Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• Sad news from across the pond. Gary Smith and Steve Guppy have lost their jobs at Nashville SC where they had done such a great job in recent years but made a disappointing start to this season. Seems like the impatient attitude of some English fans and club owners has crossed the Atlantic.

• Speaking of which, Norwich have just sacked David Wagner.

• Football really has gone mad.

• I watched that game last night, surprised he wasn't sacked before the final whistle

• Oxford City placed in the NL North, Chesham in the South, much to their relief I reckon.

• Ooof, that's harsh on Oxford. There's got to be a better way to divide it than drawing a line.

• It’s very tough. They can appeal but I’m not sure who else would go in the North in their place. There’s always a southernmost northern team

• Yeah, it won't change. I just reckon (not that I've done the maths) there's a better system, one based on travel time between clubs maybe.

• @eric_plant Elland Road is one hell of a place to receive personal abuse. A couple of minutes of nothing but 40,000 voices shouting "Ashley Barnes is f*cking sh*t", and then the manager subs him so he then has to endure the ultimate walk of shame.

• Bad week for Oxford City - lost manager Ross Jenkins to Borehamwood a couple of days ago. Did an incredible job at City; I *think* they were the only part-time club in the NL this season, so were always up against it.

• But then Oxford is on the M40 which quickly gets you to the M4/5 for western games and M6 for northern games. Well, not quickly but you know what I mean.

I’ve seen a couple of suggestions that there should be a midlands league at step 2, but that’s basically the system that was replaced twenty years ago.

• A bizarre career in that he is a two club man who never left a club!

• He's only 62 games away from hitting 1000 appearances and has averaged 45 games per season over 21 years. That's some achievement even if you don't like them/him.

• Wealdstone are also part-time. Maidenhead and Dorking too afaik.

• edited May 17

THC Wycombe Wanderers go top of the NFYL Southern Championship with one game to go with a slightly better goal difference than they started the day with.

• Mmmmm, tetrahydrocannabinol.

• The National League Allocations for next season

https://www.thefa.com/news/2024/may/17/the-fa-releases-national-league-system-club-allocations-for-steps-1-6-in-2024-25-term

Some clubs have already appealed so these are not final standings.

Here are some of our local sides who have moved.

With three teams north of them, Chesham were always going into the South division.

Bad news for Oxford City.

Marlow successfully appealed their Southern League allocation last summer, we will see if they do so again.

Only Beaconsfield are south of Flackwell, just. Thame reprieved.

Amersham will be mainly heading south.

Winslow travelling east and south.

Chalfont looking south as well. Although showing as below the relegation line in the league table, Holmer are saying put.

• Non League Maps already have next season mapped out. I can only find the link on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/NonLeagueMaps/status/1791453910466470210

• I should have posted these on Local Football.

• edited May 17

Great work @Steve_Peart Thank you.

• Southampton have done a great job of silencing the home fans in the first half.

• edited May 18

Outrageous that Marlow and Bracknell have to join what is virtually a south western division at this level. When Bishops Stortford, Oxford C etc were put in the northern national at least the pyramid level is high enough to justify long journeys nearly every week but Marlow on their budget having to go to Devon etc is ridiculous might as well stick them in the northern league with the Geordies and be done with it, it's that mad.

• Devon is a lot closer to Marlow than Newcastle.

• edited May 18

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet elsewhere ?

But that Henley college Wycombe Wanderers team that won the cup the other week beat QPR youth team 13-0 yesterday ! I wonder if any of these lads might get offered a place in the academy/ development squads ?

They also beat Chelsea 4-1 during the week. Apparently have one game left against Tottenham, and if they win it, they win the league.

• Marlow are in the Central division. Not coming Devon way. Bracknell have to come to Plymouth once.

Didcot and Thatcham, one level lower, have to visit west cornwall three times. About to get a lesson in Geography it seems....

Frm their social media "Didcot Town have been placed in the Southern League Division One South for the 2024/25 season following their relegation at the end of last season.

The railwaymen have one local game to look forward to with Thatcham Town in the same division but they also face some lengthy trips to Helston Athletic, Falmouth and Exmouth in Cornwall." Doh.

• I can only presume the other teams are affiliated colleges to professional teams too.

• edited May 18

I might have misread but have Marlow not been promoted out of the central division to the southern premier south? (Same division as Bracknell)

Where they will play Plymouth parkway?

And a few others that don't look particularly close.

• Oops my mistake. Think I saw another list that had them in central.