Skip to content

Squad contract situation

Comments

• Wasn't he injured for much of that preseason so had missed alot of the physical work they do? Oh how dare he be a bit out of shape coming into a season carrying an injury.

• vokes legs haven’t gone he’s a good target man. we play in a different way most of the time so he plays less you can see that Jj’s legs have and you can see he’s made the right decision to call it a day.

• He has missed good chunks of both recent pre-seasons I believe, hopefully that doesn't happen this year. He needs to play regularly for match sharpness and cohesion but is often unavailable and doesn't seem able to really do 90 minutes or back to back games too often, it's potentially a difficult one to manage but the manager and medical team will be on it and have much more detailed information.

• It's not even the most stupid thing you've read on here today

• Whilst I have great hope for Kone he’s still clearly a newbie to this level. Vokes or a player like him will be invaluable as a foil and a mentor to both Kone and Bez and indeed any youngsters we may get on loan.

• I might run a quicker marathon than him but Vokes would snap me in half with his little finger - that man is strong! Definitely a fit man, we just don’t play to his strengths a lot of the time

• FWIW Richard Kone has been on a diet & gym exercise routine specifically to bulk up.

It's not always true that saying someone needs to go on a diet equals them being overweight, although many will see it that way.

• If you use phrases like ‘get him on a diet’, ‘been in better shape’, not in ideal shape for a professional footballer’ it’s hardly surprising that people conclude that you think he is overweight, especially when you double down and say he was ‘visibly’ out of shape at the start of last season.

• Getting away from the on-the-pitch analysis, Sam Vokes just seems like a top man off of it. The guy played in the PL for years and a Euro semi, but seems so personable and such a great presence to have around.

• I think a lot of our players automatically trigger an extra year depending on games played. So not many out of contract now.

• Yeah he really is a top guy. Great sense of humour too. I remember asking him after his first season which was his favourite goal of the year (that he’d scored) and his response was ‘when I scored with my arse at Crewe away’

• I have no inside knowledge of Chris’s situation but if a player doesn’t want to sign a contract/contract extension there’s nothing the club can do about it.

• Haha

Exactly, I've been saying that for the last 2 seasons.... get him in the box with balls coming in from the wings, he will score goals, but we don't seem to do that. Instead he has to try to flick onto others

• I'd be glad to see Vokes stay. There are times when we'll want a target man to play off and he does a great job in that role.

He isn't as sharp as he used to be in the box, but still offers qualities we'll struggle to find elsewhere.

• So we should be looking to keep our best players?

Have you phoned the club to let them know?

• I've said from the start that it looks like MB is creating a squad with "options". Players that can do different jobs and players that can play more that one position.

Leahy, Taylor, Grimmer, Lonwijk, Bez. If the deal is financially sustainable for Vokes to stay at the club, then I'd have him as an option.

Otherwise, somebody please name me ONE striker we could get that does the same, or better....

• I reckon I could score 5 in a season.

• In one of the clubs' instagram videos from the Charlton game, Leahy was messing around with Dale Taylor suggesting that "he is coming back". Probably just for a laugh but it wouldn't even be said if it hadn't been spoken about.

Meanwhile, how have we allowed Forino to possibly go for nothing? Such terrible business.

• I repeat what I wrote above, I have no inside knowledge of Chris’s situation but if a player doesn’t want to sign a contract/contract extension there’s nothing the club can do about it.

• I suspect Chris Forino is simply doing what anyone who is out of contract with their employer would do, he is obviously waiting to see what offers are presented to him.

It may just be that our club have offered Chris an improved deal with an escape clause should a bigger club of his liking come in for him in January.

Who knows, we are all just speculating right now and the season only ended yesterday.

• PSG losing Mbappe for free is terrible business. Wycombe losing Forino for free is just one of those things.

• Looking at the Cheltenham goalkeepers injury yesterday (and not forgetting Brandon Hanlan’s one earlier this season) you really can’t blame any footballer for taking up any offer that gives them more security.

• We will have to wait and see, the club are normally secretive about things but I get the impression we’ve offered him a deal and he is waiting for something better to come along.

He hasn’t perhaps played as much as he’d like when fit. I think he’s off to pastures new and it’s got nothing to do with the club not wanting him to stay.

• You can’t blame Forino for wanting to rest the waters as a free agent. You can’t blame the Couhigs either.

• Cracks me up how suspicious some Wycombe fans are.

I passed your sponsors' dinner contract status comment onto a game going pal and his first comment was "if true?".

• It's unlikely Forino will walk into a team pushing towards the top of the Championship, but he may well get offers from lower Champ clubs (ie those just promoted) or other League 1 clubs. His decision to stay or not might well reflect his feeling about our chances next year, a move for slightly more money now isn't necessarily the best decision.

• Would love to know how those posting ‘terrible business’ would’ve secured Chris on a long-term contract.

Let us know how you’d have done it?