered whether I was at a different game. What a negative lot you lot at home are today! Not the ideal start going to sleep at the corner while Jack Grimmer was off the pitch and some further poor defending for their second. But we had already created a good couple of chances before their 2 goals and were unlucky not to score before half time. We then totally bossed the second half - not my words but those of half a dozen or so different Wrexham fans I chatted to on the way back to the car. Defensively particularly defensive midfield we need to improve, yes but some real positives there today. Had we not conceded that third I thought we may well have gone on to win. I’m certainly nowhere near as downbeat as some of you guys. COYB

• Had to move from my designated seat in the back row. Twice as many standing than seats (a la Oxford) and impossible to see the full pitch without stooping. Also the flatulent couple in the row in front were not a good advert for pure water Magic Dragon. Smelt like drains.

• And please stop that goal kick routine.

• Wow, didn’t take long for posters to have a pop at our new signings. Clearly they didn’t perform well but so didn’t a number of our more established players against , in my humble opinion , a relatively mediocre Wrexham side. It will take time to fully integrate these players and I’m sure they will in time become assets to our club. Patience is the word of today.

• I’m not sure why Taffs didn’t play today. Would have dealt with Wrexham’s front line a lot better than the other 2. I do think the new signings need time to settle in but I can’t say I’ve ever seen Taff play as poorly as what I witnessed today.

• Sums up exactly how I feel so I have no need to elaborate.

• Need another couple of quick wide players in. Lubala isn't a natural wide player, Mcleary looked his age and can't be expected to start every week and Sadlier only has about 60 mins in him. I'm sure the they'll be a couple of new faces in.

• Taf had a great run at the tail end of last season. Why not start him and Joe Low today and save experiments for Tuesday night’s game instead?

• edited August 10

Did your ticket say "restricted view"? Asking for a friend. 😁 I genuinely doubt we will ever see that many mis-kicked balls in a Wycombe game again. 30 would be a conservative estimate.

Definitely some good moments, which makes it galling, as that was a very winnable game.

• Have you forgotten we still have Hanlan in the squad?

• Thinking about the amount of misfit passes and the questionable debuts of a couple of our (competent and experienced at this level) players I do wonder how much nerves played a part in our performance yesterday.

For any new player in a team you must surely be anxious to perform and impress your new, soon to be adoring, fans.

Add to that the hype and focus of attention on yesterdays game I could easily see nerves getting the better of a lot of players out there.

• That wasn’t as bad as some are making out. Too soon to write off new signings and some positives- Kone second half, Udoh looked like he could be a handful. On another day with better passing we would have likely won that.

Some possibly odd tactical/selection choices (no Butcher surprised me the most) but we don’t know about fitness and what has been seen in training.

Excellent atmosphere in the ground and outside.

Not a bad day out.

• I guess the call between Hartridge and Taffazoli is a close one, but given Taffs injury record I imagine building a partnership between Low and Hartridge is a priority- perhaps something Bloomfield is alluding to. Also Bartolo as a creative replacement for McCleary will take time but it’s great to have seen him come on. Pleased to see Pattenden back too.

I think we do also need Hanlan ASAP as an extra bit of creative spark.

Would definitely have taken a draw so to lose with two goals scored isn’t that bad. Tough second league game at home to Birmingham next week but hopefully an improved performance will give us at least a point.

• I liked Bloomfield’s idea of playing Harvie at right back and Pattenden at left back. Helped us overload in the middle at times. I would like to see more of that this season when chasing games. Udoh was excellent when he came on.

• On the miss-placed passing issue it has to be a question of preparation. When we played Fleetwood in the playoffs we came out with zip and passed them off the pitch, they were clumsy and frustrated. That was yesterday. Football wise we looked like we had had a long break Wrexham hit the ground running and the result showed. They have some very decent players, but were definitely there for the beating. We lost a winnable game and it was down to a collective clumsiness in all areas.

• They were guilty of “clumsiness” too, which across the game offered us several direct routes to goal. We just didn’t take any of those chances.

• The 2nd Wrexham goal is rightly getting some plaudits on social media but you can’t give Jack Marriot that much space. Who was supposed to be marking him? That’s clumsy, not following your man.

• Harvie played right back for 5-10 mins late on in the game. Pattenden played left back for 5-10 mins late on in the game