Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• Pompey look absolutely brilliant. Remind me a lot of Ipswich last season

• Undone by two quickly taken set plays. In fairness to Pompey, it is clearly a deliberate tactic and it has worked. They've been doing it all night.

A real shame because two bits of sloppy defending have let us down in what has otherwise been a very good away performance.

• Horrible way to lose it, but probably a fair result based on the game overall.

• Overall they were the better side and on balance deserved the result but we can feel hard done by with that final score. Can see why they are top of the league.

• Don't think it's a foul on Max but it's the kind of thing Refs often give in the keepers favour as we saw often in our Championship season. It's tough but we have to learn from it

• Didn't want to do Oxford a favour anyway 😀

• edited October 2023

Honestly, it hurts less that being a winner than an equalizer. If we had gone from 3 points to 1 I would have been much more upset.

This was a litmus test, and we did pretty well - just found it hard to break out. Well done boys!

• After having seen my second team Union Berlin have their hearts broken in injury time in their first Champions League "home" game earlier tonight, exactly the same thing happens to us here. A pretty gutting evening's football all round...

• Yeah, but Man United are about to lose hilariously, so there's that...

• A fair result. We had nothing to offer in attack for the second half. Invited them onto us time and time again and it was inevitable they were gonna score. No bad individual performances just collectively Portsmouth were a much better team and a deserved winner.

Looked tired the last 30 too. Apart from GMac of course.

• Yeah that's not a foul in my book. We'd be fuming if it was the other way and it was disallowed. The ref was inconsistent with the cards though, the yellow for Scowen for a nothing challenge, followed a minute later by not booking the Portsmouth player for a very cynical trip on Potts was poor. The kick out at Scowen in the 2nd half was also missed, could easily have been a red if spotted.

Overall though, I guess Portsmouth just about deserved it, although they didn't create a great deal of chances. Just a bit of a sickener to lose it at the death. Really not sure where the 8mins injury time came from, but again that seems normal now even for a game that flowed quite freely.

• It wasn't a foul on Max at all, I've been one of his biggest fans so far, but I'm afraid that was a bit weak, he hardly left the ground. I'm not going to go full meltdown on him though as he's been great so far.

3rd match in a row we've looked worse after taking Vokes off. Despite Micras attempts to make us think otherwise.

• To be fair Portsmouth's winner was more a foul than the one given to Watford for the square root of diddly squat when we scored a late winner against them at Adams Park that season.

• I don't see a foul on the replay. Can't claim every touch on a keeper must be a disallow just because it's us.

Good effort against a very good side. Hopefully regroup for Saturday and get three points up there.

• Two points off the playoffs with a game in hand. Not bad.

• I thought Vokes had another good game. Won lots of headers at both ends and provided good hold up play. If we can get him really firing that will make a massive difference to our season.

Also thought Forino has a great game. Really like that curled ball he's got down the line into the channel.

• Despite our late defeat, a quick glance at the full time score and 2 late red cards to boot for our dear old neighbours of the self proclaimed hob nob variety has made me feel a tad bit better already. Their meltdown and self destruction is a little bit beautiful.

• Max had a chance to clear everything out, ball and man. Didn’t. Sometimes refs don’t allow anyone to touch a keeper, sometimes they do. Another day that’s a foul.

• I didn’t think it was a foul on Max either, but I did think he put it in with his hand like Maradona

• It would help if Max didn’t have to defend 15 corners and numerous other wide free kicks. I’d argue we were outstanding to deal with so many without conceding. The front 3 that finished the game couldn’t make the ball stick in Pompey’s half so I am much more frustrated by their inability to manage possession than Max who did well for 97 minutes.

• I thought the goal scorer led with hands high and in an unnatural position which collided / interfered with Max’s hands. Quite easily could have been given as a foul but the ref was a bit of a homer all night particularly with his yellow card distribution and missing the kick at Scowen. Still tight game probably sat too deep second half. On to Fleetwood Saturday. COYB

• We’re still a work in progress. That was a 6/10 performance for me. Failed with too many passes in the second half and this put us under too much pressure. Potts didn’t get going after the break and maybe should have been taken off. Hanlan battled but barely saw the ball. But our second half decline was more down to their improvement.

• How many signings did Pompey make in the summer? Are they a work in progress too?

• On a positive note, I thought Scowen was absolutely incredible. What an amazing player he is

• They’ve got one of the best teams in the league on paper and Mousinho looks a top quality coach. We’re incomparable as things stand.

• I honestly have rarely felt so positive after a sickener like that. Portsmouth are excellent and we almost got something from the game. Hopefully we can ride the sense of disappointment to re-energize for the Fleetwood game.

• Sickener that one.

Especially seeing where we'd have been with a win. But a draw would have been a strong result.

Never mind. Need to make up for it at Fleetwood at the other end of the table next up.

• Annoying to see Fleetwood have hit form just at the wrong time for us. Hopefully we're capable of going there and getting something from the game though.