Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Port Vale

Comments

• edited April 16

It's not. An assist has to be a completed pass.

• It came off the keeper to him from a point blank Vokes header.

• Vokes' header was saved, and Wheels tucked in the rebound.

• Spot on @HolmerBlue I’m just back from the game and can’t believe some of the what I’m reading on here about Vokes. Some great hold up play and lay offs against a very physical team

• Another good win and enjoyable day out with the kids.

Not read all the messages but I think the port vale fans must of set some kind of record today, no17 picked the ball up after about 15 seconds and turned and passed it back to a loud chorus of boos.

Just seen a couple of comments about Vokes, I thought he was better tonight. Forino was immense too.

Onto Carlisle Saturday.

• After the Northampton game four weeks ago we were 12th. Closer to the playoffs in terms of position and points on the board. We had 50 points and the drop zone was 35 points and playoffs on 63 points.

• Last night's result means we move up to 5th in the Last 10 form table:

League One Form Table (thefishy.co.uk)

• I assumed that was a tongue in cheek comment given that before the Potts injury and that subsequent awful run we were well in the play-off mix.

After the Peterborough away game in late October we were 2 points off the play-offs (with 2 games in hand) and 12 clear of the relegation places.

• Uche will always remain an enigma for me. A cult hero. A Kevin Francis figure. He is disruptive. He gives challenges for defenders and in the right situation he clearly is a threat. But at times (even Phil mentioned this) his control is laughable, his goal threat was pretty non-existent and if signing him pushed Kone down the pecking order it would be madness as THAT guy knows goals. And we need goals, not endeavour.

• Nigel is certainly in the “do not fall in love with a loan player” territory. Is it delusional to think we have at least a slim chance?

• What an entertaining watch that was last night. We certainly didn't have it all our way and for 30-40 minutes either side of HT we were under the cosh. Good substitutions enabled us to get back into the game and loved the way we pushed on in search of the winner, which duly arrived courtesy of a sublime lay off from Kone.

It's been quite the turnaround since 3:45pm on 27 January (home to Fleetwood). If we had been told then that we would finish mid -table and enjoy a great day out at Wembley, I don't think many of us would have believed it. All credit to Blooms and his team. There's every reason to feel positive about the way we are finishing this season and look forward to next. COYB.

• I thought Uche was a real handful. I’m not sure it’s the right time for a return to AP, but I really enjoyed watching him last night and our centre backs had to work exceptionally hard to contain him.

He does have the odd worldie in his locker too.

• Our number is growing daily, @frequentstander. @eric_plant, @drcongo, @micra, @arnos_grove, @Mandown and others, have been patiently sat in the bandwagon waiting for it to roll for a while now. He's already a cult hero. Do we have the numbers to petition Blooms and the Couhigs?? 😁😁

• That was absolutely the turning point, which you have pinpointed there.

It's difficult to explain to people quite how bad that first half was. I wonder what was said in the dressing room at half time? I wonder if those players thought they had 45 minutes to save Matt Bloomfield's job?

I think you can judge a side's character by how they respond to adversity. This lot, and the manager, have remained together through it all and it's to be admired.

One of the most impressive things I have ever seen in football was how Wycombe came back from losing 7 straight games at the start of their Championship season when the world and his wife were saying we were out of our depth. They stayed together, gradually turned it around and came very close to surviving. So many other teams would have completely collapsed.

I sense that resolute character in this current crop, which is testament to those players that are still here from that time, but I especially sense it in the manager. Following Gaz was an almost impossible task, but Matt Bloomfield is giving it a right good go.

• Totally. Every word. It's easy to forget how poor things were for the majority of December and January. Most people on here (wisely) didn't bother with the Morecambe FA Cup game at home. I did and that was the nadir for me. Horrible. Too many players didn't appear to care and one in particular (he played last night) IMO should never have been seen in a Wycombe shirt again (and as a rule I try to avoid hyperbole).

So to go from that, to where we are now, with the same manager is tremendous. Rob Couhig does deserve credit for sticking with MB, and we're all seeing the benefits. Bring on the last three games...

• I never lost faith in Blooms and the players he had at his disposal, but the turning points for me were the switch to a back four and the recruitment in January, that’s what triggered the upturn in form.

• Uche was a real threat and is a great person but as for re-signing him, I do not think he would give value for money due to his ongoing injury record.

Lovely, lovely guy but I think we should stay clear and move on.

• Uche was all arms & legs, piss poor close control & border line of committing a foul every time he got near one of our defenders (especially Grimmer), in my view he isn't good enough for us to want to sign him

• Honoured to be mentioned in the context of having only wobbled briefly (halftime on 27 January) in my conviction that MB would turn things round but I don’t recall having said anything on here about Nigel Lonwjk in the context of the need, ideally, to try to keep him at Adams Park. I think that is very unlikely but what would I know.

Of the current loan players, the only two that I both admire and think we have a realistic chance of keeping are Dale Taylor and Gideon Kodua. Taylor is only just 20 and has put in some impressive performances in the 10 role although, to be fair, yesterday’s contribution was disappointing. Had he put away that early chance, it might have been a different story.

• Totally agree. We didn’t have the players to play three at the back. Not matter what three played , we couldn’t adapt. The recruitment in January was excellent apart from Campbell , who again unfortunately hasn’t stepped up to the mark. It will be interesting over the next few weeks to see who is offered contracts. Some really important and difficult decisions for Blooms to make.

• I think it is very important if we are to have a serious go at the top 6 next season that we hold onto Forino, Low and Taf.

If we can get Lonwijk then that would be superb. Add the elusive 20 goal a season man up front and we would be in with a very good chance of competing with the best.

• I would like to think that the majority of level headed fans had hope, the faith had ebbed away - but that is your role on the Gasroom @glasshalffull, unlimited faith.

The owners backing Matt in January with 6 significant signings was huge. Three out for 6 turned out to be critical for me. Plus Kone of course. Also grasping the nettle on the loanees and accepting they didn't work. And I think that decision was painfully 100% correct as none of them have gone on to sparkle elsewhere.

A huge summer of rebuilding ahead. But there is a spine in there now.

• Wish I could spell Nigel’s surname consistently!

I wouldn’t put 20 goals beyond Richard Kone at the rate he is developing.

• Will you be publishing an end of season stat pack?

• How about a May/Kone combination.

• Be honest, at half time v Fleetwood were you not thinking that if they came out and played the same way second half that it was going to be very difficult for Blooms to continue?

• Two points per game. Automatic form.

Good to see Stevenage in free fall.

• You didn't ask me, but for me no - just needed to get behind him.

• We need to focus on his middle name. Not many people called Cello.

• I think Kone could get 20 goals next season provided that we can sign a target man in the Vokes mould along side him that is young, mobile and has physical presence. Much easier said than done.

I would have loved to have seen Bayo alongside Kone.