Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Port Vale

Comments

• The last two games have been good in my view. 4 points would have been just reward for performances delivered.

Taken in isolation I think most people would be pretty satisfied and feel we were unlucky today.

Unfortunately, we're now in a position where people are impatient for results because what came before was so dreadful.

• I agree with the fact that this is one of the best squads we have had but what is missing for me is the pace, particularly in the wide areas. The last two home games we have dominated play but we are slow and laboured in our build up.

Hopefully with Potts on his way back and a chance to make some additions in the January window, we can start to put together some positive results.

One thing I did notice today was when Richard Thomas came to the touchline to give GMac some instructions, GMac seemed to dismiss his instructions with a shrug of the shoulders. Hopefully this is not a sign of the players losing faith in the management team.

• Its time to go simple as that

• One of the best squads? Not by a long way. Completely imbalanced, little pace, lack of attacking class, too many loans. I worry about next season as well as this as I think it needs a complete rebuild.

• Bad luck normally balances out but bad management is a different thing.Cannot imagine RC is ok with the situation when looking to sell.

• Yes, it's hard to accept it as one of the best squads when we struggle so much for goals.

And we've had better keepers, centre backs and wingers over just recent years alone.

• I wonder at which stage last season Franchise went from ‘there’s no way we’re going down’ to ‘crap…’

This feels eerily similar?

• I don’t think I’ve seen this mentioned elsewhere (so apologies in advance if it’s a “Titanic sinks” moment…) but in the pregame interview with MB - which is presumably content recycled from WTV - he said that “a couple of things are close to coming off” in January.

Now of course that means nothing until any deal is signed, sealed and delivered - but I wonder what we would be going for.

Yeah yeah, maybe it’s a new carpet supplier or something…

But if he was talking in transfer terms, presumably we’d have to ship players out before we signed anyone else?

I could see DeBarr going out on loan, as he’s not getting a sniff at the moment.

Other than that I’m not sure, Pattenden has looked decent but again with KVY back, and McCarthy apparently not far off, maybe it may be better for him to be actually playing rather than down the pecking order.

• Our squad still has two or three official places left. Breckin is almost certainly leaving.

Pattenden is injured so doubt anyone will be signing him.

• doh - yes, you’re right about Pattenden, and I think it was supposed to be quite a bad injury too.

Didn’t realise we still had free spaces in the squad - considering we have a few players injured and still have players that barely get a look-in, I thought we had a fairly big squad.

• I actually enjoyed the game today (if not the result). I agree "brilliant" is stretching things, but first half especially there was some really good attacking interplay and movement. For the first time in weeks (I didn't see the Derby game) we looked like a team that had an idea of how to play football (admittedly against a poor and unambitious opponent).

We do need a little bit of luck if we are going to avoid a relegation scrap (and after the late equaliser today it does feel we are heading in that direction), but for the first time in quite a while I think we have what we need to turn it around, assuming we don't lose half our team to injuries again.

Taken in isolation, today was just one of those things - a good performance ruined by a sucker punch, but in the context of recent results it was a real punch to the guts.

• Really thought we’d push on if we scored first against a team that offered nothing and instead the wheels rather fell off. Once Vokes left we got L Taylor who was better than he’s been before but that doesn’t say much. Max’s kicking was woeful today but at least the players looked like they cared.

Nor sure it’s time yet to sack Blooms but if he can’t see that the first half was a formation and approach that suits the players he has then I think it’s over. You can’t fit square pegs into round holes.

• We were very good up to our goal. Port Vale then came back at us and probably deserved their equaliser.

Two good displays in a row, defensively much better, we produced a number of attacks.

It was a shame we sat back trying to protect the 1-0 rather than going for a second. I thought Vale moved the ball quickly through the thirds at times and played very well after we scored. Gutted we couldn't get the three points.

Our high press on their keeper really worked but after we scored, we seemed to stop doing it. A game plan or tiredness, who knows. Four at the back is definitely the way forward. McCleary was very poor first half but his cross was inch perfect for the goal.

Lyle Taylor looked much better when he came on today and had a good game at Derby.

I'd hope we'd get some wins under our belt between now and 6th January with how we've played the last two games. Hopefully that will allow Matt to keep learning and growing as a manager.

• If we hold on for a few minutes today, everyone really thinks we have begun to turn the corner. Yes, the result was not what we wanted, but put it in context of the improve performances over the past couple of games, with a good formation and players coming back.

• edited December 2023

Draws are 1 point apiece, mate. Happy to give you any other basics of the game as needed.

• My point is that dominating games doesn’t mean anything.

How many times over the last few years have we won games with only around 30% possession.

MB’s job is to win games and to put points on the board and he’s simply not doing that.

I can’t remember too many occasions during my 28 years supporting this club where we have had winless runs like this.

Whenever we have it’s usually ended in relegation or very close to it.

• Yes I think that fair.

One clear issue we do now have is that the squad is so imbalanced because it was built for the 3 at the back way of playing. So lots of wing backs and centre halves and not many wingers (and not helped by Mustard’s injury).

Not great when you’re trying to play 4-2-3-1 and have a punishing Xmas schedule ahead of you.

You sense that Matt withdrew McCleary and Sadlier so early today because he knows he has to wrap them in cotton wool until January as he’s no real replacement for either of them.

Once he did today we offered no threat whatsoever, so he’s in a catch 22 situation (albeit of his own making to some degree).

• Fair, but performances have improved the past couple of games, which means the points will come at some point. We were a thin piece of paper away from a solid win today. I know we did not get it, but that does not negate the reality that we are playing better.

• I could be wrong but can't Leahy play left wing? And Wheeler certainly right wing. In fact I'd be very happy to see those two either side of Scowen and Potts when the latter is back.

• edited December 2023

Better to be playing well and progressing towards wins than playing badly and actually getting wins which only paper over the cracks - over a short period, at least. There will always be anomalies, but performances and results generally go hand in hand...

• I’m sure it’s down to fitness the reason why we don’t have Vokes alongside one of the Taylor’s. Phillips for all his effort and endeavour is not the player to pick up on flicks and scraps. When the Taylor’s were on that service went too.

• Made a huge difference today having Scowen pressing higher.

He's our best player but when we play a low block he rarely gets high enough to pressure the opposition's anchor player in midfield. Today he was hunting it down as soon as the ball was played I to midfield.

Likewise, Vokes led the line because we gave him more of the kind of balls he wanted, rather than delivering a 50 yard pass from a deep centre back.

That formation gets so much more out of our most capable players.

• So do we want to pay off MB and his team and pay out for a new management team to secure our promotion rather than buying The Player in January?

I doubt we can do both.

Which one will mean Rob C is showing ambition?

• On a lighter note, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any player outrun by Sam Vokes before - I’m presuming that that was the guy who got hooked at half time? (Tom Sang, I believe).

• I’m not persuaded that “cokes” missed an absolute sitter. The ‘keeper and a defender smothered the ball a split second before he got there. But I agree with your last sentence.