Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Stevenage

Comments

• The Stevenage fans were chanting "off off off" repeatedly whilst Leahy was quite clearly receiving treatment for a very serious situation. Ok, probably it was aimed at Max for a nothing shove on a player who was fouling him, but it was completely inappropriate. There was also a few ironic cheers when Leahy was placed on the stretcher. Just generally a complete lack of empathy with what was going on in front of them.

With a manager like Evans setting the tone, I guess it's hardly surprising. He said he'd be messaging Bloomfield later to ask how Leahy was. I think he may be waiting a while for a reply given his post match comments.

• Stevenage fans online with variations of "here comes the salt from Wycombe fans." How genuinely incapable of rational thought and emotion does one have to be to not realize we would have gladly accepted a 7-0 if it meant our human player was okay?

• results are temporary,class is permanent.

• Great post @glasshalffull - and despite the lacklustre display on the pitch, I think we can all be proud of how our manager and squad behaved during an extremely pressurized and traumatizing sequence of events surrounding the Leahy injury.

• I hope we absolutely spank them at their shitty little ground in the return fixture.

• I don’t usually swear, I hate swearing it goes against everything I stand for.

What a fucking twat.

• edited November 2023

i wasn’t at the game today but was at Plymouth when TJ had his scare. Does feel like a chalk and cheese difference between how Plymouth reacted to a scary incident and how Stevenage have. I like to think in similar circumstances our players officials and supporters would act like Plymouth (in the vast majority) did that night.

• All I can say is I would be happy for Derby and Bristol Rovers to bear Stevenage at this point.

• Very well put @glasshalffull

In defence of our own performance, most players will tell you it’s a lot harder to concentrate on the job at hand when your teammate is off to hospital. Must have been especially hard when the ref was completely ignoring assaults.

I may be wrong, but I thought Luke also got stamped on just after the thing he got booked for.

• edited November 2023

Also there’s nothing wrong with swearing in the right places. It adds emphasis particularly in the written form where emotion and feeling need to be expressed in different ways.

For example, he’s not just a twat, but a fucking twat.

• I’ll take a punt at an acl for Brandon. His knee was locked in the turf and the defender the barges him and throws him down. Classic acl action.

• If it is an ACL, that's his season done. Bummer.

• edited November 2023

I remember someone once describing Steve Evans as 'part-time football manager, full-time fat shit'. It still checks out.

• He’s definitely a prick, but not sure what his weight has got to do with anything.

• I think you'll find 'part time manager full-time bariatric shit' is the correct terminology these days.

• Steve Evans had to end his career at the age of 24 because of a knee injury. Ironic plot twist there.

• Might as well get Mellor back from his loan. Seems pointless him being at Sutton or is he injured as well.

• Doesn't do any harm to listen to Evans' full interview before passing judgement. I think he comes across reasonably well and his comments are pretty fair. Taken out of context, it is easy to make a one line quote sound worse than it really is.

• Doesn't change the fact he should be nowhere professional football

• And in any context, calling it "a head knock" is horribly trivialising. The bloke's a knob.

• Horrible afternoon. We weren’t great first half, out muscled and disorganised, not helped by an official who had the authority and command of a jellyfish, but after Brandon went off with an injury that was clearly very serious, I’m not surprised we failed to adjust to the Stevenage game plan. The fantastic culture we have at our club means our players respect and care about each-other. How hard must it be to put out of your mind the knowledge that your friend and colleague Brandon’s injury might be season or career ending?

Follow that with Luke’s and the result is irrelevant. Credit to our players and management for supporting Luke on the pitch. How sad that they felt they had to shield him in that way.

What was going on with the “referee” and the players after Luke was taken off was bewildering. Maybe we asked if we could concede at 1-0 and the ref of Stevenage wanted a 3-0 agreement or something or maybe the ref was trying to get all parties to play nice?

The only thing that matters from this game is to hear that Brandon and Luke will be making full recoveries.

• I disagree. He’s being deliberately passive aggressive in his comments. It’s quite obvious that he WON’T be the first one on the phone to see how Luke is getting on. He’s not exactly good old caring Uncle Steve - as someone else said earlier, he’s managed to both accuse our club of trying to call the game off, and ridicule us in the process. And As Bloomfield said, this is a false, and disgusting allegation.

• You can’t recall players on loan outside to transfer window

• Plus the little issue of already having our quota of strikers who are unable to score goals.

I remember with fondness Taylor saying he was here to score goals. So glad he’s changed that mission statement to ‘I’m here to make aimless runs and never get close to having a shot’.

Im glad we have a week off. We need it as fans as that display and that whole game is one I need to forget.