Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• Not sure if beating 10 man Cheltenham is that impressive this season

• Most disappointing thing for me tonight was that there were only 277 away fans at Fratton Park in a crowd of 17,450. We’ve always taken 500 or so for a midweek game there & nearer 1,000 for a Saturday game.

Fair play to the fans that went as they made a good noise but just 277? Really? Have people given up on this season? It was a lovely balmy Autumnal evening on the South Coast so no excuses there. And Wycombe’s form has been quite good recently. Not sure what’s going on.

• That’s not a foul on Max and he will wish he punched the ball rather than trying to catch it.

• I disagree. We spent much more time in the Pompey half after he went off.

• The support from the Pompey fans tonight was nothing short of magnificent and was worth a goal in itself. What an effort from our boys and to lose it like that in the dying seconds was a sickener.

• @A_Worboys how much was it for an adult and child, plus mileage there and back and food for dinner for both? Just out of interest.

• Paid a tenner which goes to the club rather than Portsmouth, got to watch the game and got to see my kids.

• A lot more expensive than a tenner on the telly and no travel costs. Fair play to the travellers but to claim it shows people have given up on the season is a bit daft.

• @PrinceOfCrowell @arnos_grove same here, tucked up in bed nice and early too. Plus, Portsmouth is a shithole and I had a lovely dinner.

• edited October 2023

4 hour round trip, £50 or so outlay. Midweek with work.

Or click a button and still see the whole game much cheaper and actually see your own club get that money .

Sometimes there's really not any great conspiracy as to fan decisions.

• @A_Worboys - for me it was the farcical ticket arrangements for the game. I was planning to go, but left it too late to get a ticket from the club in time (I don’t live near Wycombe.) Saw that the game was ‘all ticket’ so didn’t go down, only to find out from a mate that tickets were on sale on the night, with only 250 tickets sold in advance. Crap from whoever made the decision (Pompey?) to make a mid week game all ticket for away fans.

• Final thought from me. Phillips needs a rocket. Chance to get sent off. Chance to hold up play when we were under the coach and does Hollywood pass. Generally charging around fouling. How poor is Breckin that he’s missing out in favour of player that is largely a liability in my eyes.

• Not sure how much the adult & child prices were. A senior seat was £21 on the day. I get that money is tight for a lot of people but we’ve got many supporters who’ve moved to Hampshire, Surrey & Sussex who I thought would bolster the people travelling from South Bucks (& Hertfordshire).

• This sort of thing for me. Was never going to be a packed away end but I have to by a ticket in advance for something I’m not sure I can 100% attend. Not for me.

• Just seen highlights. Can’t understand what Bloomfield is complaining at. Their winner was a perfectly good goal, no foul, just poor goalkeeping.

• I've just seen this angle and it definitely looks as though the striker leads with his arm. I've seen them given, let's just say that

https://twitter.com/NTT20Pod/status/1709467690505552236?t=fUdpjVmaQmU8ahYvW__FdQ&s=19

• Looks like a foul to me, but that’s the way it goes sometimes.

• that's what I thought at the time - arm to Max's head - but thought it must be my eyesight given the lack of action.

• That angle doesn't add much. Certainly isn't clear and obvious. Leading with the arm or touching the goalie is one thing but unless it's an obvious foul (and Max just looks like he made the wrong choice this time to me) we'd not want that given the other way round. They were banging on the door, we lost, time to move on.

Thought Phillips was pretty handy when he came on, added something different when we went off the boil, sadly he was a bit too deep and Taylor a bit too wide but you get that when you are defending heavily.

As for the attendance I think it was £70+ for a train, midweek game a couple of days after a home game, everyone who wants to has probably been there several times, and it's on the computer, I don't go away that often but on balance I went for the Fleetwood trip instead, much more value in making a weekend of it some times.

• I absolute get the reason but if it is, at least in part, due to the ready availability of watching away games on ‘TV’ we need to recognise this as the first step towards a future where the atmosphere within football grounds at professional level in this country will slowly dissipate into being generated by home support only.

All the reasons for choosing not to travel are perfectly valid this week - and will be again next week and the weeks after that.

It then becomes a habit and you suddenly end up going to fewer and fewer away games.

Over time more and more people will make that choice, and those that do travel become more and more isolated and think that maybe they should choose the easier option.

Welcome to the future….

(Sorry that was a bleak - and somewhat hypocritical - rant!)

• The last paragraph pretty well sums up my reasons for not heading to Portsmouth. There are other away grounds I haven't visited yet. I'll be saving my meagre penny's for one or two of those.

• I'm on holiday have not got a computer with me and very rarely travel even on a Saturday. I haven't given up yet. Ending the unbeaten run of the League's top team was a big ask and we nearly did it.

Be funny after this start if Portsmouth don't go up yet again.

• Apart from that leading arm?

• Took me a couple of watches to spot that, but you're right.

• 100% the ref would have disallowed the goal, if it had been us that had scored a potential late late winner.

• Don't know about not doing Max any favours but it certainly doesn't do Taffazolli any favours. If he does his job there the striker doesn't get anywhere near our keeper and we're heading home with a point in the bag

• Tafa was also at fault for the cheap corner being given away. I was furious.

• A disappointing final result, but it was nearly a very well executed game plan on the counter against one of the division's best teams at their fortress of a stadium.

I found the entire performance, in hindsight this morning, very encouraging. Anyone who says Bloomfield doesn't have a plan A and plan B is just plain wrong at this point. At home he wants to control possession and play more fluid football, but away from home he's happy to adopt a more pragmatic and very nearly effective approach.

Not surprised by the low attendance in the away end - due to strikes kicking in by the time I arrived back in London I didn't make it home until 2am via Lime bike. The train times out of Fratton were not kind on those who travelled.