Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Barnsley

Comments

• Unbelievably, there’s a ‘once in a lifetime’ opportunity to bid for Max’s shirt here:

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2023/november/28/bid-for-chairboys--shirts-from-barnsley-match/

• Eh?

it’s either a foul or it’s not. By his own admission he’s needlessly let go of the ball.

• Another inept display, irrelevant of the goal we looked poor and unlikely to score.

Bloomfield has now had 33 games to bed in but we seem to be getting worse, not better. In the League I can only think of 2/3 decent performances in those games and we have only picked up 38 points.

The entertainment value of watching us at the moment is zero and has been for some weeks.

I hate to say it but unless we see a major improvement by January he needs to step aside and Ainsworth/Dobson reinstated if they are still available.

• When a poster who is not exactly Max’s biggest fan says it was a foul I think that says a lot. However, I have to agree with the criticisms of Max for doing what he did and his form has certainly dropped off in recent weeks.

• edited November 2023

I struggle to see how anyone would want GA back when he would coach the exact kind of behaviour that bit us tonight! Love the man, but I would love to get away from the "dark arts" nonsense even more. The only thing that has ever embarrassed me about our club is the celebration (by some) of snidey, theatrical behaviour.

• Thanks @Twizz Ive just settled down to watch the PSG match and would rather not have known that !! Just jesting.

I’ve had 90 minutes cooling off after losing my temper with mrs micra for laughing at my effing and blinding over the fiasco at Oakwell.

• Because he’s the most successful manager in our history.

Matt should be given an extended chance though, we’ve had worse runs under GA and turned it around.

• Just got back from game. An astonishingly bad referee from start to finish. Seemed to want the game to be all about him. Having a chat with players when down - not calling on the trainer but not adding on time. Stopping the game for a player down off the pitch behind his goal - none of these head injuries. Don’t get me started on the foul throw debacle and then the foul on Max at the end. Yes he went down easily and spilled the ball but the striker had no business making contact with the keeper when he has the ball in his hands in that position - this is not the 50’s. Shocking

The game was poor, we didn’t deserve to win but I don’t want it meddled with and ultimately decided by some egotist.

Rant over - I’m off to bed.

• Max is suspended for Saturday anyway - 5 yellows, which is another problem

• edited November 2023

• GA, for better or worse, would often roll the dice with his formations and try something different if things weren’t clicking.

The odd inverse trapezium to freshen things up would often shift the momentum of our results.

This current system is horrible to watch and it’s not really creating anything. It’s all the more frustrating as League One is pretty weak this season.

• Never a foul. We would have rightly slaughtered an opposition keeper for doing the same at AP. Reminded me of Rocky's antics but to be fair he started time wasting after ten minutes. I am seriously worried at a lack of leadership on and off the field. Josh is by far our best player but no leader. Keogh is probably our best general but way past his prime and there is a distinct lack of personality to the rest. Except Phillips who I enjoy watching, but fear will spontaneously combust. And most importantly, no strategy and game plan from Bloomfield. It has been mainly a dismal watch and I am dreading all the home games coming up. Which obviously I will go to because I promised God in 1976. Conclusion to all this pessimism? An amazing FA Cup run..

• edited November 2023

My team for next league game, assuming no injured players back and that we are not budging from back five:

Ravazolli

Pattenden

Low

Forino

Tafazolli

Wheeler

Scowen

Breckin

Sadlier

Phillips

L.Taylor

• edited November 2023

It took him a long time to ingrain his own culture, but only about half of the remaining players are his (and many of his are the injured ones), so he would be starting again to a degree. I am not sure if the likes of Leahy, Low, Potts and Taylor are going to instantly buy into his system because some of the longer serving players enjoyed playing under him.

Also, the stirring comebacks and never say die attitude walked out the door with Bayo, unfortunately. We have not had a second half comeback to win in two years, and hardly ever score late goals any more either.

• Who’s your left wingback @Shev ?

• edited November 2023

I wonder how long into a second Ainsworth reign he'd become the hairy biker again and people start saying that at least we tried to play football under Blooms? Half time at a push.

Night all, maybe it was all a bad dream and tomorrow will be full of unicorns and Soviet billionaires.

• Unfortunately Pattenden or Wheels would have to play in an unnatural spot, unless JJ is fit (which I can't figure out, as he came back briefly but I don't think has made a squad since).

• Very true. I want us to keep the faith with Blooms unless genuinely relegation threatened. I look at how Arsenal stuck with Arteta through a lost season, knowing he had something, and I think Blooms is that for us. He has had dreadful luck, but we had a sustained period of what I found to be a delightful, effective form of football.

• edited November 2023

Oh, one was in the cup. Still pretty bad!

• Ah thanks - in that case, JJ instead of Jasper, and Wheels on the right.

• edited November 2023

Another game where the opposition keeper has very little to do, this formation doesn't work. Cant see where our next league win will come. Hopefully Bloomfield will stop being stubborn and adopt a new formation

• edited November 2023

Hope Max is OK. Something is clearly very different to last season when he was quite fantastic and was being quietly mentioned alongside some of our goalkeeping greats - distribution fanatics aside.

Yet here we are. A squad impacted by injuries, struggling for consistency, often failing to grasp the playing style for which it was assembled and yet instead of being backed up by a previously solid keeper is instead seemingly undermined by a player intent on finding ways to concede goals that were unthinkable last season under either manager. All very odd.

• When @davecz is worried about the qualities of a Wycombe manager you know things are bad.

• Now that my fingers have thawed out…

Walking back in to town amidst Barnsley supporters there seemed to be general disbelief that a) out keeper had been that stupid and b) that the referee hadn’t given a free kick. (I personally don’t think it was a foul but think that 49 times out of 50 it would be given as such).

But, as one person said (give or take) that wasn’t a game that would have lived in the memory for very long but now they’d remember that “idiot f&@£ing keeper” for ever.

i thought we played a little better than we did against Reading but apart from a decent passing move after around 10 minutes I really can’t think of any times we looked like having any control of the football going forwards.

Barnsley built up a decent head of steam halfway through the second half when a goal looked inevitable, but that had pretty much subsided by 90 minutes and a 0-0 looked inevitable, which is all the more galling.

• It is funny how Ryan Allsop is our least heralded recent keeper, but I can't remember him ever letting us down with massive howlers, and he is now plying his trade at a club in the Championship playoff places.

I have loved most of the Stocky and Max eras, but on days like today I long for a dependable, phlegmatic keeper like Rocky.

• On a positive note, I do think today showed that the system looks much better defensively with a half decent 8 like Breckin in there (let alone Potts). The concern for me is more the utter lack of ability to manufacture dangerous chances.

• Very measured indeed.

He must have been utterly fuming to see the hard work go up in smoke so pointlessly.