Skip to content

Mikheil Lomtadze confirmed as one of three new directors

Comments

• edited May 23

But they were able to get a piece out for the Watford friendly. I’m not buying that as an excuse/reason for not doing a basic “knowing me/knowing you” piece on the website.

• From the little we've heard from the newly-minted minted owner there's been very little about funding big signings and mainly talk about building up a new youth system. Which IMO is definitely the way to go for an investment in WWFC. Realistically crowds won't increase enough to make buying success on the pitch pay off, but building a youth system that can churn out a rough gem or two every now and then can pay real dividends. Memories of the club almost going to the wall after a previous owner played fast and loose with the club's finances running up massive debts chasing the dream are still too fresh for me at least. There have been many hard yards to muck out the stables and get the club running on a vaguely even keel under the Trust to let it all go the same way again.

• He’s in the middle of buying Reading and merging us into Thames Valley Wanderers. Hence the silence is deafening.

Im saying this tongue in cheek but the more silence there is the more the mind boggles…

• Has he passed the owners test yet as I don’t recall seeing anything saying he has?

• Yes, the club statement when released said: "The club is delighted to announce that – following clearance from the EFL – Mikheil Lomtadze, Eduard Vyshnyakov and Dan Rice have joined the Board of Directors of Wycombe Wanderers Football Club."

Someone may correct me that that is not actually the owner's test? But as far as I can see, it has all the EFL approval required.

• Yes. I can't say I'm too worried about any of this perceived delay. They have a lot of stuff to decide. I'm happy for them to get on with that and tell us when they're ready.

I also quite like the idea of an low-profile owner, so would welcome more of it - rather a quaint old concept these days.

• There'll be an announcement during the official unveiling of the Lomtadze statue at the ground.

• edited May 24

Let’s be honest, this has been more than in the works since Feb/when the directorship resignations got handed in early accidentally.

We all knew ML was in the back ground and the money behind the schemes planned in the last 6 to 12 months.

Theres keeping a low profile and then there’s staying underground.

Like I said, I’m not hitting the panic buttons just yet - and it’s not lost on me that in a few weeks there’s a massive football festival kicking off that will dominate most things football related - but I am surprised we haven’t heard, at the very least, from the guy that we’ve got in from Everton who is going to have most power we, as football fans, will care most about in working with Blooms in shaping the future of the squad/team.

• I always worry about the money, but I'm less worried now than I was this time last year.

• A low-profile owner is fine, but as fans we thrive on information- even snippets- it's all part of the fun. The owner (should) also be accountable to the fans.

Whilst blind loyalty prevents us from acting like pure customers (ie voting with our feet) a good owner respects that and recognises supporters as key stakeholders. In fairness to Rob Couhig he has done this despite occasionally voicing objections to our concerns.

• Probably Lomtadze would be less worried about losing the odd million than Sharly was!

• Maybe they’ve seen how Rob Couhig often got treated when he made himself available and have decided to dial it down a bit.

Sadly, I’ve worked in places where you aim to communicate and be straight with people about things and unfortunately, you always end up being sniped at by a small but vocal crowd of know it alls and shit stirrers.

At the end of the day, that gets demoralising and withdrawing from the fray just becomes the sensible option. I predict within a year, even Couhig’s harshest critics will have their rose-tints on. Just in the same way that Gaz critics got misty-eyed about him during the bleak period last season.

• edited May 24

Question has been asked on this and the season ticket thread about the current commercial operation at the club. We know Rob C was really a lawyer not a businessman, and Pete C backed off some time ago, we know there was never a replacement for Phil Alexander, we know Harry Gadd who ran commercial sponsorships left last season for the LTA. We know Matt Cecil and Phil C are more comms than commercial. That leaves Neil Peters, whose commitment to the cause is unquestionable, with the help of two or three juniors running everything - which feels like quite a stretch of resources. I have no inside info but presumably the enigmatic Edward Vyshnyakov (let’s call him Eddie C. for brevity) must be in place to look after Lomtadze financial interests?

• yes - I was assuming that Vyshnyakov would become CEO in time.

• edited May 24

That could be a brilliant tag line for the gasroom, "a small but vocal crowd of know it alls and sht stirrers"..brilliant.

• If people are a bit concerned about being sniped at by a vocal minority, I would suggest being an owner of a football club isn’t the industry they should get involved in.

Football fans are (sometimes) scum.

• He’s buying Chelsea’s training ground and bringing in Poch. Or appointing himself as manager. Or bribing someone somewhere so we start the season with an all Kazakh outfield.

I’ve given up worrying. Once we know something then we can applaud/gasp/groan/call for someone’s head/chain ourselves to the railings.

• If Mikheil wanted to shaft the club, he might make a few million quid off the back of it. But that's sofa change to him, it's just not worth his time or the bad publicity. I could be very wrong of course.

• Yongge is supposedly worth as of today $3.7billion, but it hasn't stopped him shafting Reading.

• I take your point, I guess what makes Lomtadze slightly different is that Rob Couhig has had a chance to run the rule over him. For what it's worth, I do tend to trust RC. Always have.

• I think you'll be right in the intentions, but you're probably wrong on the other sentiment - these rich hungry types don't say no to pursuing more money or they'd have probably stopped at their first million or billion!

• You’re challenging @Malone as the ultimate spaceman.

And leading the charge to become the most prolific poster in the appropriate category of @Shev’s proposed poll.

• Crikey. Looks like I’m taking a tilt at the category for the most ‘p’s in a sentence.

• As well as making the most baffling post on the gasroom for some time.

• Why are we worried about "silence"? The 23/24 season hasn't even finished yet.

We won't sign any players just yet in case they get injured playing in the Euros :-P

• I suspect we will sign a Georgian international. My favourite would be:

Kakabadze who of course plays for Cracovia.