Skip to content

Watford Friendly July 30th

Comments

• edited July 31

I’m not sure why you’re fabricating stuff. I had to go to the Watford website just to make sure I’m not losing my marbles. Cleverley name dropped five players on their website that were injured - Louza, Bayo, Vata, Sierralta and Sema. He didn’t mention Asprilla who is their top asset - potentially being sold. There were at least five others that didn’t start. And to top it all off Cleverley is quoted “On Saturday (against Brentford) we will probably play our cards a bit more” - alluding clearly to the fact they didn’t start many of their top players against us but will against Brentford.

• Not sure why you think I’m fabricating anything as these are his quotes:

“[Some of] the lads played on Saturday - you are trying to get minutes into everyone,” he said.

Cleverley also provided an injury update on a few more Hornets.

“[Rocco] Vata sickness, [Francisco] Sierralta picked up a head injury in training yesterday, and [Ken] Sema rolled his ankle, but should be alright for Saturday,” he said.

Anyway, they have a huge Championship squad with a wide choice of experienced players and we made them look second best, that’s what really matters.

• Your quote at 10.48 today enequivocally stated "their squad last night was at full strength". As @frequentstander and I have evidenced, your statement is patently incorrect.

• Didn't see the game but read some of this thread.

Can someone for certain tell me that we've beaten a top championship side and are odds on for a massively successful season.

Or did we beat a half interested unfit team whose lineup was nothing like their proper lineup and it's no indication of how we will fare?

Reasoned posters only please, not the massively optimistic or massively pessimistic types please.😁

• Some great phases of play. Some less impressive phases of play. We fared well in both halves, but particularly well when Watford had four or five teenagers on the pitch in the second half. We deserved our win. We looked very exciting at times. We should caveat this with the fact that Watford were not at full strength. Most importantly, we shouldn’t make sweeping judgments on any of this based on the tiny sample size of only one friendly. I came away from the game excited for the season but not carried away. I’m not what you’d call a reasoned poster though.

• @Malone Not sure whether that would have been a Watford side likely to start the first Championship game of the season, but what I do know is that I've rarely seen a pre-season friendly where we've looked more up for it, raring to go, and totally motivated, than last night's game. We didn't seem to be too rattled by Watford's first goal, and our opener just seemed to rattle them far more, probably due to the circumstances, but hey-ho.

Second half was all us really, Bishop had very little to do, and while they seemed to want to turn it into a battle at every opportunity, we just got on with the game in a very impressive manner. Shame we conceded the late goal, made the scoreline look closer than it should have done, but all in all, a highly impressive performance. I for one am very optimistic for the upcoming season.

• 🤝

@RyanTafazolli

and

@DanUdz9

were on target in a 2-2 draw against a Chelsea XI in a behind-closed-doors friendly of 4x30 minutes this lunchtime.

Sam Vokes featured for the first time in pre-season after recovering from a minor injury

• Focusing on us a bit more than Watford, my thoughts on the newbies...

Bishop - reasonably quiet game for him but looked pretty solid. Huge kicks, with fairly decent accuracy, when wanting to go long but also seemed comfortable knocking it around the back. Maybe could have pushed the shot wider for the second goal but overall looks good.

Harvie - Got up and down well all game, nice to have an overlapping full back. Think we've found a decent replacement for JJ.

Hartridge - Went about his business without too much fuss. Maybe could have got a toe in to stop the first goal, suspect he would've done if it was a proper match. Another good addition.

Bakinson - fantastic to have some height in midfield. Got caught a couple of times when receiving the ball from defence and trying to turn with it, dangerous place to lose possession. But other than that he controlled midfield well.

Trialist - very lively. Great work to set up the shot which lead to the third goal. Gave away a stupid freekick when Watford defender was under some pressure but that will come with experience. Would be surprised if he isn't offered something for the season.

Overall, looks like we've added real quality to the squad with the signings. I am more excited about our prospects for the season than I've been for a while!

• That's why their number one keeper was on the bench!

• There are definitely some things which can be looked for in preseason irrespective of the caveats, and for me those elements were pleasing. We looked cohesive, we looked full of ideas for manufacturing goals, and we also seemed sharp.

Even if we get walloped at Wrexham, I do feel we have a much stronger (and obviously more stable) than the one we went into last season with, and we should be 4-3-3 out of the gate too. What's not to like?

• Watford also has a team at Chesham yesterday, so the team we played can't have been too understrength.

• edited July 31

The main thing I took away was the distinct change in shape. We normally played with an out and out lone 10 last season - Taylor for most of the season.

Last night we played with two roaming 8s (Leahy and Scowen) with Bakinson much deeper. Watford’s two inside forwards (Chakvetadze sp? and Ince) caused him a lot of grief dragging him laterally across the pitch and opening up a lot of gaps.

I agree with the other poster that it was nice to see Harvie provide overlaps. That’s something we’ve lacked under Bloomfield’s tenure. A more attacking left back was an astute signing as it creates important asymmetry since Grimmer tends to be a more defensively capable full back, even though he managed to get forward a little bit more than usual yesterday.

Scowen and Leahy were tenacious and did very well on second balls against a difficult Watford midfield that started the game with a Champions League finalist - Sissoko was their best player before he went off.

Sadlier looked superb when he came on and could be an extremely important player for us this season.

Kone looks heavier in a positive way; less gangly and much stronger. His first touch was a bit rusty at times but you expect that at this level with a man of his physique. His movement remains superb and he bullied two very experienced pros in Hoedt and Porteus.

You could see the lack of cohesion in defensive phases off the ball. Grimmer wasn’t used to his midfield partner (Scowen) playing so high and leaving a big gap which allowed Chakvetadze to cause a bit of havoc in the half space between Bakinson, Grimmer and Joe Low. The left side was obviously brand new. Hartridge looks a bit one-footed but you expect that from a centre back in League 1. Hartridge, Harvie, Leahy and Lubala on that side could all benefit from more games together. They definitely appeared more cohesive in the second half as Sadlier came on (but their opponent Sissoko came off which was probably a big chunk of the reason for our improvement).

A great game, even for neutrals yesterday.

• Based on the second half performance - I had difficulty getting logged on and then only on my iPhone - most of your observations, @frequentstander, ring true. I disagree though about Jack Grimmer having got forward “more than usual”. He must be one of the most adventurous fullbacks (as opposed to wingback) in League 1. A regular concern of mine last season was his tendency to get caught in possession well into the opposition half.

• Great start

• Great start for you, young Delia. Welcome aboard.

• Harvie made a couple of great sliding tackles too.

• He did indeed. But my heart is always in my mouth (which is not in my best interests) especially in and around the box.

Chris Forino was a bit hit or miss in that respect.

• In fairness our keeper with number 1 on his Jersey was also on the bench

• Daniel Bachmann played 27 of Watford’s 46 league games last season and lost his regular place in the team after being sent off against Leicester in February.

• Not sure why you think I took your post the wrong way or why you think it was in any way personal as I would have made the same response to anyone. As it happens I agree with you about tempering expectations about the forthcoming season but Watford’s defeat to Gillingham had no bearing on last night’s game and in no way detracts from Wycombe’s performance.

• It’s remarkable that so many words have been typed about a pre-season friendly.

They’re gash.

• edited July 31

Bachmann obviously missed a few games after getting sent off, but he played ALL 11 of their final league games and Hamer who replaced him for a while has now left. Bond who played yesterday hasn't played a EFL game for 6 years is hardly going to take over the number 1 spot from an Austrian International.

• Actually I never said it did, I wasn't just as bullish as your good self!

• Every time I have visited the Gasroom today I have had sign in all over again. It’s very frustrating but sadly for fellow posters not enough to deter me from trying again 😃. Could DrCongo or any other poster with more knowledge than me (i.e. every other person!) please tell me how to solve it?

• You two need to let it go. Tit for tat is getting neither of you anywhere apart from wound up.

Both of you think you are right... both have given evidence to try to prove your points.

No one cares if it was a full strength watford or a half strength watford we beat convincingly.

We won.

Let's leave it there, it's really not that important.

Let's unite and get behind the boys for the season ahead! 💪

• edited July 31

I will say that the main thing about the game is that it whetted the appetite for the season ahead.

For all of us on here too, it was a nice Gasroom preseason run out. I think we saw some good quips and pithy comments that bodes well for our ability to indulge in wry humour on the actual match day threads once the games start.

With the actual analysis of the contest, I think we are all still just getting minutes into minds that have had the summer off. I am confident that we will all be sharp and ready to go come Wrexham away.