Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Port Vale

Comments

• Bloomfield is suffering from the terrible end to the season and the boring football his team has produced lately can’t imagine he’s got much more time as less and less fans turn up ,its like a library at Adams park at the moment

• edited December 2023

It's unthinkable that we'd make a change when we've only just extended Bloomfield's contract.

Without any doubt he's in for the rest of this season. And that makes sense. Sacking a manager who hasn't at least had a complete season is the stuff of a terribly run club.

• Anyone saying there's "no way we will go down" is talking nonsense. We haven't won a league game since the start of October and are statistically one of the worst teams in the league over the last 10 or so games.

We absolutely could go down. Results need to improve, fast. I can't see past a change in manager if we don't win one of the next 2-3 games.

• Exactly this.

We need a league win or 2 of any nature asap.

Reading were a million miles behind and now are just 6 points for one.

• We have turned the first corner by getting rid of 3-5-2, the improvement in the last two games is clear to see playing 4-2-3-1.

The next four games are crucial.

• Cambridge were behind us, they changed their manager and are now 3 points and 4 places above us. At some point sentimentality will have to be taken out of the decision making if these results don't change.

• Matt Bloomfield has done a poor job since taking over, there can be no argument.

• Clearly sitting amongst curmudgeons creates peer pressure to see games differently. How anyone can not see that level of domination is beyond me.

• It’s possible to understand that the last couple of months haven’t been close to acceptable

but, that the change of formation is a positive sign

and that there’s no way Couhig will fire him.

• edited December 2023

A 1-0 win and an evening saying yeah that felt comfy enough is how I thought it was going.

But domination? Don't get that at all.

Of those 19 shots, 6 were blocked for starters. We also had less possession too.

Only 1 big chance each too.

• As a manager that puts so much emphasis on stats the win ratio is rarely one that comes up. It’s a results game. I love Matt Bloomfield. I think we have one of the best squads ever assembled. The results suck. What happens next is sadly inevitable. And we are too good to go down in the same way the Titanic was unsinkable.

• It's a results business. If we still cannot buy a win against teams around us even with changing the formation, then that is not positive.

If Couhig has any degree of ambition, he wouldn't be willing to stand by and watch the club heading into a relegation battle.

• Well there can be from the Couhigs who said his work had been superb or some similar description last year.

• How many points do you get for this “domination” just out of interest?

• We were great first half, got the goal and inexplicably dropped off and started hoofing it into fierce wind.

Today was a further improvement but only from a desperately low base. There’s no doubt this squad is horribly underachieving - big Xmas coming up.

• There were 5-6 times when players got on the ball just outside the box and when they shot, scuffed it tamely.

Not sure if the wind was a major factor as Vale did it a couple of times as well.

• edited December 2023

It does at least seem like we're finally on an upward trajectory. I guess the question is how steep, and will it go far enough? As has been noted, the bar was very low.

• Rob’s got a least four millions more reasons than the rest of us to be ambitious.

• Blooms is on a hiding to nothing with much of not only The Gasroom but also the rest of our supporters.

He shows some pragmatism in the last 2 games & moves from what appeared to be his favoured 3 CB system to a 4 at the back system that made better use of our resources & their talents & met the fans demands, but because the wins dont come immediately he is villified. Maybe the change was forced due to injuries, maybe because of a good shake of the head on his part, who cares we look a better team for it. It does create some headaches for him & his coaching team as we have 2 RWBs who have never impressed as FBs, so are a little light in that position; whiclst Leahy can play LB he is wasted there, but thankfully boyes seems to have got what his job is in a back 4 over the last 2 games. In addition once Potts comes back we are spoilt for choice in midfield but who plays will absolutely depend on whether the tactical choice is 4-2-1-3/4-2-1-2-1, 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 given that we are not awash with wide players.

I think we will have an interesting January window...

• I think if that was the case, he'd have sacked him weeks ago.

• I love Blooms, he's a hero. But surely absolutely no one can say with a straight face that he's doing a good job?

39 points from 36 games is a near relegation record.

Attendances are waning and the atmosphere in the stands feels apathetic at best. Albeit with some slightly better play, it was an almost carbon copy of the last few weeks, and I wasn't surprised today when we conceded. The goal seemed to be greeted with more shrugs of the shoulder in the terrace than any other reaction.

What does Couhig actually want the club to achieve?

• Not that I think a relative lack of ambition (if that's the case) is a bad thing - we were only ever going to be mid-table this season imo.

• edited December 2023

Tbh, I'd imagine his main concern now is having an EFL club to sell. And we shouldn't be accepting relegation - obviously - but how much less appealing would League Two Wycombe be than League One Wycombe? If you look at where other Americans have been putting their money (Wrexham, Gillingham etc). The point I'm trying to make is I don't think the size of the club changes in the eyes of would-be investors.

• I thought we were excellent in the first half and it was a very entertaining game.

• Speaking of investment, did we ever get any clarity on what the deal was with Lomtadze?

• Things are rough at the moment but I don’t think we’ll get relegated twice this season.

• 5 points in the last 10 games (us) play 3 points in the last 10 games (Exeter) on Boxing Day. The two worst runs of form in the league.

• edited December 2023

Of course its disappointing not to win, but there have been positives out of last week and today.

Following the post mortem that followed the Shrewsbury game, most of us (just about!) felt that Matt should be given more time but had to change his approach as the 3 at the back / endless meaningless possession / xG fetish just wasn’t working.

To his credit, he’s recognised a change needed to be made and we’ve been better for it. Both last week and this. We simply have more of our better players in their best positions now.

However, We weren’t brilliant today overall, we were just ok. Vale were there for the taking and we couldn’t really rise to a level that would enable us to put the 3 points to bed and we paid the price. But it was a start.

There’s a lot of football to play in the next few weeks - today’s game was the first of 7 matches in 22 days and I feel more confident about going into it with today’s approach than what we’ve seen in the rest of the season.