Skip to content

Reading offer Bearwood training ground to Wycombe

Comments

• Easy tiger. It could be one of the most significant developments in our club’s history, is being reported in the national press yet you don’t feel discussion and speculation are warranted?

• So worried about what is going on here and where this ends for Reading and us.

• As far as I know The Trust has not solicited it's member's for their opinion to the deal. Simply cos no one outside of the 2 negotiating partners know anything. So for them to come up with a statement condemning the deal would unwelcome, unhelpful, ill-informed, etc

• On every single Reading fan who just love their club and wish money hadn't ruined everything.

• Keep off X then. The Reading fans have access to all the facts, figures, intentions, contracts etc. I assume they are carrying out negotiations in a packed out Hexagon right now.

A counter point COULD be that if we don't buy it there is no Reading in April.

• As long as the merged club is not called Reading Chair...

• edited March 14

Yes, and it's still doing the job it was primarily set up to do. Namely preserving the ownership of Adam's Park, fundamental at it's instigation, to ensure there was always a football ground in High Wycombe where a club could play football.

The sustainable position of the Football Club under trust ownership and, therefore, without outside investment was lower league 2 or below.

As members of the trust WE sold out our controlling interest in the football club when WE agreed the sale to Feliciana and then the subsequent further reduction in 10% equity.

Making some dig at the Trust, as if they should be preventing the football club from making an offer for an asset put up for sale by another football club is quite frankly disrespectful.

• Putting a side the obvious in regards to Reading FC - if you were bringing a new investor on board - and let’s me honest we all know where the money is coming from - as statements of intent go this is a pretty massive one.

• This is my thought process as well. I suspect Lomtadze will have wanted to invest in Wycombe because he saw a distressed asset he could get on the cheap and use as a status symbol. Much like Rob Couhig did in 2019.

Now there's a much bigger asset in even more distress available. Why wouldn't Lomtadze's head be turned? It's not like he's got any emotional attachment to Wycombe. Or even any official link to the club.

The real danger is that Rob Couhig finds himself dragged into Lomtadze's plans without even knowing what's going on. Cue reputational damage for Wycombe and a rather large headache for our chairman when our Georgian knight in shining armour canters away, asking for repayment of loans that Couhig cannot cash.

• Discussion and speculation are fine. More eyebrow raising is the multiple posters asserting that Lomtadze is a director of Wycombe Wanderers, one claim that he is a she, another that Pete isn’t even an employee anymore, claims that we own the Marlow Road training ground, and so on. For people so concerned about how we look to Reading fans, might be best to just not make stuff up and post it as facts on the internet. It’s going to be a lot harder for them to spot the bullshit.

• I'm not even sure, without knowing any of the facts, that we should be calling WWFC the bad guy in assessing the purchase of the training ground from Reading.

Let's not forget it's Dai Yongge who has put the asset up for sale. We didn't force him to, and if we don't proceed with the purchase what then for Reading football Club?

• Can't believe we're this far into the thread and no one's mentioned renaming it 'Chairwood,' yet.

• Never a dull moment when you support the mighty Wycombe.

• Genuine question. Will the Trust as 10% stakeholders (theoretically at least) be asked to stump up 10% of whatever the purchase price is?

• I don't know if we ARE the bad guys, but it will appear so.

We, allegedly, need a new training ground, someone is selling a very good one nearby. The reasons for it are easy enough there.

Yet, it will be presented as we've put the final nail in the coffin.

• POTD on the Reading forum:

There are many worse football clubs out there than Wycombe, they are a decent well run club and the owners have taken an opportunity to invest in their future. Nobody can blame them.

Wouldn't be against amalgamating with them to be honest.

• Depends whether the purchaser wants to give the Trust a 10% stake in the training ground. More likely they just purchase it through a separate entity, ML Holdings let's say, who owns the facility outright.

It's one reason why I think we shouldn't rush to judge this yet, as I doubt very much either WWFC or the Trust will actually have any ownership stake.

• If we have/had £25 million all this time...that would bother me seeing as we could not hold on to Lewis Wing and he went to a club that potentially could not pay him.

This is certainly crazy and if true, I cannot see how AP competes with an operation of the size of Reading for someone with that sort of money to spray about.

If Rob was in front of Lomtadze in the Dragons Den, he would be sweating profusely at this point.

• In my eyes, surely we've simply made a logical decision? It's not every day you get offered a Premier League standard training facility for a cut price, after struggling to upgrade / build a new facility for years. And if we didn't buy it, it would get sold to someone else anyway?

We also haven't prevented the sale of Reading to a new owner. It may even help them to sell because the club will now surely be much cheaper for any prospective purchaser?

I can't really understand why we're being painted as the moral baddies here

• Your posts are always a seething mix of fury and negativity.

Imagine if someone said they'd celebrate your death how you'd react!

• Yeh to me this is all something to do with Lomtadze, getting the ground through WWFC, some kind of charge somewhere being put across the training ground etc. Our loans to him then being written off. Reading owner gets his money back to withdraw to himself, then Lomtadze in a position to buy Reading separately taking the charge back over the training ground and Wycombe being relieved of debt to him. Well something like that in my head anyway.

• Sounds a horrible tangle to be involved in for us doesn't it.

• I will refer you to my posts from Tuesday night where I exclaim how impressed I was with some of our defending, especially in the first half.

I wouldn’t give a flying f* if some random teenager on social media claimed they would celebrate my death.

When all is said and done I just want Wycombe to come out of this without embarrassing ourselves. There’s a long way to go in this saga.

• He could ignore it, but I quite like it when people in power or influence give some back to scumbags.

• I believe the arguement being made is that the separate sale of the training ground has already caused one potential purchaser of Reading FC from pulling out, they apparently thought that the training ground would be part of the deal, and it also reduces the value of Reading FC to any potential new purchaser.

However, as I understand it, Reading FC are in a big hole over financing and need cash quickly or they run the risk of a probable additional points deduction which might well see them relegated to league 2. That, of course, would affect their value also.

• Yes, but we owe him money and an opportunity could be there to correct it. Worst case I guess we get it then can sell to a future Reading owner? Who knows! But yes, seems like a right old tangle.

• I think one thing we can be pretty sure of, Rob didn't suddenly find £25m down the back of the sofa.