Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Barnsley

Comments

• Still can't believe the manner in which we lost the game, but I thought Max done well up until that point but obviously counts for nothing now.

Barnsley were the better team especially in the 2nd half and went looking for a winner whilst we seemed happy with a point.

Thought Sadlier showed something when he come on.

Overall though it was a pretty dire match to watch. Thankfully we abandoned the pass it out from the goal kick off after 1 attempt we're we never got it more than 20 yards from our goal before losing possession.

One other point I thought the ref was ok yet a women behind me must of shouted Drysdale's name about 200 times and this was before the so called foul on Max. Was painful to listen to.

• We could deal with more agricultural football and allegedly some of the dark arts with Gaz as we generally were a winning team.

But currently the football is poor, the gamesmanship doesn't help and we're swiftly dropping.

However, hopefully a couple of cup games give us a change of scenery.

• It shouldn't be forgotten that Potts, Vokes, Hanlan and Leahy are huge losses.

As well as Pattenden is doing, technically he's our 4th choice right wing back too.

• Sorry but JJ is not the answer here, he's as slow if not slower than Keogh. Have we all forgotten the amount of times he was roasted down the wing last season, as a sub late on maybe, but like Keogh not a starter for me.

• Just a word in praise of our support. First away game for me this season and I though there was a decent amount of noise/singing a bit unnecessarily sweary at times but heard a lot worse.

The home support up until we gave them a goal was unbelievably quiet. Hardly heard a sound all game. Pretty much ever incoming substitute was met with silent indifference.

• Would take Ainsworth football back in a heartbeat over this dross. It's pedestrian, boring and zero cutting edge. If you were a player who would inspire you more Ainsoworth or Bloomfield? Bloomfield lovely guy but just not happening and had long enough now to implement something.

• 4-2-3-1 for me on Saturday.

Boyes I presume is suspended. I have presumed all players who were not available last night are still injured.

Ravizzoli

JJ

Tafazzoli

Low

Pattenden

Scowen

Phillips

McCleary

Wheeler

Sadlier

Taylor

• Just summoned the courage to watch that incident. All I can say is Andy Dibble is probably relieved he's been outdone in the embarrassed keeper stakes.

• With Boyes being suspended, 4 at the back looks likely.

@wwfcblue that looks close to how I would go. I would possibly give TJ a start maybe for Wheeler who looks to have taken a battering in the last couple of games.

• Still can’t believe there’s some arguing if it was a foul or not. Let’s be generous and say it’s 50:50.

What it 100% was, was gamesmanship and had Max held onto the ball, I wouldn't have had any qualms had the ref booked him for diving and awarded a pen/indirect free kick.

• A penalty for being pushed over?

• Why is it a problem? He surely would have been dropped anyway for his ridiculous antics last night.

• Actually not as silly as it sounds, strikers get free kicks and bookings against them for dives all the time, why is a keeper special. it's equivalent with a forward going away from goal and checking their run so as to try and fall over an outstretched leg.

If any other player had been on a run forward and Cosgrove had approached them at that speed they move out of the way and protect the ball, there is barely a tiny percentage charge they fall over. Probably good for the game that refs decision if not for us.

• I think we can all agree that if the opposing 'keeper had done what Max did (without the calamitous ball drop) we would be howling for him to be booked for diving, simulation .... lets call it for what it is cheating. I'm totally with the referee on this one, he acted like a twat and deserved to be treated like one.

I don't know how he comes back from this though. He has had a horrid few weeks and has lost the fans following last night. Maybe he's not the kind of 'keeper Matt wants. An extraordinary turn around.

• You may well be right, but I'd be interested to see how they'd bluster their way around us heading towards the bottom 4. I saw that Blooms has something like 38 points from 33 games in charge? It's not looking good.

• edited November 2023

If he fell over from that push, he should get down to the doctors as soon as possible because he must have an inner ear infection causing awful balance issues.

This is a contact sport. That was a dive.

• Interesting Bloomfield stills feels we can achieve something with this group of players this season. Not sure too many people this morning would share his optimism. Especially after the dross we have witnessed in the last few games.

• It’s not been a ‘put your hands on the goalkeeper’ contact sport for 40 years though?

I agree Max is over dramatic in response (and there’s no way he should be dropping the ball) but even a soft push on a goalkeeper is always given as a foul.

• Calls for Max to 'never play for Wycombe again' are preposterous. The gamesmanship has been evident in our play for almost a decade, so it's the culture, but Max has just done it badly.

The real worry about the goal is that these things are signs of a team in trouble, who have lost confidence in how to do basic things.

• It's really bleak at the moment. I've made a third of the games this season and only seen two displays with any real cohesive enjoyable football. Charlton and Peterborough, 1 point.

Maybe I've been unlucky but it doesn't seem so. It's already been discussed but football like this will not encourage the floating fans back if even the regulars are struggling. Even in games we have won I've left uninspired and without the spring in my step than under an Ainsworth performance. If I compare last night to Rotherham away a couple of years back where we put together a rearguard, shut-out performance there was entertainment value to it, as we lived dangerously but at least tried to counter quickly. Now it's slow and laboured, or if we try to release it quick over the top it's straight out for a goal kick/throw in.

I want Blooms to succeed but he needs to start making changes based on what we can do, rather than encourage passages of plays we can't/leave us vulnerable

• What's been forgotten in all this is the reason Max had possession from that uncontested drop ball was that he had spent the previous minute or so pretending to be injured.

I was pretty angry last night, and I'm still pretty annoyed this morning, but call me an old softie if you like but I do hope Max is ok. He must be feeling pretty shitty about the whole thing, and he's always come across as a decent bloke. Hopefully he's getting the support he needs from his teammates to put it behind him.

It would be nice to think that this is the incident that draws the line under the gamesmanship we've employed for years now. Enough is enough, let's stop doing that eh?

• There were some slightly over the top posts in the heat of the moment weren't there, blooming heck.

Someone labelled him "brain dead", others wanted to attack him, others wanted him banished etc.

Roll on the weekend.

• The really frustrating thing is it looked like we'd pushed on out of the bleak looking times, and there were signs we were onto something.

But the last few games have gone backwards in every way.

• He should be sent to the Hellfire Caves and left there until the New Year to ponder his actions

• As much as Max was at fault last night, I don't doubt he will be a superb keeper for us again in the future.

• There setting up a Santa's Grotto at the Caves next week and I think the're looking for a Father Christmas!

• edited November 2023

My takes from all this are

a) stick with Blooms & give him at least till the end of the seasosn at minimum to develop his style & ideas - after all he & his coaching team seem to be well respected amongst their peers & are nothing if not calm & thoughtful

b) the injuries to key players are really hurting us & hindering the development of Blooms style etc.

c ) Max needs to be dropped for at least 1 game, BUT needs an arm putting round him too

d) Breckin has stepped up & looked good last night until subbed off late on - players develop at different rates & he clearly needed time to bulk up a bit & understand his role in the team

e) Pattenden may well have been our 4th choice RWB but he has grasped his opportunity & leapt up the pecking order & match by match his defensive positioning & tackling have improved & he at least treis to push forward to support his wide player & ping crosses in.

f) I think the problems with our back 5 is caused by the issues we have had pretty much all season with the use of ponderously slow centre backs (yes I am looking at JJ, Taf & Keogh) making our WBs sit back to provide cover, rather than pushing forward to initiate or support attacks.

g) The team lacks confidence at the moment but a couple of wins & I am sure we will see them bounce back