Skip to content

Euro 2024

Comments

• Also spotted this bad boy in Cologne city centre

• edited June 26

Did GS watch the Peter Taylor Wycombe promotion year?

The big question mark going into the tournament was about the defence. In the 3 games we have barely given guilt edge chances and only conceded a long range effort that any keeper would have conceded.

I’m really clutching at straws but the one big positive is this:

Southgate either gets sacked/leaves, or we win the Euros. There’s no other option.

• Ed_Ed_
    edited June 26

We have been coughing up possession in our own half against the press against Serbia and Denmark. Germany have enough talent up front to take full advantage.

• We are not playing Germany until I think the final….

It is a dreadful watch at the moment. So slow, no movement, no runs, nothing. So unexpected given the apparent attacking riches.

Knock outs are traditionally very different to groups. I am going to try to persuade myself to forget the last few games and remain optimistic.

so many team choices to make

Foden or Bellingham at 10 (Foden for me)

Saka or Palmer on right (Palmer)

Foden, Gordon or ANO on left (who knows -Gordon?)

Mainoo or Bellingham in midfield (Mainoo)

left back - god knows -

I think that means my team would not have Saka or Bellingham - the two I would have named as the best two players pre tournament. Kane is probably only there because there really is no one else.

• Yep, exactly.

I think he'll walk even if we win the tournament to be honest.

• Ukraine out with 4 points. Arf.

• Belgium are the kings of bad body language.

• Lukaku has to be one of my least favourite players to watch.

Always pointing, throwing his arms up and moaning. Plus making you question how he's at international level a lot of the time.

• On the subject of throwing arms up in the air and moaning, was it just me or was there an awful lot of that going on in the England team last night, particularly first half.

• Georgia with an absolutely superb breakaway goal to remedy some of the recent stale games.

• It is amazing the motivation and enthusiasm that can come from knowing one of your nationals just bought Wycombe Wanderers.

• Belgium, Netherlands and England should play an "international underachievers cup" every year so that someone gets silverware.

• Do we underachieve though, based on the size of our country?

Or do we base our expectations on having one of if not the best league?

Even though a high percentage of the best players are usually not English?

• edited June 26

Khvicha Kvaratskhelia. We've got the money and the owner could chuck in a few eagles. But I fear PSG have turned his head.

• edited June 26

England has the 6th biggest population in Europe, above Spain and not far behind Italy. We also have a larger population than Argentina.

We have a remarkably well supported league and non-league system, and produce players of world class caliber every generation.

Just this tournament we have La Liga player of the season, the Premier League player of the season, and the Bundesliga golden boot, but our attack ranks 17/24 in shots and 19/24 in xG.

We almost always make it out of the group and get to roughly the QF stage (indicating we are consistently one of the "main contenders" on paper), but we always lose to the first serious contender we meet, almost without fail. We also often fail to grasp incredible opportunities to progress against these sides, such as Gazza's studs, leading against Argentina 98, Brazil 02, Croatia 18 etc.

I am not saying we should win every tournament, but one WC win, one Euro final appearance and a record of roughly 2-16 in knockout games against major contenders constitutes a huge underachievement.

• You have to remember, Shev. Scotland are plucky losers and England are cocky losers. All this talk about 'winning' shows you've been in America a long time.

• So if Portugal avoid losing to Georgia, England will get the Netherlands instead of Slovakia.

So what happens? 2-0 Georgia. Southgate's magic draw keeps striking again!

• Looks like England Italy QF.

Another ITV repeat on a Sunday afternoon?

• We could have an England-France final with the following paths:

France: Belgium, Portugal, Spain/Germany

England: Slovakia, Switzerland, Romania/Austria

• The way they are playing and the way we've been playing I'd say Georgia will be delighted to get us

• Sigh..........

• The Georgia keeper is my favourite keeper in this tournament, outstanding at everything he does. Who does he play club football for?

• Valencia

• Valencia apparently. And only 23!

• Too slow.

• Based on rankings, this is the biggest upset in the Euros history

• That was a fantastic watch.

• They showed real spirit and run their socks off. Amazing win and great game to watch.

• Georgia are an antidote to the curse of the modern game, endless passing sideways and backwards. Their only thought is to get the ball forward quickly. They play football we all want to watch. It's exciting, entertaining, exhilarating.