Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Exter

Comments

• Why on earth would someone like Danny Cowley, a successful manager in his own right, take a consultancy / DoF job when that isn't what he's done before?

Some of the suggestions on this thread have been madness.

• You’ve not read an @aloysius post before?

• Bloomfield is on a salary no more than £150k per annum. Taking into account his one year extension earlier in the season, it will cost less than £250k to sack him.

• edited December 2023

Considering how Couhig has reacted to the odd bit of mild criticism from supporters in the past, I don't think he's going to take too kindly to a large part of the fan base turning on him when he doesn't sack Bloomfield. I sense things are going to get quite ugly.

• Should sack him a couple of times then if it's that cheap

• Listening to MB interview after the game....if adding Keogh & JJ is freshing up the team then there is no hope for him.

• I meant Stroud but I don't imagine that being much more fun or informative tbh

• £250k loss on two months worth of work is really awful though

• Keogh seems a nice chap, but he wouldn't freshen up a crypt.

• I like to think we are simply focusing on the Papa Checka-Bristol Motors Cup this season.

• (Decides not to post that Zidane is currently out of work)

• Zidane plays for Stevenage now.

• The club does have a rich history of headbutting, to be fair.

• Has Mr parry be on here to defend Bloomfield yet?

• Gary Crowley would be good

• I don’t want Matt Bloomfield legacy at Wycombe wanderers to be tainted by further sub par performances and results. Either the players he has assembled aren’t good enough or they aren’t playing for him or he’s not able to get the best out of them.

Something has to change and I fear that considering he has used pretty much the whole squad in the last 10 games it’s not going to be the players.

To Echo the sentiment someone said earlier in this thread, we need to get someone that can get performances greater than the sum of its parts out of this squad just to see us to safety.

At the start of the last two seasons I have said you can only judge after about 10 games. Well, looking at the form of the last 10, we’ll be comfortably relegated

• Did no-one else expect rotation over these four games?

• That's going into Danny Senda scoring the own goal at Tranmere that finally got Sanchez the bullet territory.

• I just find the whole thing demoralizing from a human viewpoint. Bloomfield gave twenty years of his life to us, travelling from a long way and missing so much time with his wife and kids. I know that no man is bigger than the club, but he has deserved a better chance than most, and knowing how hard the sack would be on him is pretty heartbreaking. The fact that it does not appear to be working out is more depressing than it would be for pretty much anyone else.

• Is it really only a year ago since GA rotated 8(?) players for the equivalent fixture and we turned in an excellent performance?

• I wasn't at today's game but the team selection was curious to say the least

Max ok

Wheels right wing back??? Jack ok

KVV left wing back???

Keogh Mr slow and is TOO old for a back 4

JJ Slow again

Josh ok

Luke ok

Sadlier ok

Phillips ok

Vokesy can't do more than 70 minutes let alone 2 games in 3 days

Why no Boyes or Low starting? Young legs

I'm sorry but the constant tinkering with the tactics and team to incorporate Keogh is absurd and annoying.

• Eustace being bandied around as the next manager is like when Sean Dyche was touted as a replacement for Gary Waddock. Vanishingly small to zero chance of him joining us.

• I’m pretty confident he won’t be sacked. And my mindset is one of pity for a guy who looks broken and lost in the interview.

And with all the flak aimed at Matt as is tradition with managers I think it’s fair to turn some attention to the underperforming players. L Taylor in my eyes is stealing a living as a striker. A whinging flop of a player. On his arse more than his heels. Vokes I’m afraid is done. Third season in a row of huff and puff. Misses too many half chances when a top striker scores his percentage of half chances. The only way we get anything out of him is for us to change to a formation that does the big man / little man thing which we won’t. D Taylor is not good enough. Not willing to shoot, therefore won’t score. Keogh wants to be the centre of everything. He’s not good enough to be that. Thinks he can pass like Ronaldo, has the athleticism of the original Ronaldo (as at today). I could go on but week after too many players are 6/10 and that’s the problem. Bloomfield is talking up a team that is clearly not good enough, they need a rocket. And I suspect he’s not the guy to give it to them.

The three bright sparks in the team can’t do it all. And the leadership core has been injured too much to help.

For a manager who’s so early in his career I simply think this is too much for him. He needs to deal with tactics, styles, players and aging ‘stars’. He’s now trying the Tony Adams tinker technique and it’s a fucking mess.

It’s a dangerous game of sticking with Bloomfield under the current trajectory. We have a month of transfer activity for someone to untangle this mess of a squad into something coherent. Trusting in the guy currently in charge is a huge risk.

• I feel similarly. It's pretty horrid watching him struggle.

But it is worth remembering that he got to enjoy a career as a professional footballer, which is a job many dream of. I'm sure that came with sacrifices but it's still a damn good gig. He'll probably find an enjoyable coaching role too after the inevitable end of his management career with us.

Although I'm sure he's not enjoying things right now, the big picture is that he's extremely fortunate and the odd sacking or relegation simply comes with the territory.

• The attack is a real concern. We gave both Vokesy and Lyle T the allowance of not being match fit, but both have played enough since to be there by now.

It feels a little like that season that whimpered out when we were trying to knock it long to Thompson and Hayes all game.

Ainsworth went big on attacking players that summer and with McCleary, Vokes and both Taylors probably off, we could need a huge rethink.

• edited December 2023

Joseph turned us down but I've got a better idea. Local guy with an incredible record as player and manager. Says he'll do it just to get out of the house. Fans won't say anything no matter what happens. Martin's his name.......