Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Bolton

Comments

• edited October 2023

The criticism of Max's performance this week are a bit harsh.

The goal at Peterborough was absolutely not his fault. He is in the correct position for a corner. The ball hits the side net and just sneaks under the cross bar, it is about the most perfect strike you can do. I doubt any keeper in the world would have saved that, unless they were massively out of position in the first instant.

Goal 1 last night - definitely a mistake by Max and the only proper one. Scowen had so much time to track Maghoma but unusually for him just watched him amble along in front of him, well before he took the ball and scored. Football basics - get goal side in defence.

Goal 2 - no way is Max at fault. The scorer took his first touch one yard outside the box. He is in the correct position at this time and he is anticipating the striker cleanly controlling the ball, ready to advance to then smother. The striker takes a heavy first touch but not heavy enough that Max can intervene and the bounce then leaves him in no mans land. He's done nothing wrong.

Goal 3 - Leahy is screaming at a striker to come back and support. 4 Bolton attackers against three Wycombe defenders. Leahy is too late to react to the ball coming in. It's not clear if Keogh was marking the scorer or Leahy. However, clearly our fault as a team and a defender should have been there to block the run or attack the ball first, we did neither.

Goal 4 - complete lack of anticipation to the flick on by Keogh. Should have been more proactive and cut the flick out. Max does nothing wrong with the penalty, gets a good hand but just can't steer it around the post.

Last night highlighted the weaknesses of playing a back 5, 2 in midfield and 3 up front. Far too much space for opposition to run into. Bolton were also very brave. They regularly went keeper plus three defenders against three or four of our players, which is why when they managed to get it through us, they broke us down so easily. I would have gambled more last night, and gone 1:1 at the back to allow our three attackers to sit on the three defenders and then a wing back to squeeze on one side or the other.

Anyway, good comeback, shit first half and last 10. That's football sometimes. Let's just stuff Oxford on Saturday instead.

• It was a really strange game. Bolton comfortably better for a long period where no-one could complain we weren't worth a 2-0 loss.

Then us compfortably better for another long period, one of the best spells of the Bloomfield era arguably.

Then an absolutely unforeseen collapse, the last goal early season woeful levels.

We could do with turning over one of the top teams in the league. We've been quite "nearly" with Portsmouth, Bolton and Peterborough.

• I thought it was the best game of football seen at AP for a long time, both teams playing well. I agree there was an amount of hoof ball, but generally I thought it was directed and aimed at getting players in behind the defence.

Agreed on Max's mistakes, should he be rested?

Impressed with the quality of our play 2nd half. Yes, we are in transition, but we have come a long way ina short period of time.

A lot to be encouraged by.

• Whilst it might not do us any favours on Saturday, Scowen's booking may not be a bad thing. He's hesitated making challenges in the last 2 games that have led to goals, where he'd normally have got stuck straight in. We'll hopefully see him back to his best next Tuesday.

We can put off worrying about his next suspension until he hits 9 yellows!

• Is that in total - ie four more? If so, prepare for a two match suspension before Christmas !!

He’d clearly been holding back for the last couple of games.

• The fourth goal was irrelevant. We were pushing on, it was schoolboy stuff and they took advantage. Totally forgivable. I know rules change weekly but why was that not a red card?

• Would have to see it again, but as Sunday league as Keogh looked in the overall scenario, he did absolutely amazingly to give the impression of a legit challenge!

• Don't think leaving Max out is the answer, as our reserve is very much a development type.

But while I never took @aloysius opinion that he was one of the worst in the league, I always thought a fair few massively overrated him.

He's a solid league 1 keeper and solid league 1 keepers will have howlers every so often.

• @micra Could be wrong, but I believe it's a 2 match suspension for 10 yellows. So he'll be on the edge again when he hits 9.

Agree, he was noticeably holding back in the last couple of games. Still think that booking at Portsmouth was harsh!

• Will we see Breckin on the bench on Saturday? Central midfield is his role and whilst there is little or no chance he will come in for Josh he surely has to be ready for an inclusion in the 18

• edited October 2023

Ref probably felt sorry for him at that point, opposition wouldn't have cared or been asking for it. Game well and truly over.

• Wasn’t a ‘double jeopardy’ rule introduced in the last few years whereby if a penalty is awarded it would only be a yellow unless serious foul play was involved?

• There has to be a genuine attempt to play the ball. I think Keogh got away with one there...

• Apologies if this has already been posted, but we're going viral in the UK, and in the US interestingly as its been picked up by various big accounts there, because of the abject quality of the match day food offering:

• Someone said it looks like a diseased penis 😂😭

• Yours probably wouldn't look too good if it was chopped off!

• Wouldn't you just say 'no thanks' and get a refund? I'd expect a trip to A&E if I ate that.

• As someone who aspires to one day exit the London rat race and open a sandwich shop, I find the economic cycle of selling food at WWFC quite fascinating.

It seems that we switch provider once every 3-4 years. There's usually an immediate improvement in the quality of food, the variety of options, the speed of service, and number of kiosks operating.

And then within 6 months, it degrades back down to a threadbare menu, with lowest quality ingredients like the bread bun in that picture, meat that looks like it will give you immediate arse cancer, served lukewarm, by by a skeleton crew of disinterested, poorly trained 14 year olds bussed in from nearby villages, from a single kiosk with a giant queue of pissed off supporters.

Rinse, repeat. I'm sure its hard to find good staff when the offering is a few hours work down the end of an industrial estate every other Saturday and Tuesday night for near to minimum wage, but its a bit baffling nobody has cracked the secret of operating profitably without eventually resorting to serving complete slop.

• Is Les Merrick still around? He was a sandwich shop impresario

• Anyone remember when you could order on an app and collect with no queue? Except they didn't make it clear which kiosks were doing it so there was a queue anyway and it all fizzled before half time on the first day? World class.

• I’m not saying I did (genuinely) but this system relied on a ton of product being left at the end of the counter unchecked and unguarded to collect. People (and it was not me) just used it as a free buffet whilst genuine punters were left asking ‘where’s my order?’

• It was a disaster as the QR codes displayed in the bar areas, which were meant to send you to order for collection from the outlet in the bar you were situated, got shuffled the first week and after that it was just random where you had to collect your order from.

• I hear we will have Georgia peaches next season, anyway.

• What happened to cajun burgers

• Oh dear, systems like this have been used up and down the country and around the world for decades, you get a number and when your order is ready you go a collection counter and someone checks your receipt. At the risk of sounding very old (and like Ben Elton) it's not rocket science although it might beyond the average Bucks teenager who is prepared to work for the £ on offer