Skip to content

Reading offer Bearwood training ground to Wycombe

Comments

• Maybe 👀

With a bit of pocketing the Michael Olise sell on money.

• edited July 9

The Gasroom is unparalleled for its theories.

A billionaire buying us to have a tinker, a mess about, before buying that well known giant of a club Reading in a few years when he's learnt the ropes.

75 year old Robby C keeping things ticking over at Reading until then.

• Who knows , this may not be too far away from the truth. Wouldn’t surprise me if his new billionaire ‘ friend ‘ is somewhere in the background funding Couhigs potential purchase of Reading. Also gives Dan Rice an opportunity to hone his skills at a small club before moving onto a bigger club with potential to get into the Premier league .

• edited July 10

Dan Rice was already at a Premier League club.

He’s taken a huge risk career wise by changing his primary job role/function at a Premier league club to becoming someone effectively running the day to day of a league one club.

• I will be devastated if he takes over Reading and builds a chairlift between the ground and the Costco car park.

• I know Dan Rice was at a Premier League club but with a limited role.. Now he’s No 1, running the ship. Great experience for future employment prospects, including running Reading?

• edited July 10

The last 3 words aren’t needed though and nothing but playground gossip and speculation.

Yes, maybe reading. But also everyone other football club in the country in equal measure.

it’s still a huge risk interms of career development. He might turn out to be terrible and can’t get a position in his old field at the same levels of role, pay and conditions he had previously.

• Some wild conspiracies emerging!

Occam's razor suggests the following course of events for me:

Rob tried to buy RFC's training ground, and failed.

But in the process (or perhaps by virtue of the publicity), came into contact with other Americans interested in buying Reading.

As a fellow countryman with experience navigating the EFL, he was roped into facilitating a deal on their behalf, and in exchange he can make a tidy commission and have a golden retirement.

• That's cute of them to think that we're particularly bothered. The usual Biscuitville massive club delusions of grandeur as hilarious as ever.

• I know I have posted on this thread but at the end of the day I say good luck to them and that goes to Rob and Reading.

We have a very exciting season coming up and people who are building a real solid structure at our club. COYB!!!!

• Occam’s razor would slice off the unnecessary third parties and suggest that Rob Couhig is acting on his own behalf. He may in the future seek others to invest as a means of moving risk, but he had always sought as full an ownership and as unburdened a hand as possible. My guess is that he will take control and then work on loosening the covenant around Bearwood.

• It's a bit mysterious, but I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to care about who owns Reading.

Apart from the obvious, I couldn't name another L1 owner.

• @TheDancingYak Did he ever actually say that though, or did we just assume that’s why he’s sold us on?

He said exactly that in the Heros of HP12 podcast before one of the games last season, Exeter I think, though could be wrong on which podcast it was, which is why I find the whole scenario a bit bizarre!

• Only if you he lied about his reasons for exiting WWFC, and that he lied about his personal fortune.

• Exactly this.

I'm surprised more people aren't upset that all the Couhigs' declared love, passion and devotion to Wycombe seems to have melted away faster than the annual dusting of snow over the Chilterns. Maybe, all along, he just saw Wycombe as a distressed asset he could exploit and then sell on for a massive profit before moving onto the next opportunity that crossed his path?

That's no criticism of him, by the way - more an observation. Sometimes you have to strip the emotion out of matters when analysing people's motivations - particularly random Americans with no previous links to the club.

• Did anyone believe that Couhig had love, passion and devotion to Wycombe when first becoming interested in acquiring the club - not sure that has even been suggested.

As he became involved I suspect those feelings grew, while focusing also on the value of his asset quite rightly.

Then came the time to exit.

He left the club in better shape than when he acquired it. That is all we can ask. IF he made a few quid (no idea whether he did or not) doesn't strike me as any of our business.

• But how would that help explain the voices in @aloysius's head telling him to purge the darkness?

• @DevC the only person mentioning Couhig's motivations "when first becoming interested in acquiring the club" is you.

@drcongo the only voice that seems to follow me around is you.

• Not sure how much exploiting of the club the Couhig's did considering we were struggling to maintain our position without going under as a fan owned club before him, and from the information publicly available, we are now in a healthier position owned by someone else who has vast resources.

It could all go wrong now, but I'm not sure what else we could realistically ask if an owner who isn't an outright Chairboys philanthropist

• The only important thing to me is that the Couhigs left us in a better state than when they arrived. It doesn't bother me in the least if they made lots of money out of it, and even less, if he turns round another lame duck.

• Why aren't more people upset about things they know nothing about that might not actually happen, blind rage is what we are short of in the world at the moment, more please. I'm upset at myself for posting this if that helps.

• This forum learned nothing from Bearwood season 1.

• It’s the off season so there’s nothing to moan about or praise about the football, so why not get angry, upset or even happy on things that may or may not happen. It’s the joy of posting on a forum.

• Joe Jacobson is reportedly going to be the Reading CEO once Couhig takes control

• Joe Jacobson is reportedly going to be the Reading CEO once Couhig takes control

• Any news on what JJ is doing next?

• edited July 11

Word on the streets is that he's going to be the new CEO of ADT Alarms.

• What a strange world we live in. JJ as CEO. Ainsworth as manager?

• They should have let us buy Bearwood. Instead we’re taking over the whole club.