Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Bristol Rovers

Comments

• Yes, Leahy for me - he is always in the midst of everything, is an automatic pick on the teamsheet if healthy, and has the perfect captain's personality.

• edited January 1

Pathetic stuff down there with your worst. Don't sully tonight.

• Matt: "Resting Vokesy on Friday paid off for us today. Our medical guys advised us he had a few red flags and shouldn't play at Orient. I understand fans' frustrations from Friday night. That decision has gone our way in the end."

Presumably means TJ is injured? Why name someone on the bench if they can't play?

• Superb win. No-one could have been confident at 1-0 with 10 and half an hour to go.

Then ridiculously we're 3-0 up.

Incredibly important save by Max at 3-1 on about 92. If that goes in it'd have been carnage.

It felt a long last 90secs after their 2nd as it was.

Broken the long long no win run and a great start to the new year.

Looked a clear red from the Frank Adams stand with a boot that high but would be interesting to see again.

Not particularly anti Keogh but that was a bizarre sub. We already had 3 absolutely beast centre backs on. Adding a 4th just confused things.

• edited January 1

Anyone else still shaking their head and chuckling at the fact that we scored two open play goals in about five minutes with ten men, after taking about 13 hours to score two open play goals with eleven? Brilliant!

• Glorious stuff and hopefully a great swing of momentum in our season. Bloomfield spot on today for 80+ mins. Well done. Very impressed. Really hope this propels us.

• I almost opted for ifollow as I could turn down the booing...but went along. Great game played with passion. The red was harsh but understandable but I am so glad we won and showed character to do it. I don't want to upset @eric_plant but I did think the ref was poor...very inconsistent...Vokes was being pulled all over the shop, Low gets a yellow but a cynical foul on Potts gets nothing but an advantage and no card. Taff and Low were very good...in fact gathered whole back four looked controlled and confident. Shame about conceding, but there is no question the players put in a shift for their manager. Perhaps he has finally joined the Gasroom to learn how to win games! Happy New Year!

Don't agree @aloysius by the way...if you think you've been unjustly red carded I would expect a player to complain.

• Brilliant performance from everyone. Three goals at home and two of them when we only had 10 men - amazing.

Freddie Potts was truly outstanding but for me the MOM goes to Max for his amazing saves towards the end of the game.

This is just what Matt needed.

Today we had a better shape and tempo and Sammy Vokes lead the line brilliantly. He has been hammered on here by some individuals but today he was the business.

Let’s follow this up with a win at Burton lads - COYB.

Nice trip home you horrible lot of horse punchers after a double for the Mighty Wycombe.

• Oh, and we did the double over Bristol Rovers. Blooms is their kryptonite!

• edited January 1

I'm willing to admit that I might have been wrong about Scowen's Red, having looked at a replay clip, it does look bad but I firmly believe that the intent was never there to hurt the player

The clip for the red card is here:

https://twitter.com/breadedauto/status/1741857077033656678?t=hBOzuPacL26GZ7reO3cMQQ&s=19

• WWFC undefeated and 100% record in 2024!!!!!

• Football. Bloody hell

• Was Scowen’s challenge worth a red card? Debatably. Was Scowen’s challenge worth a three match ban? Not in a million years.

• We played with an intensity that has been missing for a while, and what a difference it made!

• Well, if *even* @micra said he was a MotM contender (on the MotM thread) then you know he has to have played out of his skin…

• No and No. I felt his standing leg slipped underneath him on the slippery surface, which then made it all look a lot worst.

• edited January 1

I've been a big Blooms critic and I've been clear that I wanted him out. However, today was our best performance under him and I now have some confidence that he can turn it around. We were absolutely brilliant from back to front. Vokes was outstanding, as was Potts, Max, Leahy. We actually won most of the second balls and 50-50s. The battling never let up. And the defence produced an incredible rearguard action until Keogh came on (unfortunately he was almost singlehandedly responsible for the siege we faced in stoppage time with a series of terrible clearances and headers).

• Am I right in thinking that under Ainsworth we didn't usually play 4-4-2 (more like 4-1-2-3 or 4-2-1-3)?

Which nagged at me because at this level, and with a Vokes/Akifenwa figure upfront, 4-4-2 looked to be a useful formation as a rule.

OK, maybe a bit light in midfield. But it allows wingers to get the crosses in, rather than the No 9 getting hoofs from the back.

And the No 9 has someone to play off him. No wonder there was more about Taylor today.

• Completely agree. A modicum of common sense should be considered.

• edited January 1

Surely 4-4-2 is the way forward now? Vokes clearly plays so much better with another striker playing off him. Today may have been his best performance for us. He was monstrous!

The fact we hadn't played this formation yet under Bloomfield is a sign of his stubbornness and naivety in management, persisting with the 3/5 at the back which clearly wasn't working. But hopefully he now realises that 4-4-2 is by far the best way to set up the (very talented) squad of players we have! If so, then I'm very optimistic about the rest of the season

• I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but I would be thrilled if Blooms turned it around fully. Out of everyone around the world who is celebrating Wycombe's win right now, I am by far the most happy for him.

• And finally, it's amazing that 3 of the 11 league games we've won under Blooms have been against the horse punchers! I couldn't think of a better club for us to have a hoodoo over (other than Oxford and MK)

• Amazing stat! Though I actually prefer a Rovers hoodoo even over Oxford, personally!

• I thought he battled really well. An excellent performance. But I was a bit on edge over how close he was to a second yellow card.

• I read elsewhere that the Cowley's turned up again today.

Celebrity fans??

• Not to put a dampener on a great, much needed win, anyone seen the highlights and the disagreement/argument at the end between Taf and Leahy after Rovers nearly equalised? Passionate..... 😶

• Somebody needs to sort them Cowleys out.