Skip to content

EFL TROPHY FINAL

Comments

• Reminds me of the time I bought a 'Boca Juniors' scarf from a bloke outside the stadium only to discover the real fans had 'BOCA' and 'CABJ' scarves.

If the protest was still going on we could have had the world's first 'third and third' scarf with Reading added.

• Isn't there a picture of a flag at one of our Wembley non-league finals that says Wycombe Wanders or Wandererers.

• When 'Close Quarters' came out, the little note next to it in Waterstones referred to it "telling the story of Wycombe Wanders 2019/20 season" - which I pointed out, only for them to put the same sign back.

• The merch is half hearted and pricy. The Spanish YouTube shirt is fantastic though. A lesson there, although I don’t know what.

• We have the added advantage of not having a game at the weekend which will help the players like Mendez-Laing and others who have been carrying knocks of late and also the 10+ we have injured to heal somewhat. Extra time at Wembley would also be helpful.

• All this falls into insignificance on a Wycombe players parade when some Mayor tried to get in on the PR announcing how he was a fan of "Dennis" Taylor.

• You're starting to sound like Discogs with "unofficial" as a synonym for illegal, counterfeit and fake :)

Those "vans" keep all the profit. They buy the goods, rent a spot for their van, everything over and above those costs is profit and I doubt more than half of it gets disclosed for income tax

• It's a shame we don't have some of the more idiosyncratic merch we used to sell. I've still got my Wycombe kitchen apron, though my oven gloves passed away a few years back.

• Historically the colours would have been Amber & Black

• Just like to pop my head round the door and wish you good luck and success for Sunday. Remember to enjoy your day out, whatever the outcome. Trips to Wembley are few and far between for clubs like ours, so make the most if it.

• When i packed up my room to go to uni in 2003 i still had the flag that i bought at Wembley in 1994 pinned to the wall. The Runcorn flag had only disintegrated a few years before. This is a missed opportunity.

• You also have the disadvantage of having neanderthal knuckle-draggers as supporters, such as this poster on the DCFC forum. He can be thanked for writing Matt Bloomfield's pre-match team talk right here:

Adams Park Stadium

Wednesday, April 10th – Kick-Off: 19.45

Still a full week to go before another match to savour, this time against a club who can sensibly lay claim to having the greatest car park in all of football. So, what is there to say about L1’s perennial not-so-nearly men? Well, they have a fantastic chairman don’t they! Who else would be magnanimous enough to name their ground after our legendary midfield destroyer, Ebou? More to the point, how did he even know Ebou was coming to Derby? Clever chap, I suppose, which is probably why he now owns more ambulances than the NHS. As for Wycombe the town, well some brief research shows that Wycombe is notable only for being surrounded by places that are not dumps. Also, for weighing its mayors to see whether they have been getting rich on the public pound. Oh, The Cornetto Trilogy too, for any Hot Fuzz fans out there.

Moving onto Wycombe FC, well what can I say?

No, really, what can I say?

Oh, alright then! Their Wiki bio states that Wycombe Wanderers Football Club is an English professional association football club based in the town of High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. Founded in 1887, they entered the Southern League in 1896. Despite being around forever though, they’ve won the square root of feck all and in 137 years, have only managed to accrue around 7,000 supporters. I’m no maths whizz, but by utilising my trusty abacus, I’ve calculated that at their current rate of growth, they will hit Derby levels of support in only 508.86 years. Something to look forward to, then.

Key Threats

Well they are two-fold and to be taken seriously; firstly, there’s the threat of legal action and secondly, there’s a very real possibility that they’ll attempt to hoof half our team into the stands. Fortunately for us, we’ve already paid them out, so they’re now feasting on the bones of other clubs in financial strife. Also, their stands are tiny and their team is rubbish, so if any Wycombe player does attempt to half-volley Liam Thomson into the North Stand, he’ll probably miss it altogether.

On the pitch, after a seriously deep dive, the only threats I’ve come up with are Luke Leahy who has amassed 8 goals and 6 assists this season from @40 starts, Dale Taylor with 5 and Joseph Low with 4. I was going to visit their forum to try to discern some interesting insider titbits for you lot; team strategy, injuries, pie quality and the like, but I immediately realised I’d rather eat my own vomit, so I didn’t bother. Feel free to have a gander yourselves though.

The Team

I think we’ll likely see the same starting 11, or very close to it. Fortunately, we now have the aforementioned Ebou Adams, so when they kick us, he’ll kick them back. Several times each, probably. That said, I think if we play our own game and don’t get sucked into Wycombe’s peculiar brand of anti-football, we may well win and win well.

And sadly, that’s all folks, as the pub beckons and in truth, I’d not really counted on us getting past both Blackpool and Pompey and have nothing else prepared. A final note though, for away supporters looking for things to do before and after the game, might I recommend a trip to Henley, Marlow or Windsor instead?

• Is that what counts for comedy in Derby? Wouldn't want to read that every week.

• It's playing to the gallery to a certain extent. Even if I wasn't from another part of the East Midlands, I would be wishing them another season in the third tier having to visit dumps like Adams Park for that article alone.

(Sorry @Raminpeace )

• Thank you @theRoyalBiscuit & @Raminpeace. While a lot of fans mistake rudeness / abuse for "banter" you guys (or girls) have conducted yourselves in a well balanced and reasonable manner which makes conversations and discussions with you quite positive.

I might speak for myself but your comments and posts are welcomed here 👍️

• There are many contenders for 'biggest shithole in the UK' but Derby is certainly a strong favourite to win it.

• Wycombe is only a medium-sized shithole

• Not certain, but I think that one is still up in the Chairboys Village Beer Tent.

• We are actually pretty fortunate in the type of opposition fan who comes on here, including the recent Portsmouth fans and our Bolton friends who pop on periodically.

• edited April 3

Does anyone else wonder what Boca Juniors' youth team is called?

• I have relatives (well, relatives of er indoors tbh) who are from and still live in Derby. Happy to confirm that they seem to have zero sense of humour.

• I Googled 'younger young boys' and the police kicked my front door in....

• I endorse what others have written about your sensible, fair minded and generous posts on here. Re your final sentence, most outsiders probably don’t realise that this will be our fourth appearance at Wembley in the last nine years, not bad for a club of our size.

• And we have appeared in the FA cup semi-finals and League Cup semi finals, so not bad for little Wycombe.

• We need something similar to Joy Division Oven Gloves