Skip to content

Culture Corner

123457»

Comments

• Just in case anyone hasn’t seen the HBO documentary series The Jinx…

1. Do not google it
    2. do not ask anyone about it
    3. go watch it right now

And for anyone who has seen it, a follow-up series started airing yesterday. That’s the rest of my evening sorted.

• 👆correct on all counts

• This is already brilliant.

• I’ve enjoyed Ripley on Netflix, beautiful settings and cinematography.

• The cinematography in Ripley is some of the best I’ve ever seen. Mind blowingly good.

• Surprisingly funny in parts too

• About half way through Station 11. Thank you Gasroom.

• Currently thoroughly enjoying season 2 of BBC’s Blue Lights - season 1 was excellent television and so far, season 2 is living up to it. 4 episodes out of 6 watched

• I've read the wasp factory by Iain banks (as well as the rest of his books under this name) and thought it basically weird, so sorry @JohnnyAllAlone I can't agree. HOWEVER the author also wrote as Iain M. Banks and his series of Culture novels (very apt for this thread) I found to be totally absorbing and worth a go if you like a good space opera with challenging themes.

• I watched Baby Reindeer on Netflix in one sitting.

I still have no idea whether I liked it or not but it's certainly not an easy thing to watch.

• You enjoying The Jinx Part Two @eric_plant?

• I think I want to re-watch the original series first

I haven't yet got round to doing that. Snooker's on innit?

• Oooh, snooker. Hadn't even realised.

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed I, too, have read all Iain Banks books (including Raw Spirit his teavelogue around the Whisky distilleries of Scotlan) but could not get into his sci-fi stuff.

The Wasp Factory is weird and the first time I read it I couldn't get past the first chapter for ages. Persevered and loved the weirdness and imagination of it all, but then I loved Eraserhead too.

• Eraserhead is a masterpiece.

• My cousin went to see Eraserhead at the cinema whilst on acid. Surprised he didn't end up in an asylum. Mind you, his idea of easy listening is Throbbing Gristle.

• Went to an all nighter at the Scala Cinema at Kings Cross to see Throbbing Gristle, Monte Cazazza, Leather Nun and some guy playing sheets of metal interspersed with Derek Jarman films.

They don’t do events like that anymore (probably).

(And Eraserhead is a truly great film - respect though for seeing it on acid)

• Did a 'video nasties' all-nighter at the Scala many years ago. I'm not much of a one for an 'immersive experience' but there's something about watching a horror movie where people in the audience are screaming that adds to the tension.

• I'll leave this here. If anyone listens to the whole hour of Gristle at the Nag's Head, I will be very impressed!

http://www.wycombegigs.co.uk/11-february-1977-throbbing-gristle-nags-head/

• Fun fact: Genesis P-Orridge - along with Richard Norris - put out the UK's first acid house record, a fake compilation album with all tracks recorded by them under pseudonyms.