Skip to content

Euro 2024

Comments

• edited June 24

England have reached the last 16

• edited June 24

What a strange and beautiful game it is - Hungary will probably reach the last 16 owing to a combination of scoring with the last kick of the game v Scotland, and Italy scoring with the last kick of the game v Croatia. For them to go out Slovenia would have to beat England, among other things.

Still hate 3rd placed teams going through, though!

• I expect England to play well in the last game now, because of the pressure of qualification being off and to answer the critics. 3-0 or something.

• Am I right in thinking that Croatia (love ‘em) can still go through if England beat Slovenia by 3-0 or more ?

• I think Serbia would also need to lose and results in the Czech group would also have to go their way.

• I agree 100%. Pedestrian possession based football from Scotland, while playing most of the game with a flat back 5 in a game they needed to win…crazy.

Why don’t they play League One football with ‘long passes’ added in?

• Agree it's an odd system where 2 points might be enough to progress, whereas in the Belgian group they could all have 4 points and whoever is bottom wouldn't progress.

But thems the rules so ..

• This Time

More than any other time

We're going to find a way

• It's a truly woeful format really.

But do we really want to go up to 8 groups of 4 instead of 6? As that'd be their next move.

• Yes. More football = good.

• Would be more sensible. At least teams would know they have to finish first or second

• I got the feeling you weren't enjoying a lot of games so far. Maybe that was just England and Scotland.

• Those have been easily the worst games. Been loving watching Spain though, and all the late drama we've been getting.

• I haven’t been enjoying the games either, modern football has coalesced into a single system of every man behind the ball, gentle nudge just enough to put the player off when receiving the ball but not enough for the ref to call a foul, fall over whenever you lose a 50/50, stop play at set pieces by falling over and holding your head, nip the break in bud early with cynical block, always kick/carry/throw the ball away, get some cramp to run down the clock. It has been turgid fayre.

• Selfishly hoping for Slovenia, Slovakia, and Austria to all get through - I’m on holiday in those three countries over the next 10 days so would love to be able to watch one of them play whilst I’m there!

• edited June 25

That moment when you realize that all of the group stage palaver has just been to remove 8 (rather mediocre) teams, and that if it was a 16 team tournament like it used to be, they would not have been there to begin with.

• BTW, if France can't find a way to score in this half, they will join Germany, Spain and Portugal in the other half of the draw (assuming England win the group).

Can Southgate work his draw-opening magic again?

• Dembele found a way to fall over in the area.

• England may get whoever comes 3rd in this group, which would actually be a very hard R16 draw, whether it is Austria or the Netherlands.

• edited June 25

The permutations seem to be changing every 30 seconds. Now the Dutch have equalized and Poland have a penalty which they miss, but is going to be retaken...

...edit, and Austria score right as a finish writing that!

...double edit, and Poland score the retaken pen. Austria now winning the group!

• And there is another soft one, but this time the defender at least makes contact with the attacker rather than the other way around. But isn’t there a rule against stopping during the run up? Farsical stuff.

• Keown is on a mission to get it all wrong in this France - Poland game.

Didn't think it was a pen. Didn't think the keeper moved.

Lewandowski is a lucky fella though. Horrible stop start pen technique, just about squeezed the 2nd go in.

• Austria are a joy to watch. Having them in our side of the draw instead of France may actually not be any kind of reprieve!

• edited June 25

Rangnick's 5D chess will be your downfall.

You'll easily beat the Dutch

• Southgate does work his flukey magic! Barring upsets, QF lineup in other half will be Germany v Spain and France v Portugal.

That being said, we could have to go Netherlands, Italy/Switzerland, and something like Belgium/Austria, and some of those teams may actually be in better form than the favourites.

• Surely that start-stop-start technique from Lewandowski is against the rules? If it isn't it should be...

• I am sick of the stutter runup with pens. Against the spirit of the law if not the letter. I think players should have to maintain a consistent speed throughout the runup.