Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• The same two Solihull players missed their pens too. Ouch!

• Leverkusen now just 3 games off an unbeaten treble. Final league game this weekend, followed by the Europa League final and German Cup final.

• Has anyone seen the various videos of the Old Trafford waterfalls? And we think we've got a leaky roof...

• It's a very powerful image to demonstrate what can happen if football clubs fall into the wrong ownership

And to think it need never have happened had Alex Ferguson not fallen out with a couple of Irish fellas over a racehorse

• Not sure the ownership are motivated to spend money on the stadium while they try to convince the government to spend public money on a new one for them in "the Wembley of the north"

• They can try , to be fair ineos may be a lot of dodgy things but tighter than the glazers is probably hard to achieve.

Will be good to hear "This is the One" being rotated for "Waterfall" on the stadium announcers playlist though, same album, easy as anything.

• Neil Warnock back in football - has joined Torquay new board. They have poached Truro's manager - just as Truro are due to be moving back to the county. Suggests Torquay might be (finally) upwardly mobile?

• So many questions as to what on earth is going on in this video: https://twitter.com/JustEatIE/status/1790401488067383461

The wealdstone raider makes an appearance just for you @flymofrank. Not sure Dubliners would get the reference though?

• Please Spurs 🙏

• I do think this has raised the very interesting question of "should you always want your team to win?" I understand the other perspective, but I would want Wycombe to win a meaningless game even if it meant Oxford and Peterborough going up and Derby magically paying their debts.

• I like the Raider, he’s the sort of little bloke that you see at most non league games . He made the most of his 15 minutes.

• The club have tweeted a photo of Brandan Hanlan running (on 60% of his body weight) for the first time in six months.

• Villa have been my second team since I first moved to Brum in 2001, so last night was special. What they have been able to achieve this season, despite a host of horrible injuries (Buendia and Mings both doing their ACL 10 days apart in August being a particular low point) is incredible.

Worth noting that the difference between Man City and Arsenal this season can be explained in part by Villa doing the double over Arsenal but 'only' beating City once (they were the last team to beat City over 90 minutes, last December).

• I was at the Spurs/City game last night as I have a mate who is an STH.

I have to say, Spurs’ “play it out from the back” style reaches whole new levels of frustration and risk, I just don’t understand the benefit in a defender taking a short goal kick back to the goalie, who then does a short pass out to, say, a full back, and then you get more interplay between the back four from there - if you’re lucky you may see a pass into midfield after a while.

All the pootling around in between the back four just seems like putting a lot of pressure on your own defence for very little reward.

• You often have a team pointlessly keeping possession near the back, they get pressed, the possession gets ropier then they have to give it to the keeper who just boots it aimlessly down the middle and they lose it anyway.

• Well yeah, you play out from the back with the aim of stretching the pitch and inviting a certain amount of pressure in order to create space for more controlled ball possession. Booting it long is the safe last resort if that doesn't work.

• Ideally, you have a 'keeper with the passing range to allow you to keep possession even if you go long.

• edited May 15

Was doing some research for work and stumbled upon my new favourite stadium. Gangwon FC in South Korea had to briefly groundshare at the 2018 Winter Olympics ski jumping centre.

• edited May 15

I hear MK are going to install a ski slope like this for an 'Experience Your Club's Trajectory' ride in 2025.

• Actual chairlift! We need to send a delegation pronto!

• Fun ski jumping fact: it's the national sport in Slovenia - so watch out for airborne tackles when they play England at the Euros.

• I see our biscuity neighbours have just been slapped with a £200k fine for breaching the rules in regard to contingent payments to agents.

The agent in question has been banned for 6 months & also happens to have Michael Olise onhis books.

It doesn't rain it pours eh

• Imagine how annoyed Martin O’Neill would be if someone ski-jumped down there and delayed the second half kick off.

• I've always wanted to try ski jumping, but I get the feeling I'd regret it halfway down, try to bail out and break many bones (in myself and innocent bystanders).

• Scoring at the far end wouldn't be the goal, it'd be smashing it over the top of that jump.

• At least you wouldn't need any ballboys at that end. It'd roll back onto the pitch itself.

• “All the pootling around in between the back four just seems like putting a lot of pressure on your own defence for very little reward.”

Well, you have the factor in the alternative for context. And the alternative is the keeper launches it randomly up field from the goal kick. Since it is launched high and long, it becomes a 50/50 chance, in terms of what team wins possession.

Passing it out the back is misunderstood. It’s fundamentally about maths, and improved chances of retaining the ball, and building play, as opposed to just whacking it long from a goal kick and hoping for the best.

If you have a 60% retainment playing out versus a 50% retainment rate going long, then it’s worth doing. And that’s why teams do it.

• Except, the chances of a team scoring against you after smashing it long immediately, versus if you lose it inside your own penalty area, I assume are significantly increased.

• I see the merit of playing out, but only if a team is good enough to execute it effectively.