Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Wigan

Comments

• Actually I'd like to think there were a lot of angry people in the changing room after the game pointing the finger at each other saying "Pull your effing finger out and do your job". I fear though that it might be all a bit too polite with Matt in change.

• Ours is bad but the Shrewsbury one is even grimmer.

Last 30 mins: scored 4 - 22 against

Makes our 12 - 21 look positively balanced

• I try not to be over optimistic but I saw enough from the the two north London pals to think that they both deserve rather longer on the pitch than they got tonight.

• East London for cockneys traditionally, North London for oligarchs and bbc executives .

• Even worse for poor JJ.

Retirement tour and he's been injured, bit part player and watching a midfielder playing in his position.

• Im praying he's gone today dont understand how anyone can back this rubbish. Its Wycombe Wanderers fc not Matt Bloomfield fc. If Couhig doesnt act soon were doomed. Our run of fixtures from feb 10th looks horried.

• Appleton sacked at Charlton.

Out of the bottom half of the league us, Carlisle, Exeter, Port Vale and Reading are yet to change manager this season. All others have pulled the trigger. In most circumstances (Bristol Rovers, Cambridge, Cheltenham in particular) it's improved their results.

• The performance overall was poor. We barely created a chance. We had no structure as a team. We can't defend or attack on set pieces, what do we train for in the week? Certain players had flashes of moments but overall it was terrible entertainment.

Potts comes off, for whatever reason, we bring on Forino. Now either we go 5 at the back (car crash) or we put him in central midfield. At that point it was an Adam-esque set up with 10 players just running around in no particular formation. Why not replace our creative outlet with Leahy and put a left back to left back. Do we trust JJ so little we would rather play Forino in central midfield? It seems to me either we prefer to go with square pegs again or JJ is so untrusted by the manager he shouldn't be in the squad.

• Is the video of MB's post-match excuses not up yet?

• hopefully a statement comes out saying they have parted way is what I want to see

• blah blah blah

• Same old crap I'd imagine. Last week he said he couldn't understand how we were conceding so many late goals...

• Why anyone would put themselves through watching the interview after that finish I do not know.

• It's the same interview as the previous car crash game finishes. We deserved more, fine margins, we were on top, very unlucky, etc. Common theme - no personal or collective responsibility. Until the manager and then the team can stand up for the errors that are being made week in week out then there will be no improvement. It is like life 'don't worry darling, it's not your fault' creates an environment of accepted failure. Certificates of participation all round and there are no winners or losers here.

• edited January 24

The lack of accountability in the post match interview on our website is truly astounding. Calling Kone’s pinball opportunity the ‘chance of the game’ is nonsense and unfair on Kone loading him with guilt in his second ever league appearance after coming from non-league. Not only is that poor man management, it’s deceiving. They had a much clearer opportunity 1 on 1 in Tafazolli’s channel. That was the chance of the game. The interview is littered with other excuses, which I would be comfortable with if he at least took some responsibility with it, but he doesn’t.

Worst of all, no significant mention to the 160 odd fans who travelled all that way on a Tuesday night at the back end of January in wind-storm conditions during a cost of living crisis when they could have watched via Vipienne. No apology to them for the third consecutive away Tuesday night game injury time goal conceded to lose the game. Three Tuesday away games in a row where Matt has employed the same substitution and it’s gone wrong yet no accountability shown.

• To be fair, he always sounds sad and looks at the ground a lot when we lose.

• “We run out of legs or tactical nouse” yep, well spotted Blooms.

• edited January 24

It's the manager's job to take the flak. Not often they throw themselves or the players under a bus.

'Those idiots switched off after I've told them time and time again...no-one is listening. I ve lost the dressing room Pete should sack me if I don't win next week.'

Fans fill in the gaps usually.

• edited January 24

Who came nearest to scoring last night but for good/fortuitous positioning by the Wigan goalkeeper ?

I haven’t watched the post-match interview (and see no point in doing so) but an earlier post on here implied that MB had been insensitively critical of him for not scoring. A bit rich that. In the relatively short time that he was on the pitch, he twice got into goalscoring positions.

Alright, after strongly winning the ball in our own half, his pass to ? Sadlier or Campbell on the left touchline was underhit but I found both his own performance and a good deal of the team performance in the second half - certainly the approach work - to be well up to the standard we expect.

Wigan were very much on the back foot and, who knows, on another night Koné’s snapshot goes in, game management during the closing is properly handled and we all go to bed happy.

Those are the wafer thin margins that have afflicted us for too long. As @Shev and one or others (?) have suggested/implied, there’s something freaky about recent outcomes and it defies logic to assume that the pattern can continue indefinitely.

Wildly misplaced optimism of a died-in -the- wool supporter or a justifiable glimmer of hope?

• In a year or two the vast majority of people will have long forgotten the football and the result. Those memories will live with you and Sadie for a lifetime. A timely reminder in a sea of negativity of what really matters in life.

• Assuming it is the same interview on Twitter/X he's asked about the chance and his response is fairly reasonable - agrees it was good chance, says RK does well to go in position and that he's a young player who we shouldn't put too much pressure on.

• Let’s be fair though, Ainsworth learnt on the job and certainly would have been sacked if we could have afforded it. As much as I was ecstatic when we survived that famous Torquay weekend, the situation was out of our hands and thank god for a crap Bristol Rovers.