Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Stevenage

Comments

• Can't say I'd feel any more charitable towards Evans if I heard the full interview. It's not just his comments, his celebrations post match with the fans I thought was in poor taste. I don't think that under the circumstances, it's asking too much to perhaps tone things down a little, rather than going into full Jurgen Klopp mode.

• It does feel surprising that there is almost no mention of the very serious incident particularly in respect of Luke Leahy on Stevenage’s social media. A simple acknowledgement of the incident and wishing Luke a full recovery is surely the minimum requirement. Classless.

• Classy and dignified interview with our manager after yesterday’s game. The behaviour and attitude of players and fans can be affected by how the management team conduct themselves. We have Matt Bloomfield and Richard Thomas, Stevenage have Steve Evans and Paul Raynor. Draw your own conclusions.

• edited November 2023

Not going to talk about the game. The only thing that matters is that Luke is being looked after and gets home to his family. We've got plenty of other games to try to win this season. And best wishes to Brandon as well, the poor bloke was clearly in an awful lot of pain and that's never nice to see.

As for their fans, I can only echo what other people have already said. What sort of person do you have to be to carry on like that when there is clearly a very serious situation going on right in front of you? Just really depressing, dismal stuff.

I've rarely sensed such anger in Wycombe fans collectively as we left the ground and I have to say the police did a really good job down Hillbottom Rd intervening in a number of flashpoints where it looked like it was going to go off.

All in all, a horrible day. We're thankful Luke's ok and we just try to forget about

(whilst definitely making plans to go to the reverse fixture. That is going to be very lively indeed)

• A little thought experiment:

At the end of the season would you rather have MB in place as manager and a lower mid-table final position

or

would you rather have us promoted to the Championship with someone like Steve Evans or Joey Barton as our manager?

• And as an aside is @trevor okay? I would have expected to see them contributing considerably to the debate around yesterday.

• Almost forgotten in all the goings-on of that strange match was the 5 minutes of treatment for Taff right at the start. Was that a ‘welcome to the game’ arm, or a pure accident, or some strange off the ball problem? Whatever it was, he seemed to carry on ok.

• As a further aside. Anyone know what Bayo is up to at the moment? Does he have the odd free Saturday afternoon. to stand around in the middle* of a field in leafy Bucks?

*Strictly speaking in the middle of two different halves of a field

• I want our club to succeed as fervently as any other fan, but not at any price. There are not many things that would keep me from supporting Wycombe but you have mentioned two of them.

• I would like to think that the vast majority will agree with you. The thought of the latter makes me shudder

• I can only agree with all of the previous comments. Added on top of all of that was some sort of cross between a rattle and a stick across a xylophone being piped into the speaker above us in the Frank Adams stand! Turned out to be something akin to Chinese water torture! Then, apparently, the toilet paper run out!

All in all, certainly one of the worst days at Adams Park ever!

• You could spice the question up by making it Relegated with Bloomfield or promoted with Barton?

• Yesterday's matchday experience will live long in our memories for many differing reasons. A few moments of note for me - firstly, during the minute silence the supporters who were still on the walkway in front on the family stand all halted, respectfully, to remember. However, I couldn't help but notice one guy there who wasn't going to let those 60 seconds stop him from gorging on his burger. Sorry, but it did tickle me. Secondly, the Stevenage left full back was fouled early on by Wheeler. He was clearly, apparently, nursing a heavy blow to his arm. Half a minute later the opposition were launching a long throw into our box by, yes, their left back. Finally, and my most significant memory was about the Leahy incident. It was incredibly worrying, but the way Keogh came over to Luke's wife to calmly reassure her, and probably us, was a reminder that the guys are genuinely caring individuals who, despite being "footballers", are decent people who know what are the really important things in this world.

• Stevenage fans still disgracing themselves on social media. A truly detestable club.

• I found yesterday’s ‘game of football’ disturbing and gut wrenching, my deepest thoughts are with Brandon, Luke and their families.

I respect that the club has become fairly secretive in recent times regarding injuries, presumably so the opposition are unsure of selection. In this case I do hope that a statement can be released as soon as is appropriate to hopefully ease many fans worries.

Yesterday was a day to be incredibly proud of our club in the way it conducts itself. I wonder how many true Stevenage supporters feel the same this morning.

• It's Plymouth fans and Alex Lynch all over again, but worse.

• After yesterdays display from their peasants ( fans ) maybe Stevenage will be the new Col U.

• The Alex Lynch incident was indeed a shameful incident although of a very different nature to a player lying unconscious on the pitch.

To be fair to Plymouth supporters, the vast majority of them behaved impeccably during TJ’s very concerning episode last season.

• I think he's moved on to support Reading! Plenty to keep him busy on his keyboard there.

• I’m sorry but if was nothing like that. The way Leahy fell prone and the panic to get the medical staff on, as well as the way the players forming a shield around him was one of the most worrying things I’ve ever seen live on a football pitch. It truly felt (at least from the Valley end) that it might have been a life threatening situation, and the way the Stevenage fans acted was despicable. For me the worse thing was the fact that not 1 of their fans clapped Leahy off the field when he was carried on a stretcher right in front of them directly outside to an ambulance. It was NOT a minority of fans, it was the whole lot of them. Absolute scum of ‘humanity’.

Just so glad Luke is ok. All the best to him and Brandon.

• Thanks @glasshalffull, that sums it up perfectly. The worst match I have been to in nearly 60 years of going to games. I have never heard Blooms so upset and angry, in the club and 3CR interviews from yesterday.

• Prior to yesterday I didn’t really think about Stevenage fc and their “supporters ” apart from them having a playing reputation for being physical but my eyes have been opened! what a vile club from top to bottom.

• Catching up with this thread as I couldn't watch yesterday. It's difficult to think any less of Evans. We've all seen overly physical games but the only time that comes to mind where I've walked out of AP thinking we've had more of a mugging than a loss was against his Mansfield team a few years back. It's good to be proud of your club, they can't have that, and it's pretty clear from his history that even if they have some small success he'll either ditch them for more money or get sacked when the atmosphere turns sour, and it will when you don't really care about or have any respect for any of the people involved.

I wish all the best for the two injured players and their families having to watch that. If results take a dive with so many out then that has to be expected really and is secondary to their recovery.

Maybe we can get one or two out of contract players in on short term deals with a view to making some decisions in January. I'm not sure how realistic it is for others to step up when they are clearly 2nd choice or lower but they will certainly get chances in coming weeks.

Scoring goals is going to be a big challenge, not being playing well and creating chances obviously limits that, Phillips and Taylor are both good players though and we'll need to sharpen up at the back too.

• Any decent club would have condemned their fans by now. Some of the stuff I'm reading online is nothing short of disgusting.

• Actually heard a chant of ‘let him die’ on Hillbottom road after the game. Unbelievable

• Feels like the UK is heading back to the 70's. Not the 'We played outside all day on our spacehoppers' bollocks that you see on Facebook but the scary 70's when football had a mean streak.

• I know it can't be done, but I would bar all Stevenage supporters from Adams Park next season. We would lose money, but at least our match stewards wouldn't have to deal with this obnoxious scum.