Skip to content

Lack of children at Adams Park

Comments

• What's the point? Everyone involved has respected Wade's familys wishes and he hasn't done too badly out of the decision either being a pro egg-chaser, an England international, playing for Lions & travelled to the US to explore an American sport.

I don't think he would have seen the school's actions in the same way the club did & was prob aware that he wouldn't get the same opportunity playing football

• Tattersall was a fraud. If you were good at Rugby he was all over you / best pals. If you hated the egg shaped crap then he was brutal.

Turning up in November without your swimming trunks for the outdoor pool? No problem for Tatters - you were the first one to jump in through the ice in your underpants while he stood there laughing.

Does that not constitute abuse ? Or am I too soft/woke?

• edited March 29

Born when the team were in their 50th year

• i don't know whose picture that is but it isn't me. I know several people as old and even older than I am so don't understand the apparent feeling of surprise. It may be your turn one day.

• It's a picture from the American comedy Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! and is used on the internet to mean 'mind blown'

• edited March 30

Been ruminating on how great The Gasroom is. How many other ‘communities’ have contributions from folk at least 50 years different in age as well as being able to accommodate others with clearly diverse world views?

Well done us. Happy Easter and peace to all. COYB’s

• I can't resist contributing to the rgs comments. My father won a scholarship in the 1920s and his parents paid £5, but I did not know it was every year and not a one-off. I also remember chatting to Ian Clarke as he worked to football with Roger File. I was at rgs when Carke started there and he was still there and taught him when my son went there some 40 years later. Also there during all that time was a Neil Cooper who was in charge of the CCF.

I remember Tucker as Head and Sam Morgan as his deputy, with Sam playing the bad cop to Tucker's good cop. Sam had a vein in his right temple that throbbed when he was building up into a rage, possibly a manufactured rage!

• Now Mr Cooper was an utterly class act. Probably my favourite teacher of all time even though it was Latin that I remember about 5 words from. Passed away a couple of years back.

• edited March 30

I dated Ma & Pa Cooper's eldest daughter Anne briefly - seems like a lifetime ago (I suppose it is really!). They were a lovely family, and never made me feel awkward despite having both taught me - Latin & Physics.

Sadly their son, John (?), was tragically killed when he was knocked off his bicycle in Little Marlow not long after Anne and I stopped dating.

• Slightly off topic re the RGS, did anyone attend "Chesham Technical High School" as it was when I first joined? It has since morphed into Chesham Grammar School. I was there circa 1969-1974, Geoff (I'll give ooo such a clip boy) Anthony was my PE teacher at that time whom I had a lot of time for. Girls PE teacher was a Miss Renshaw to the best of my memory. I am led to believe that Mr Anthony and Miss Renshaw "hooked up" at one stage, don't know if anything came of it. 🤷‍♂️

• I was at Wellesbourne, and one of my PE teachers was Ex Wycombe player Dave Alexander and the other one was a Mr Findlay (can't remember his first name) like most PE teachers, were fine if you were decent at sport, but not too bothered about you if you wasnt. Luckily for me, I made the Football 2nd team, and was in the cricket and Athletics team

I do remember in our earlier years they would stand either end of the shower cubicle, one to make sure you went in, the the other to make sure you'd had a shower on way out, and if they thought you hadn't bothered you'd get a whip of a damp towel !

• Quite shocking how normalised child abuse was, in plain sight too.

• I say normalised - corporal punishment in schools was literally legal. What a fucked up society.

• Don’t get me started on Challoner's in the 80s. Although that was illegal then to be fair.

• I had an English teacher at RGS in the late 00s, Mr Cornish, who used to talk about how much he missed being able to use his cane. Bit weird.

• I started at Gunnersbury Grammar (Acton) in 1959. To get there, I had to catch a bus from Harrow to Rayners Lane, then a Piccadilly Line train to Acton Town, then a half mile walk to the school.

If you misbehaved, you were given 100 lines to write out, or a one hour detention for more serious misdemeanours. Really serious misbehaviour resulted in six of the best in the headmaster's study with a leather strap.

As one of the leading lights of the school rugby team, I mostly escaped all that, and went on to have a trial for Middlesex Schools (successful), and then England U18 (unsuccessful).

Today's mollycoddled kids, driven to school in a heated Range Rover, don't know they're born.

• 4.3 million children are growing up in poverty in the UK.

• Personally, I think it's a good thing that kids today can go to school without fear of being whipped or caned.

• Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the teachers.

According to the NASUWT NASUWT | Teachers should not have to tolerate violent pupils, 13% of teachers were assaulted by pupils, and 58% suffered verbal abuse.

With no effective sanctions, none of this is surprising.

• Clearly grown adults smashing kids with sticks was a tad too far but we've probably gone a little too far the other way now.

• two experts there, having their say

• My sister in law has just given up teaching after so many years. She used to love it. Now, she says a lot of the kids have just become unbearable, they are rude and abusive, and they know they can get away with it. If the teachers try to get involved and sort things out, the kids and parents just claim mental stress.

She's had enough.

• It does seem to be getting worse, so I think you have to ask questions of the parents. A worrying number of kids are beginning school unable to read, too - a combination of parents not devoting time to it because they're too glued to social media (or let their kids have devices way too young) and a lack of access to reading material in the first place, it seems.

• Sadly, all of that seems to be true, @flymofrank. Anecdotally at least.

• Perhaps the kids are getting worse because the adults are showing them the way?

Civility is a dying thing in this miserable nation.

I mean, standards of behaviour have slipped so far that grown men have hissy fits and threaten legal action on football forums these days.

• @HolmerBlue were you at Wellesbourne when Mr Findlay was on a year long sabbatical and was replaced by creepy northern sex pest, Mr Hand? He liked an inspection post shower.

Mr Hale (art teacher) let slip that Dave Alexander was playing for Oxford City v Wycombe at Loakes Park one evening (possibly a reserve game of some sort). Anyway, a load of us went down for the opportunity to take the piss out of him in an environment where he couldn’t take action. He wasn’t happy, but took it pretty well - decent fella.

Mr Hale once called me a useless c*$% in a competitive fury at the end of a game of football when I failed to set him up for a tap in, choosing a glory shot that went many yards over and wide. He spent the rest of my time at Wellesbourne apologising for it!

• This kind of nonsense is exactly why I’d rather my kids went to John Hampden even though I’m much closer to RGS

• edited April 1

Bucks (& those that still have the 11+) are very sheltered compared to those that have removed it. Grammar schools in Bucks hold themselves higher above other schools and almost on par with Private schools because, as they have taken the top 20% of academic students, they get all the higher results. When official league tables were a thing (and they still are unofficially), you notice that all of them can be found near the top.

However, for the rest of the students & parents, after not scoring high enough on the 11+, they feel like they are more of an after thought. The schools have less funding, facilities & sometimes less opportunities that aren't there for the students which in turn drives the poor behaviour. It takes a lot for the worst students to be removed from these schools. Whereas in Grammar schools, these so called 'bad' students are moved on very quickly & with very little opposition

• Grammar schools can't be abolished soon enough. A crude signifier of this country's obsession with class.

• Hmm, can't remember that, think he was there all the time I was. Tbf, both him and Dave Alexander were decent blokes. Played cricket a few times against Findlay after I left school, he played for Frieth for a while, was always friendly.