Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Leyton Orient

Comments

• This would never work, Clubs do this from time to time and it only ever undermines the managers authority and delays the inevitable. Besides if Dobbo, or Ainsworth and Dobbo actually wanted back in the why would we also need Blooms? His staff are either inherited or followed him from his last role, if Blooms wanted to have a go and implement some of the old ways he could do so. @Glenactico I think you might be right, we're good enough at best to contain sides but the attacking flow just isn't there and they seem unsuited to playing direct, much work ahead to improve regardless of choice.

• edited December 2023

With all due respect, the 1019 fans there did support the team 100% during the whole match. In fact, it was probably the best atmosphere at an away match I've experienced for years - excluding MK in the playoffs. The disapproval was at the end of the game. And I hope it showed to Rob Couhig (who was in attendance - I walked straight past him in his cowboy hat) what most fans thought of the performance

• That might be true, but the point for me is that this isn’t anyone else. This is the guy who has spent half his life at Wycombe, has learned from some of the best managers this club has ever has, has got more experience at this level of football than almost anyone and by all accounts is one of the most dedicated & hardworking people out there. The ingredients are all there and I hope he gets more time, and if he does then I’m still confident he’ll turn this around.

• I would politely suggest to him that fireworks would be as popular as a fart in a spacesuit with a lot of his punters if we turn in another uninspiring performance.

• So let’s assume that every post starts with ‘I love Matt Bloomfield but…’

His obvious tactical ineptitude is highlighted by his selection of the lone striker. Vokes is not a lone striker, the Taylors are not lone strikers. He signed the latter 2 so he must have known that. But he only ever plays them as lone strikers. It’s really that simple. He’s clueless. As Adams did he’s making good players bad.

• The booing was quite a moment for me. I wasn’t there but it was loud on TV. It just have shook the players and clearly rattled Bloomfield despite his brave front on the interview. When, not if, he gets sacked I think that will be the straw that broke the camels back moment.

• I didn’t boo but I certainly understood it.

People aren’t booing a clean sheet and a point away from home. People weren’t booing the work rate of the team. They weren’t booing any specific players. They weren’t booing Bloomfield’s character or commitment.

They’re booing the fact that we regularly play an hour of football at a time without creating a chance, week in week out, and that it’s utterly abysmal watch.

A 0-0 without a single on-target shot away from home would have been a low ebb under Ainsworth during the last few years. Now it’s one of our better outings in quarter of a season.

• edited December 2023

There's a few things keeping him in place for now I think.

We're not even in the relegation zone,let alone adrift.

He's not even had a full year.

And the big one, that mad extension a few weeks ago.

A combination of those keeps him in place for now.

• I agree but also worth noting that Gareth Ainsworth played Sam Vokes as a lone striker.

That approach worked ok in his first season - although it was ruthlessly exposed by Sunderland at Wembley - but has been less and less fruitful as time has gone on.

Dale Taylor is completely ill equipped to play that role. His selection last night was baffling.

However, in fairness to Matt, that was never plan A. Part of playing 3 at the back was it provided the opportunity to play with a front two which might better suit the players he’d signed.

Obviously it didn’t work at all and he (maybe reluctantly) has gone to 4-2-3-1 (more like 4-1-4-1 last night actually) but it’s hard to bury him for not having a suitable lone striker. He’s having to make do.

However, it would be a crime if he stayed in the job but then failed to find a suitable forward in the January window.

• We've gone from a team that were aiming for play offs, to the manager not being sacked because we aren't quite "cut adrift". He's taking us down.

• @WanderingDays, I did say I feared it (the booing & jeering) happening during the game on Monday. Others have already said that if we're a couple of goals down to Rovers the atmosphere might be pretty toxic.

Also some commented that the late substitution of Sadlier for Forino (presumably in Matt's eyes to help secure at least a point) did result in some disgruntlement with those present.

Frankly I was astonished that over 1,000 fans turned out to support Wycombe last night. All credit to them and their vocal encouragement, sadly it wasn't really rewarded.

• I'll be stood next to you telling them exactly what I think of the football on display.

• I don’t agree with dumping MB at the moment. He should have a minimum of 6 more games to turn it around. We should show him the same sort of loyalty that he has shown the club over the last 20 years. If we have fallen into the bottom 4 by then, well then it’s time to seriously consider a change. What skews my thinking somewhat is the crazy extension he was given to his contract a while back. A couple of wins and we’ll be back to the dizzy heights of mid table.

• The most worrying thing isn't that we are playing badly, it's that we don't seem to have a plan of how to win a game.

• That Rovers game certainly looks important now. Failing to win that matches the 13 game league winless run which would be a dreadful record to match.

• The atmosphere last evening was superb for most of the match. So much better than I’d expected. A lot of singing Vokes’ name in the second half as if he was the saviour but when he didn’t appear coupled with the bizarre appearance of Forino it changed to discontent. People around me who had sung all game turned to booing the performance. Josh took the players away with a look of disgust on his face and at that point we left. My group didn’t boo, the players don’t deserve that, most work their socks off in a system that doesn’t fit them. D Taylor offers nothing in the way he is played but he tries. So does everyone else. That said. L Taylor I do find disappointing, he looks petulant and that isn’t helpful. He’s also clearly not the player he was and I don’t think he’s going to be.

Her Indoors said Taf was given instructions by Blooms and did the hands open shoulder shrug “what you said makes no sense at all” gesture. I didn’t see that but if he did then that says it all.

I left feeling very saddened. Under Adams I often left feeling angry but he was a grade A cock. Blooms is a grade A decent man and I so wanted this to work. Right now it isn’t even close to working. I don’t think it can be turned around now.

• He chose Taylor last night as he was terrified of losing. So the having the fittest striker he had was the after he had chosen the other 10 positions was his only striker. Taylor is not a good striker. Nothing has shown me otherwise. Yeah yeah he was up against 2 big guys yesterday so its up to him to figure out his strengths and try and work ways around it. But he can't. Even when he gets in good shooting positions he doesn't. 3 goals in 18 games for us is par I guess but that is only because par is so bad. What we saw in him during his similar spell of goalscoring at Burton I don't know.

As for Lyle Taylor I will be disappointed to see him in Wycombe shirt again as he seems to have the onfield attitude of Dean Morgan and the goalscoring prowess of Trevor Aylott. But if we are stuck with him beyond Monday surely we have to play him with Vokes.

• That’s the thing that struck me last night. A complete lack of any plan. Looking at the team sheet, we should have been trying to keep the ball on the floor and play some nice football. We had a midfield three all capable of creating, Leahy at left back, and a front three not capable of ever winning a header. We then proceeded to lump the ball long at every opportunity to their two 6ft 5 centre backs. I have no problem with playing long ball football, but at least bring on Vokes and Wheeler to challenge for the long balls.

Eventually Wheeler was brought on, but was playing in midfield, in no position to challenge for the long balls anyway, and gave the ball away a couple of times when we did work it through the middle.

Our only hope of scoring all game seemed to be some magic from Sadler from the left, and then with 10 mins to go he was taken off for a centre back to go 5 at the back... I would have accepted that away at Pompey, but Orient were distinctly average and easily beatable.

• This is silly! If we sack him after another 6 games, it's the end of January and the next manager would be stuck with a load of new players signed by Blooms. It would be the worst time to sack him.

As others have said, he either gets sacked after Rovers (assuming the performance is just as bad as every other game recently) or Couhig releases a statement saying that he's here until the end of the season

• Good point away from home

• Another 6 games? We'll possibly be 18 games without a win at that point. Why keep persisting with something that isn't working and has never even looked close to working for almost a year? Out of nothing but blind faith

• The other thing that will keep him in place is the naivety and arrogance of the owner. He gave Blooms an unnecessary contract extension, he will now want to save face. That said he is clueless when it comes to the game so wouldn’t know a poor or decent manager anyway.

There will come a point when the fans vent their frustrations beyond the manager, most probably post fireworks. And that will not be well received.

• An arbitrary six more games sees the transfer window closed and potentially us adrift in the relegation zone. Then any new manager will have the get out of jail 'well it was broke when I arrived'.

It's a horrid situation

• It's hard to see how they'd have the experience or knowledge to make a decisive move.

Therefore the most likely outcome is we stay as we are for the foreseeable and hope to scrape enough points to stay 5th or 6th bottom..

• edited December 2023

Then it's partly up to the fans to put enough pressure on that they have to make a decisive move. Couhig will take far more flak than Bloomfield if this continues - and he's not gonna like that one bit.

• The other problem with 6 more games is that Feb sees us play the top 5 pretty much back to back.

• Trouble with that is, even more fans will find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon and our dwindling attendances will get even worse.

• We could be in deep deep deep trouble at the end of February. Couhig has to act as soon as possible