Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Exter

Comments

• I wasn't at the game today, but L Taylor hasn't been remotely match fit since he joined. We can either suffer the hard yards of him struggling back to fitness and then have him inevitably leave, or just cut our losses now.

• Would be devastating to see Bloomfield sacked, but sadly, after today it's looking like that's where we're heading. I hope he can turn it around, but it is just hope now, there's no real belief it will happen.

Despite the above, I'd still rather have Bloomfield in charge than the Cowley brothers! I really can't understand why anyone would want them in charge.

• It’s got so bad , even he couldn’t defend how bad Bloomfield clearly is tactically and in terms of motivating the players. But still cannot see Couhigs sacking him. They appointed him and recently gave him an extension. It would reflect poorly on them.

• It'll reflect even worse on them if they don't sack him and we get relegated.

• My concern is that I think Bloomfield has fallen into a sort of bunker mentality about his tactics that is going to be incredibly tough to shake him out of, I thought he had managed it in the 2 previous games when we changed to 4 at the back but in the last game he changed back to a 5 after 70 minutes & they equalised; then blow me, he starts with a 5 today. I get the need to totate but...

The last 2 games showed that his first choice XI are good enough they are just lacking confidence, where we are struggling is the lack of quality in the subs and players who dont really work in either a 5 or 4 at the back. As I said on X if Keogh is the answer then it was a very silly question (or you are incredibly desparate).

I hope he turns it around but I am currently unsure he will; though as others have said I dont think couhig will sack him.

• There are two types of people when faced with failure. Bloomfield believes so much in his work and I am sure works tirelessly in creating his tactics he simply can’t believe it’s not working. And there he’s like a rabbit in the headlights. Good managers in all walks of life are equipped with plans a through to z and can implement them as the needs arrive. You also empower your players to problem solve themselves. In games where we have been humiliated by playing it out from the back v a team using a high press defenders should have made the decision to stop it. They are either not empowered to do so or are being coached not to. This is just one example of piss poor management and piss poor leadership. If this is his learning curve I’m happy to forgive but we are 10 months in now and the beloved stats tell a different story.

• Better off investing £250k into the squad and let Blooms' contract run down if that's the case? I don't think it's Blooms' that is the problem. Recruitment wasn't good enough and we have lost that Wycombe "never say die" spirit,

• But you can’t say Blooms isn’t the problem and recruitment wasn’t good enough, if we believe that Blooms signed the players he wanted in the summer.

• Recruitment was fine anyway - more than fine - the manager just isn't getting nearly enough out of the squad at his disposal.

• i fully agree. That pretty much sums up where I am too

• On paper we have brought in some great players. Leahy is outstanding. Philips is outstanding. Potts is outstanding. Saddlier is now ready to join the outstanding list. Breckin fail, Taylors mneh, Keogh so so, Boyes so so, KVY so so.

Where recruitment has failed is how do they fit into a team with the existing players that the manager wants to play 5-3-1-1. It doesn’t. Boyes and KVY in pre season were flying up the wing as wing backs, season starts they don’t cross the half way line. Leahy plays everywhere. Potts anchors the midfield but we can only have so many central midfielders, etc etc. As fans we don’t have a clue what formation is being tried each week and this is Adams era conversations. Bloomfield is playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.

• For me, I think Friday is now pretty important for MB.

Looking at today’s selection (extremely) generously there is a slither of logic in managing players workload and ‘resting’ players who did pretty well three days previously.

it backfired (predictably and dismally) but if the intent was just about protecting players, presumably Friday we can look forward to a return to a less geriatric back 4 and the promise of some coherent football.

If we do deliver that (and can somehow find a win as well) I may not close the book on MBs managerial career with us.

But a repeat of todays line up and ‘tactics’ and (regardless of the result) I will cross the floor and join the (reluctant) ‘he’s not really good enough and needs to go’ camp.

• I’m sorry but even though I have huge respect for Blooms and his contribution to the club, he isn’t getting a tune out of this squad.

Matt, you need to change something…formation, personnel, style, pace…something. And it needs to be something bigger than a little tinker here and there.

The team has lost confidence…we go a goal down, our heads go down and we look beaten.

’Losing by the odd goal’ shouldn’t hide the fact that we are conceding every week.

And we don’t score nearly enough goals, despite creating a reasonable number of half chances.

Desperate times.

• Im sorry but way to much sentiment yes Bloomfield has been a great servant & is a top bloke but no one is bigger than our amazing club. We need to act now all our hard work over the last few years to get to where are could end is disaster. Just look at the likes of Stockport, Nott County, Rochdale, Scunthorpe, Yeovil, Chesterfield all dropping out of the fl. On paper our squad should be nowhere near the bottom of the league. Get an expierienced manager in asap before its to late.

• In a nutshell

• edited December 2023
  • It is very odd that a player who spent 20 years delivering high energy never say die performances in the centre of our midfield now prefers his team to play sedate, pedestrian, tippy tappy football. For so long we were really hard to beat (as every manager wanted to point out) and now we are so easy to be turnover it’s embarrassing.

I’m also not sure the dressing room of the last decade (that Matt was the beating heart of) would have tolerated Lyle Taylor’s flouncing and desire to lay on the turf instead of taking a hit and doing his all to win a header or a tackle.

• I'm shocked that a guy who refused to play for a previous club has an attitude problem

• The Georgian money was just resting in Rob's account.

Christ, the club is turning into a sitcom.

• Matt Bloomfield oversaw all of those mentioned coming to the club.

• The only player that Bloomfield has signed on the outstanding list is Potts and he is injured and either going back next month or in May. Leahy is a very good signing and Low reasonably good. The other signings have either been average or poor. Our squad is imbalanced, lacking pace and unimpressive in attack. With older players and players likely to leave in the summer, I’m already fearful over next season as well as this one.

• Low is much more than 'reasonably good' and it beggars belief he wasn't in the team today.

• Low has gone from first name on the team sheet to accident prone and vulnerable. That’s a mental thing. He’s not playing with the same partner 2 games in a row. Forino could have been in The Championship and now he’s coughing and farting through another season. Good players being made bad is another Adams flashback for me.

• Yeah, the chopping and changing of centre-backs is killing us (among the many other things).

• Sorry to beat a dead horse and all but…

Bloomfield always chooses extremely wooden centre halves. The lack of agility on the half turn is killing our ability to progress play out of our defence without long balls to Vokes. And we’re really bad on second balls since Gaz left. It was extremely obvious on the opening day. And it’s even more obvious now. Got to go.

• As my dearly departed gran said "you aren't sorry or you wouldn't do it",

Unfortunately she said it to Richard Keogh when they were at school together.

• I gave up on Keogh when I saw his tantrum at being substituted away at Northampton.

It’s clear to me that Bloomfield does not command the respect of the dressing room as that outburst proved.