Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Morecambe (FA CUP)

Comments

• Very concerning to hear from members of the non-lunatic fringe that we lack both organization and effort.

• Can't see why you'd scapegoat a teenager with only a handful of league games to his name after a display where the entire team was way off the pace.

• Well, they were sitting just below me, and one of the girls was certainly enjoying dancing with her Mum to the Pogues before the game started.

I can't speak for the rest of the afternoon.

• Personally I think that having so many inexperienced loan players is a significant part of the problem, but that’s down to the coaching staff not the individuals. If you were GMac sitting on the bench you would surely be absolutely pulling your hair out watching that inept attacking display once we had crossed the half way line.

• It's not just the inexperience, it is the fact that they will not fully buy into the philosophy of the club because they know that they will not be here next year.

• The experienced players contracted to the club weren't much cop today either. Forino kept running forward with the ball with the appearance of being about to do something exciting with it...before passing it into touch...or to the opposition. I'm pretty sure that was not part of the coaching this week.

Terrible performance which will surely be a wake up call before Rob sends an.open letter.

• Our loanees under Gaz didn't seem to have trouble buying in

• Not sure if this has already been posted, but the attendance today was 1,604...

• Bit more nuanced than that. A loanee, Phillips, was arguably our most committed player today. Potts, when fit, possibly our most creative player. And, Breckin , err…..

• Surprised the club posted it tbh

• Most of the discussion seems to be...gave up a while ago/gave up today/will give up next Saturday/will give up in January/will give up in May.

We've all given up on Bloomfield and are just debating when to announce it.

• Forino won't be here next season, so again he is unlikely to buy into the current philosophy.

• Would anyone take Ten Hag?

• I’ve not given up on Matt, but things have got to change. The whole strategy isn’t working and he needs to go back and re-think it.

As so many have said tonight that starts with the 3 at the back. It’s such a hard formation to get right.

You simply have to have wingbacks that can make a big contribution to your attacking play. If not you end up passing it around endlessly and harmlessly in front of the opposition’s defence. Which is where we are now.

For example, it worked for Gareth in the last few months of the Championship season because Fred was exceptional. But it didn’t work at the start of last season with Obita and McCarthy. He realised it and changed.

Matt’s problem is that he’s completely built his squad around this way of playing. But he either sacrifices his plans or sacrifices his job. His call.

• He took on a poison chalice though. He actualy has a higher win rate than most of the recent managers.

• Would like to see a list of players whose deal ends this season - surely it must be pretty much the entire squad? I’m very concerned about next season if we survive this season unless we finish extremely strongly.

• edited December 2023

If players want a move up to the champ, they’d better start performing.

• Forino is a weird case this season. He has not been bad, per se, just not as dominant as his high standards. Used to win MOTM about 4 out of 10 matches he was involved in, but none this season, very few votes, and just seems rather quiet.

Did the QPR situation destabilize him?

• Agree. The sad thing here is that we have some players who look like they are giving 80%. Under Gaz we had players who always gave 100%, albeit not always with 100% effectiveness. On paper we have more talent than we’ve often had but the fight isn’t there. And it’s the size of the fight in your dog after all.

When JJ came on he looked like he wanted it and rather shocked that most other players didn’t. We’ve lost the ‘run through walls’ mentality. That said when players like Darius and Bayo were in the building, playing through pain yet relentlessly passionate, motivating and encouraging it is no wonder everyone else turned up every game (even if at times, we looked dreadful).

I’m not sure how Matt brings that back. Phillips looks like he’s got the fire, Josh always does but on subject of the latter, I’m not sure he’s the right player for the captains armband. I’d like to see it on Luke L when he’s back, we need someone who can motivate and inspire when we’re 2-0 down to a side a league below us in the cup in freezing fog.

As for Ravazzolli I was not impressed. Max back if he can have his head in the game. TJ is full of effort and is not a league one player. D Taylor I don’t get what his skill set is, L Taylor not sure yet… seems to get held a lot but doesn’t do much to get away from it, prefers moaning to the ref and waving his arms. I thought Keogh was better today in that he wasn’t moving like he was on ketamine but he came on when we were fucked and chasing a lost cause. I’m sure had he been on from the start he’d have had more passes than everyone else combined and sod all would have come of them.

Tactics. Jack said post game that the Gaffer has a way of playing and the players aren’t delivering it well enough. I get that but I’m not sure they can deliver it because the skill set isn’t there. It’s over to Matt to accept that and try something else. I’m still giving him the benefit of the doubt, learning, young etc but every game that goes by when little changes….

• For me at least.... I think you are spot on there

• I’m still much more pissed off about Max throwing a point away on Tuesday night.

• At least you didn't say he will be off in January @mooneyman 😉 if any scouts are watching somebody better pull their finger out or no-one is going anywhere!

• Amongst all the very understandable gnashing of teeth tonight, I think we ought to just mention that Morecambe did superbly today - even if we were utter crap.

They've had their own problems with ownership issues, Derek Adams leaving and getting hammered 6-0 last week.

As an away performance against a team in the division above in difficult conditions, it was everything their fans could have asked for.

And in Farrend Rawson, I thought they had the best player on the pitch. Totally dominated Lyle Taylor and didn’t give our powderpuff frontline a sniff.

• Agree @Theatre_of_Chairs they did deserve the win...

• Time is up for MB. He looked a broken man in his interview post match. Travelling between Ipswich and Adam's Park daily taking it's toll along with coaching staff he picks up on his way. Need an immediate change. This is GA's club along with Dobbo and they need to be reappointed to fix this before we are relegated.

• MB should not be sacked. Ridiculous to say so. He needs to turn it around. He needs to learn how to get these players playing. He needs to make tough choices. And the players need to go along with him. We have lost the tempo players like Gape and Thompson who would win balls in the middle and close the opposition down. We have lost leaders (until Grimmer and JJ came on). And we have added (on paper) more refined players. We need to balance that out and make changes. Josh needs help in the middle. We need a formation that suits our players not an ideal. We need to have fuxking shot

• I don’t think it is ridiculous to suggest it. He has not only the worst win percentage since Tony Adams but alarmingly the players are not playing for him.

By the way, Gape and Thompson were both allowed to leave and took an age to find new clubs. Both haven’t been replaced.

• ‘like Gape and Thompson’ energy and passion, and a decent passing ability. We built our teams around those tempo players.

And no we should not sack MB. He will be a terrific coach. He needs time. The players need to be responsible. It’s a collective failure. Yesterday was a collective failure on and off the pitch. We had lost before kick off.