Skip to content

Squad for next season

Comments

• For next season obviously depends on which players stay and which leave.

We will need to decide on a first choice GK (whether one of the two existing or new) and I suspect a starting left back. RB and CB looks strong, as does CM. In the more attacking roles I believe we have Lubala and Kone signed for next year but this does feel like the area that needs working on most.

Much though depends on whether the promised new investor (presumably Lomtadze) does materialise and if so what his ambitions are. For me a decent mid table Lg1 side wouldn't be the end of the world.

• You missed off Breckin & maybe Philips into the list of those that didn't work out

• So my list of the players in the squad and whether or not we should offer a new deal or not. Some might surprise but sometimes things need to be done in order to move forwards

• Surely the "should be offered a deal" and the "only if the price is right" columns should be merged. I thought Lubala was already contracted.

• edited April 9

@DevC The "should be offered a deal" is the ones where we should sign no matter what and we should be actively trying to sign now. Whereas the "Only if the price is Right" column is for players where we start negotiation after securing other members in the squad first and then move onto these guys. They will have a hard limit and if they want more than that, we walk away.

• I agree with all that other than Ward. I believe he has suffered with a few injuries and in view of his potential deserves a new contract.

• Not sure any player qualifies for being signed "no matter what" tbh. Has KVY done enough to get another deal especially if not playing wing backs now? As for the young players, don't know if say Shala is considered good enough to be back up GK next year or indeed kep on for future promise.

Much no doubt will depend on budget and that will in turn depend on whether Lomtadze invests and if so how much he wants to spend.

• Yes we have to move on and I trust in Matt to do just that. Looking at your list I would certainly want us to try and get Nigel Longwijk back for next season and I know a lot of people might disagree but I also like Dale Taylor in is current role.

For me Sadlier, Forino, Scowen, Butcher, Low, Kone, Grimmer, Leahy and Lubala are must keeps.

If we can sort those 11 players for next season and maybe retain a few others / plus add new blood in other key positions, then we have a good base from which to build a very competitive squad indeed.

• That's why you need to prioritise those that we can build a squad around. KVY is a must because he can do a job on both sides of defence and currently we don't have a left back. He can be a good leveller where we are looking for better and he's used in squad rotation.

• edited April 9

I agree that Lonwijk should be a keeper however I'm not sure if Wolves will want us to and it's a decision outside of our control. I think he'll slot straight into some of the championship sides and do a good job for them. The same with Potts, he's getting to a point in his development where he needs to experience higher quality players & games to keep up that progression

• I would happily offer McCarthy a deal if the price was right and any injury he has isn't semi-permanent. I know he hasn't played that much but I think he is a good, decent, top-half league 1 defender when fit.

• I completely get your point and for a large period of time last season, he was our capt (when JJ wasn't playing). However, I think Rob might be a bit more cut-throat as he's learnt from Gape & Thompson where they played a small amount of games over 2 or 3 seasons and (prob) took home a fair wage for the size of our club

• young Jack Young he will be here lurking in the shadows for a while yet

• Ah good shout! Though considering Phillips won 5 MOTM awards, I would have him in 'Good'.

• I'd swap the 22/23 Player's Player of the Season and Ravs in that list.

• edited April 10

Voakes 5 mins, JMac 0 mins, Campbell 0 mins, Max benched again tonight despite little or no action on Sunday. Suggests Blooms has made his mind up about next season?

• Of the loanees, here is who I think we should want, together with if they might be available.

Potts: No point even thinking about it. If he is loaned again it will be Champo.

Lonwijk: We should want, but I don't think he will be available.

Taylor: I would say yes, and there is a chance.

Kodua: Another yes, and I think there is an even better chance, given he is behind others in his development and we did so well with Potts. I would put him as the most likely.

Campbell: I don't think we should be interested, but I do wish the lad well after two spells with us.

• edited April 10

I think Vokes is off and McCleary probably retires this summer. Great shame if that's the case, both been great servants for us.

Surely the Campbell experiment is over and McCarthy leaves for first team football in the summer.

Players I expect to see next season:

Ravazolli (backup to Matt Ingram in on a season loan)

Grimmer, Pattenden, Taf, Low, KVY, Nigel, Leahy, Butcher, Scowen, Wheeler, Kone, Lubala, Sadlier, Hanlan (plus Young, Ward and some other youngsters)

Leaving - Vokes, McCarthy, GMac (+Taylor, Kodua, Potts, Chem end of loans) + JJ retiring

Priorities for next season - sorting a new no.1 GK, LB, attacking mid, winger and x2 ST.

• One more year for Vokes and GMac.

Just got a feeling

• I’d be very, very surprised to see Vokes stay.

McCleary could stay for one more year - imagine ball in his court.

Fear Wheeler will be off.

• I think McCarthy will do everything he can to stay, but we'll see.

• We don’t know if KVY is in contract next season or not, but COTN’s suggestion is that he isn’t.

He is a good player - if that was the only consideration then I’d be fine to give him another shot.

But that injury record seems pretty risky to me.

He didn’t play many games for Ipswich either - that may well just be because he was only ever back-up there, rather than through injury.

I guess our medical team will be the ones best placed to advise, maybe we could manage him carefully like we did with Darius Charles, but KVY’s game is more based on pace.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=80172

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/onthenet/players.htm

• I think KVY is a better fit for a back five, which we want to stay away from. However, I actually think we could just convert him to a wide forward, as his pace and trickery would give us another option there.

• Agree with this need list.

We need a real infusion of attacking quality.

• From what I gather from Ipswich fans, KVY had a pretty injury hit time there too - fans loved him but every time he looked like staking a place he'd get injured.

• I'd really like to see if Kodua can stay around for next season too. I think he has a lot to offer, we know he can score goals and I think he just needs an opportunity to push on and have a chance in the starting 11

• Yesterday showed that we probably need to figure out what we're doing in attack. I can't imagine in september we'd have imagined to line up with a kid from non-league leading the line, and it's a testament to good scouting, and Kone's great work, that we've ended up like this.

McCleary is aging, I'm a fan but it's clear that Blooms doesn't see Vokes as a starting striker anymore, Sadlier puts a lot of effort in but lacks that final touch of quality, and I'm still not sold on Lubala. Last night was pretty fluid to the point of the final ball, but so often we'd overplay, looking like we'd much rather pass it back to Potts to try from distance, rather than whip it across the box.

• While it's not quite that season where we finished pumping high long balls to Hayes and Thompson and it was clear we needed a big rethink, it's not far off.

• At least Harriman got top scorer that year.