Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Stevenage

Comments

• edited November 2023

Tom from what I could see on the replay it was a clash of heads with one of our own players, with Luke looking like he was unconcious & possibly swallowed his tongue (I assume the latter from the speedy reaction of Keogh to Leahy being prone & face down).

The Max incident immediately afterwards was as much the fault of the Stevenage player trying to step across Max who had the ball & Max trying to get to Luke to see what was wrong, perhaps Max did slightly kick out at him but given what was happening just in front of him I find it hard to blame him for his reaction.

• Stevenage are the new Luton aren’t they? Thoroughly unpleasant opponents who always beat us.

• I won't post what I think of Stevenage's management and fans, nor the officials on here otherwise I'll get a ban.

• Also, if there was ever a season to break the bank signing The Striker Who Will Guarantee Promotion, it’s now.

• 2 brain cells between them in the away end today. Keogh had to reassure Leahy's wife that he was okay while they were more interested in baying for a red. A disgusting bunch. Horrible thing to witness and hope Luke (and Brandon) are okay.

• Hanlan and Leahy both taken to hospital. Bloody hell.

• A dreadful day. A dreadful performance. No player worthy of a 5 or above. GMac a 3. You can blame the ref as much as you want but we had zero intensity and about the same skill.

A confusing selection and a confusing set of subs in the second half. No shots on target this month ?

• They bullied us and the ref let them do it, yes. However, we had 0 shots on target.

Our pattern of play was so predictable - normally Keogh would wander with it for 20 yards, as midfielders ran away from any good passing line, before playing it wide and long. If we managed to control it, our wing backs immediately had 2 or 3 men on them.

We could've played for another 120 mins and not had any idea how to score.

• Not sure today could have gone any worse, genuinely.

• They’re a great side for their budget. They’ll easily finish top 8. As I predicted at half time, we had no chance of breaking down their low block without Potts. Never looked like scoring.

• Club report Luke conscious in hospital

• Yes, our performance was dreadful, but the main thing is hopefully Luke and Brandon are okay

• edited November 2023

A game that is best put behind us. A poor referee that didn’t protect the players and the Stevenage fans were a disgrace .

My thoughts are with the injured players.

• Phillips didn't wear a black balaclava during the minute's silence. Apart from that it was a total shitshow.

• Suddenly glad for the interlull. Losing Leahy is a disaster and with Vokes already out, Hanlan is too. Boyes is decent, but not at Leahy's level, and though De Barr has his moments, he has not convinced me yet. Perhaps the silver lining is that TJay will get a run in the side to show once and for all what we have.

• Hanlan’s injury was right in front of me.

He was tussling as the ball arrived in his usual way but grabbed the no. 5’s shirt as he was doing so. The guy then grabbed a shirt full of Brandon and rolled him over. Unfortunately Brandon had his foot planted so his knee twisted horribly and he just dropped to the floor.

He had a good 5 minutes of oxygen and barely moved the whole time he was down.

As someone who’s done his ACL and PCL, it looked horribly familiar.

In my opinion it was a foul to Stevenage but a yellow for their no. 5 for endangering Hanlan with his retaliation.

• All I am going to say about that game is I am glad it is over and my best wishes to Brandon and Luke. Evans claimed Taff and Keogh told him Max should have had a red. I hope not as I saw their player going in first.

• Bloomfield has described himself as disgusted by what he witnessed this afternoon. Given how level headed he is thats pretty strong language.

And rightly so.

• We were hopeless. The refreee a pathetic individual who never once got control of the game. Stevenage were predictably well drilled and dirty.

The behaviour of their supporters was grim. Scum is the only word that fits. I don’t expect much from football supporters but a bit of respect when serious medical attention is being administered is surely not beyond us, is it?

I only wish they’d done it at a club like Leeds or Derby where a good few of them would’ve needed a stretcher too.

• Fans love to brandish something as the best or the worst ever, but that has to be close to one of the all time worst match going experiences.

Dreadful low quality game, Stevenage remarkably physical, dirty and cynical, not quite Westley but the nearest thing since.

Then the more serious stuff with 2 bad injuries.

Hanlan looked to be a mixture of what that Italian defender did to Saka with the pull back, mixed with a wrestling style slam dunk.

Thoughts of the ref can't have missed this, turned to, he's amazingly given it the other way.

Hard to tell whether the injury is shoulder related from the impact to the floor, or knee or leg related.

Leahy's even worse looking, face down for ages, and you always fear the worst when players are animatedly beckoning medical staff on.

We've all encountered some scumbag Stevenage types before, so probably no surprise they were trying to build up a trivial incident with Max into a red, when it didn't matter at all at that point in time.

Ref seemed a bit hapless, wonder if it's first season. Spent ages getting it going again, and surely weren't expecting Steve Evans at 90mins on the clock to say abandon it?!

• edited November 2023

On a football note, quite worried at the prospect of Taylor and De Barr as our only fit striker options.

No idea if we can get a loanee in?

But that's for another day, hope the news is as good as it can be on Luke and Brandon

• Matt Bloomfield after today's events: "Both boys are in hospital. Brands has a knee injury, Lukey was responsive by the time he reached the ambulance but there was a really worrying time on the pitch. It was tough for our players to deal with."

(From the club X feed)

• Bloomfield with some interesting quotes

"I've heard we were accused of trying to get the game called off". That's not the case. I'm disgusted by what I've witnessed this afternoon".

• Never has the chant SCUM been more deserved towards the cretinous support from Stevenage. Not a scintilla of respect for our unconscious and obviously seriously injured player. And the referee….quite the worst ever performance I’ve seen at Adams Park.

• Bloomfield confirming a knee injury for Hanlan and Leahy responsive by the time he reached the ambulance.