Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Bolton

Comments

• Story of our season - a team in transition. Good in parts but gifted four yes four goals

• Who did this? 😂

• 4 poor goals to concede , Keogh shouldn't be a starter, Scowen shouldnt of been subbed

• I thought Scowen was off the pace all game.

• A missed opportunity given other results tonight, but as others have said a transition season where we are seeing really positive signs in spells

• Brought down to earth with a bang. Couldn’t wait to shut down the laptop.

Shattered dream in need of quick fix.

• Game of three halves in the end.

I'm offski chaps - good luck in your games until we see you at the Toughsheet/Unibol/Macron/Reebok.

• Thanks @wanderlust . Just now it feels like we’ll need a lot more than luck. But we’ll go again, as they say.

mrs micra says it’s only a game. Wise words??!

• I think the only concern is that with so many key loanees (and more contracts expiring), next season could be a transition too. I still think we have enough to achieve, but we have to cut out the massive errors. That was three very winnable points.

• For what it's worth, I think Blooms continues to do a fantastic job. I think that display tonight was on errors rather than anything else. Yes, they countered us well in the first half, but he clearly lit a fire for the second, and must be pulling his hair out at the players being so determined to hand over the gift basket.

• The individual errors in the last ten are very hard to take. It’s a shame for Keogh who’s been much more solid than I was anticipating recently.

The games with Charlton, Peterborough, Portsmouth and tonight show we’re capable of matching the top teams in the league, but still a step or two short when it matters.

• Agree Shev, though I do think Blooms is getting a clearer idea of who his best 11 are, therefore who he would want to offer contracts to; where he needs to strengthen which includes replacing the loanees (which especially in the case of Potts will be really tough).

• This is what you get when you sign a 38 year old who hasn’t played football in two years though. Said it in summer. Saying it again. Bizarre signing. Tafazolli in the middle of the back three would never give up goals like that.

• Keogh and Stryjek had a nightmare.

Quite impressive to turn that game around. Although that only makes the defeat harder to swallow.

• Still can’t believe the amount of hoofball in the first half.

• To be fair to Max the first goal was his fault but once he had given his head a good wobble he was ok for the rest of the game

• He played 16 times last season for a side that got promotion. And Taffs been awful when he's played recently. Other than that you probably aren't far off.

• I think we could equally complain that Wycombes two goals were soft goals from a defensive point of view despite how well leahy hit it. We had more than enough men to block his effort and the second one we were very slow to respond and you poked it in. All in all there were good and not so good points for both teams but in the end without trying to be biased I think the better team(just) won. Certainly for 20 minutes in the second half you really had us on the rack and the equaliser you could see coming. Strangely we just seemed to have ridden it out when you scored and I actually expected you to go on and win it but we suddenly got a second wind and Toal reacted first to a good whipped in corner and after that I think we just got stronger again. Good game, bit scrappy at times but good entertainment so good luck to you for the rest of the season and look forward to meeting you again at the Reebok in the return. 👍

• edited October 2023

I think the way they set up with a very low block wasnt what we were expecting and forced us to resort to hoof ball for too much of the first half, especially as they seemed a yard faster to the ball than we were, so to many of our passes were being cut out. Second half we looked much sharper and faster & pressed them much better which is what got us back in the game. If only we hadn't lost concentration straight after our second...

• Check how many minutes he played in the league then come back to me

• Cheers @FarmerCee - still processing the gut punch, but good luck to you also, and you and @wanderlust are always welcome back on here!

• Agree with pretty much all of that. It's a shame you didn't really get to see us at our best, we didn't turn up in the first half - if we had I think it would have been a much closer game. Great entertainment in the second half though, I thought Bolton looked pretty decent - I think Peterborough and Portsmouth were both better, but on that showing Bolton should be well in contention at the end of the season.

• If it's more than zero (it is) then you are wrong but thanks for the offer.

He's clearly past his best, question is whether he can fill in when needed or not, looking less likely. Taff needs to stay fit and he'll play.

More worried about our wide range of non scoring strikers tbh.

• Did you stop watching at 1-0? He had a stinker on the second too.

• A game of 2 halves. Feel like we should have been more aggressive in the 1st half like we were in the 2nd. Don’t think Bolton are as good as last season. Should have started Taffazoli he was probably our best player against Stevenage and done well when played this season. Bloomfield is doing a fine job thus far got to feel like the players let him down first half.

• edited October 2023

Really good comeback and I genius corner routine, having brought on two aerial beasts to go with Keogh and Lowe, to then cut the corner back.

But such a disappointing throw away after that.

Keogh was about as embarrassed for pace as it gets for their 4th. Would have to see the challenge again but he did marvellously well to make it look legit and not see red.

• edited October 2023

Phew! Good game bad result. Felt sure we had done enough to secure the point after a fantastic half an hour in the second half. I think with (even an under par) Scowen on the pitch after the equaliser we might have held out. The first goal cost us the first half I think. Max howler. We seemed to go to pieces. Still not sure about Phillips either, but a good save from that Potts shot cost us a probably undeserved equaliser. I thought Bolton looked good on the whole would have been happy with a point. Conceding from a corner with Vokes and Taff on was bizarre. The pen was the icing for BW though I doubt we would have snatched a third. I hope Oxford are on the receiving end of our disappointment from today! Luckily performances count more than points at this stage of the season.

Oh...and great away support considering the distance on a Tuesday night.

• The third he was rooted to the spot and the penalty he got both hands on the ball yet it again squeezed past him. Clearly he wasn't to blame for either of those last two but could've done better for both. Then there was the goal direct from the corner on Saturday. Certainly not his finest week since signing.