Skip to content

Euro 2024

Comments

• Cant wait for the season to start, at least if WWFC are rubbish I actually care, whereas this lot I care nowt about

• edited June 25

Was just thinking back on how Blooms dragged us out of a similar run, can we send over Crystal Palaces u-18s and Crawley's reserves for some morale boosting victories or are we too afraid they'd play us off the park.

• The 'Great Escape' rendition from the England supporters was fantastic tonight. Never heard a louder or longer lasting version.

Here's to the fifty.

• (and we lost to the first contender we played that year after a jammy draw too).

• Could Gareth Southgate's England copyright the word 'Turgid'? They would make millions!

• edited June 25

Jordan Pickford on England's attacking issues: "We have got to keep a positive mindset and bring the positives. We know we weren't perfect, but we didn't get beat in three games."

Oh yes Jordan - you just fell that teeeny bit short of perfect.

Also, why all this blather about a positive mindset, when the play on the pitch is so negative? How about positive tactics? Positive passes? Positive runs?

• I'm just watching itv news and in the headlines the presenter said 'can England escape their group'

• It is really worrying what's going on in the media

• It was on half ten if anyone fancies a laugh get on it X.

Although I fear there are sinister forces at work here

• Can't load the video on here. Are you under Putin's thumb @drcongo ?

• It’s about to get more exciting surely? knock out football means someone has to win each game.

Frankly a lot of matches so far (36 in total?) to knock out 8 teams from 24 and arrange a first round draw in a 16 team tournament.

But some of the games have been great to be fair,

• Were you at the game, or just hearing it on TV?

• England are such a boring watch, I could barely keep my eyes open watching the game tonight. In fact I think I lost consciousness a few times in the first 80 minutes.

• I'm going out from the qfs onwards. (Arrogant and optimistic I know).

So was watching this. Tom Bradley his name is. A quick Google search suggests he is a bit of a wally

• Sorry you were referring to a different post!

No I wasn't there but great to see

• Those 10 minutes or so, keeping the chant going, were much more entertaining than the rest of the match. It was great atmosphere in the stadium.

• You there @Twizz ?

• Yes, just for this game. I would return for SF & F - if we made it through (unlikely I know).

• We could do this down the Rye.

• Superb mate

• I've got a cancellable room for the final if you need a place

• Later on in said itv report (Steve Scott)

Quote 'some people wondered why they had bothered'

I suspect that's a lie

• Absolute whopper Steve Scott.

• The only reason anyone watches itv is during a tournament.

Dregs

• Rumour has it that a few of the continental sides have players training together before the competition begins, typical underhand tactics from Johnny foreigner.

• I did wonder for a while as footmob had Denmark 2nd yet Slovenia were celebrating wildly, and for a moment I thought we'd have to wait for the next games to sort the best 3rd places.

But then it came clear with 2 3rd place teams either having worse goal difference or lower points already!

So much easier with a straight top 2 qualify isn't it?

• It was all been a bit pre season these last 3, eh?

or at least that’s what I’m telling myself in the hope they kick on now.

• Enjoy watching England grind out the 0-0s with wins in the penalty shoot outs. They lift the trophy and UEFA decide to abandon the competiton and make the World Cup every two years.

Could happen.

• We were behind the goal last night. Highlight of the game was a sensational fifteen minute rendition of the Great Escape.

The team is sensationally boring but (and I accept this isn't the standard narrative) I'm not sure we're really that bad. We conceded virtually no chances last night and didn't really have to absorb any pressure. Our strategy seems to be to slow games down, play cagey football and take no risks. The aim of that I'm sure must be to conserve energy, keep clean sheets and leave ourselves with something 'in the tank' for the knockouts and inevitable extra time.

It is absolutely diabolical to watch and I'd hate it if this were my club team. It really is 'couldn't watch that every week's stuff. But they aren't my club team and I don't have to watch it every week. All I really care about is whether we can progress and win the tournament. I'd happily take 0-0 and 1-0 results all the way.

Plenty of teams that have won tournaments have done so playing really cagey football. It looks like we're trying to copy that approach. Admittedly, we've taken it to an incredibly extreme level of risk aversion.