Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Fleetwood

Comments

• Do you consider the opposition? Fleetwood will almost certainly be relegated if you judge by today’s showing.

• Did Vokes play against a different team when he came on?

Feel like I need to point out that my comment about how we’re not going to be able to press high was made when he came on and hadn’t even touched the ball yet - it wasn’t a criticism, it was a prediction. And it came true. People on here are a bit weird about Vokes sometimes, just looking to be offended.

• I think Bayo would have been great with these youngsters.

• Excellent performance, especially in the first half. Full of running and positive intent. Fell away in the second half with a distinct drop in intensity. Difficult to maintain levels when you’re 3 -0 up. Interesting selection problems for next week especially upfront. Personally I’d go for Taylor in front of Vokes.

On a different matter, is it the end for Ainsworth after another home defeat? Just been reading the QPR fans forum, the knives are sharpened and the dog abuse, he’s getting, is at a new level.

• Losing 4-0 at home is always a huge wake up.

To do it against a fellow relegation contender, even worse.

In a climate where a large amount of their fans are already dubious about the appointment, even worse on top.

Hopefully he gets to manage another day for them.

• Excellent performance today, we could've had a load more and it would've been throughly deserved their keeper made some good saves 2nd half tbf. Must admit I'm loving the rotation with all the subs coming on and freshening things up every game, something Gareth didn't really like doing. Have visited the Man of the match thread yet, but plenty to choose from.

• That's only really an issue if Bloomfield wanted them to press isn't it?

• I never said it wasn’t.

• Great performance looked a level or two above them today. Weird feeling going in at half time a little disappointed it was only 3-0.

Again in the 2nd have it could of been more but take that and so many positive performances.

Good little day out with the kids too.

• Great performance against a very poor Fleetwood side.

We bossed every area of the pitch, in particular midfield. As a result we totally controlled the game.

Phillips did a really good job winning the ball back high when they tried to pass through the middle. With Potts and Scowen in the mix as well it seemed as though we had twice as many players as them in midfield at times.

Likewise, having Taylor on the pitch meant we could press slightly higher, which looked a very smart move as Fleetwood really looked flustered at the back.

Could have been more than 4 in all honesty. Keeper appear to be tiny and didn't get near the free kick, which was a decent shot but nowhere near the tip corner.

Next 3 games will be an interesting test. We haven't played many top half sides yet.

• The build up play for the fourth goal was fantastic. The desire to win the ball back, the quick throw, the skill and through ball from Potts and Brands drawing the foul. Also, we continue to move the ball from back to front so quickly and when we have players like Taylor and Potts on the field, we look dangerous from it.

I would imagine we would be towards the top of the ‘back to front timing’ table, if such data exists.

• edited October 2023

Direct speed is the metric you want, and we're 9th. The transition is becoming more and more apparent - under Ainsworth, we were consistently 'top' in that category. https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/08/league-one-stats-2023-24-opta?_gl=1*1r8113f*_ga*MTc2ODQ4ODcyMi4xNjk0MTE3MTU3*_ga_BGFPTYQE1X*MTY5NjcwNzAzOC45LjEuMTY5NjcwNzA0My41NS4wLjA.

• I’m a believer that the name Freddie Potts will eclipse that of Eze as the best player to don a Wycombe shirt.

• @davecz don't worry about Gaz he got dog's abuse on here from some people (who are no doubt revelling in his troubles now) and survived it. Great result today and nice to have the squad of players we have whoever gets on the pitch.

• I do wonder about some people from the reaction to my post saying hope he gets more time there!

• First game of the season, two goals against us and a penalty saved by Max within the first 10 minutes. Lost the next game by three goals. At that point, my wife and I having season tickets, had thoughts of a tough season ahead with loads of pain. Seen a gradual improvement throughout out the season so far, the squad was built with new signings, interesting choices made. Matt, ex Wycombe legend with loads of pressure on his shoulders. Looked at the strikers pre- match today we thought a couple of youngsters with a additional hit or miss striker, doom and gloom descended upon us. End of the day, four goals scored the boys up front did well. Shame we have the weekend off next week. I am not the most optimistic of people however I am in ‘ bring it on mode ‘. Where we are now is way above what I expected. I love supporting a side I can watch live and meet players as opposed to the fans who only support their sides on Sky, Bt Sport wearing a hundred pound replica shirts. Rant over,,,,,,,,

COYB

• Tjay bright in the 30 seconds he got today. Would be nice if Blooms brought him on before the end of the game next time out (next week might be postponed due to internationals maybe?)

• Interesting - so a noticeable difference between ‘hit and hope’ vs a more measured approach of knocking it long at the right time?

Blooms is finding his own style and as he alludes to in his post-match, we’re not the finished article yet. I can’t wait to see where we are at the end of the season.

• I genuinely think we are onto something with Blooms, and am so excited for the journey.

• The most interesting bit on commentary today was that we beat fourteen clubs to the loan signing of Dale Taylor. Blooms has picked up some incredible loan players for us this season.

• I think so - we seem to be striking a decent balance

• That was indeed interesting. Didn't someone on here say that Forest were undecided, so Blooms drove up to Nottingham impromptu, armed with an impressive presentation?

• Sadly I think TJay's days are numbered. Phillips and Taylor both seem better options as it stands. I can see a loan move in January (if not before) and a release at the end of the season. A shame, but he's clearly way down the pecking order.

• I’ve watched Taylor’s first goal a dozen times and I’ve still got no idea how it goes in.

• He's clearly likeable, hard working and a nuisance so I think unless he goes on a scoring run he'll stay until he's a bit older and wants more minutes than they are prepared to give him, Sadlier had 20 minutes today and showed some quality so that probably puts TJ back a bit but if we're going to rotate the front 3 every week we'll need numbers.

• Very much agree. You never know with injuries too (touch wood), and hopefully TJay gets a runout in the EFL Trophy to keep his eye in.

• Things are really coming together.

• Apparently TJ is heading straight to Wrexham (to join up with the Gibraltar squad preparing for their friendly vs Wales). So the suggestion is that he will not be playing in the EFL Cup this week...