Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Barnsley

Comments

• @blue67 I think you have missed the point. Max will take harder knocks when collecting a cross and then bumps into a player while trying to release the ball quickly. Do keepers get a freekick when that happens? No! The fact that Max invited the contact with the player, feel over like a child and then flapped his arms twice in protest before conceding defeat tells you that from his body language knows it messed up.

• I thought the ref was absolutely brilliant last night, even outside of Max. The Phillips yellow was a situation where a more impressionable ref might have given a red, given the faux horror stricken baying of the home crowd and management, but he calmed it down and issued the reasonable yellow. I never thought he let the game get out of control, even when he was letting those little 50-50s go. I would have him every week compared to some we have had!

As far as Max's punishment, I suppose it would be inappropriate for our management to be too severe when this behaviour has been generally trained into Wycombe players. I can only join @eric_plant in hoping this might draw a line under the gamesmanship. I am fine with breaking up a game by kicking the ball out for throw-ins every twenty seconds or winning legitimate free kicks, but I have always hated the fake injuries and true gamesmanship, and those opposition fans having a laugh at it happening to a deserving club are at least a little bit correct. With how we played the 90 last night, I had every confidence we could last the seven minutes of injury time without rolling around trying to add more. Let's start betting on ourselves to see out a game of football!

• I think we signed him on the back of a decent loan period with Burton rather than a rah rah rah signing from that Premier League, didn't we?

• Couldn't agree more with this. Our reputation for playacting makes me embarrassed to tell people I'm a Wycombe fan.

• I have seen lots of Goalkeepers do the stand with ball at feet forcing opposition forward to run in and then pick it up just in time trick.

Lets not beat ourselves up claiming that this was somehow unique to us. its not.

• I see the pearl clutching continues unabated.

It won’t be long before we’ll see a perfectly good goal disallowed with an oppo keeper screaming in agony as a piece of fabric brushes his cheek.

They all do it. Referees nearly always give the free kick. I wish that it wasn’t a thing but it is.

Max just executed his attempt spectacularly badly.

• I’m so outraged I may rip up my season ticket in disgust, once I’m through the turnstile for the Charlton home game.

• My toys are still in the pram, my pearls unclutched, but time-wasting, foul, free-kick, pen or not...twatting about like that deserved to result in a goal!

• We didn't 'defy all the stats' - we had one of the best defensive records in the league that season.

• Barnsley have helpfully put up several angles of the goal on their twitter feed. The contact is minimal. Cosgrove doesn't delay waiting for the goal to be disallowed he stands there to mock (rightfully) Max. It's a goal all day long. You can try and deflect as much blame as you want but there is only one player responsible. It is such a moment of pure stupidity that it still requires repeat watching to realise what has happened. I hope this nonsense stops across all football.

• Those angles make it look more like a foul but then they aren't posting them to prove innocence, they are having a good old laugh. All entirely avoidable.

• (sorry, I replaced the link with a better one)

• The way the ball flies out of his hands when he hits the ground makes me hope he hasn't done a Redknapp and opened a bank account in one of his dogs names.

• edited November 2023

As I said before, if it was a foul, our entire fan base would be apoplectic. As it is, I would guess about 80% blame Max.

• I also hope this an end to all the play acting and gamesmanship we do, but I won't hold my breath !

I hate it, always have done and always will, there's absolutely no need... the time just gets added on anyway ! Social media was awash with opposition fans last night and today mocking us, saying stuff like serves Wycombe right for the way they've Played and acted for the last however many years.

What's wrong with trying to play the right way and be a team to be admired and liked ?

• By the same token, we have played the 'right way' many times...but still been accused of the dark arts.

If it ends gamesmanship across the Leagues I'm with you...but it won't and we are not the only criminals...

• On the flip side, Barnsley fans were complimentary of us fans on their forum - this thread got posted and a couple of them were amazed how fair we are as a fan base. Ironically there were some Barnsley fans arguing it was a foul!

• I hope Max is off social media. He is a global laughing stock. That clip is everywhere.

• Couldn't agree more. It was so painful that playoff final against Southend, when instead of going for a goal to seal it we messed about with it and it bit us on the bum. IMHO the best way to waste time is to attack and win throw ins/corners in the opponents half...and you never know you might even do the unthinkable and put the game out of reach by.... scoring a goal!

• I have to agree @YorkshireBlue the idea you don't try to score when you're in the other half, in case they get the ball back off you, is very frustrating. I hate all that messing about in the corners. Game management should include trying to win at all times.

I accept that the above view is probably why I am not a football manager.

• And finally.....proof that our football is the best in the world.....

• edited November 2023

It's 100% his fault for the goal. That is utterly undeniable.

He just had to pick it up and boot it.

But generally for anyone who has watched football for any length of time, it's very very unusual to see someone allowed to touch the keeper and not be blown up.

For a foul before one of the thread scofflaws like micra make a funny.

• I agree - I expected the ref to blow up just because of how goalies are overprotected. But I have to say, had I watched that as a neutral I would have been delighted, as only one player violated the spirit of the game (to me), and it was not the Barnsley striker.

• The last sentence hits the nail on the head - gamesmanship comes from a position of not having confidence in yourself to win a football match.

• I’m sure the debate will go on and the differing views have made interesting reading. What is refreshing is that (with the exception of a couple of posters who would mock me if I said today is Wednesday) we have been able to express our opinions in a civilised manner. We move on.

• I agree with you generally apart from:

When the opposition is Plymouth, the manager is Derek Adams and the player protecting the ball in the corner is Bayo.

Comedy gold. (As opposed to last night’s comedy lead).

• The angle from Barnsley has made it look more of a foul than it first seemed. You can see Cosgrove put two hands on him and shove, then it appears Max trips over his own feet, which is why the fact he's fallen backwards when leaning forwards seems so incongruous

• It wasn’t a foul.

He was messing around and then dropped an absolute clanger.

I hope he’s dropped.