Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Carlisle

Comments

• Bread of heaven

• Really bizarre to see it happen in professional football. They had ten other players, plus a full bench, and yet none of them thought to shout 'he's behind you'.

• Penalty looks a touch harsh but Gmac does well to force them into a challenge. Great to see him playing so we'll at the moment too. He really looks fired up and must be one of the most dangerous attackers in the division in this form.

• Pinched from elsewhere.

PPG. Alan Swann take a bow.

• It's a privilege to see such an incident live.

It's a bit like seeing a goalie score from his own end for rarity. I remember seeing Maik Taylor's debut for Barnet away at Hereford in about 95.

Notable for the Hereford keeper scoring against the hapless Taylor.

The dreaded Col U goal against Hydey was a bit before my match going days but I think I've only once ever before seem a keeper score from the other end.. Stevenage v Ingram I think.

But incidents like today I can't remember one really.

• The tactic of letting GMac play where the hell he wants is allowing him to bring Hanlan into the game more. And I think Harlan’s confidence has grown as a result. He was trying more elaborate things and they were largely paying off. It’s the same old story of playing with a smile on your face.

And again I feel we will look back and speak about Potts like we do Eze. It seems unfair to have him sometimes.

• ...not forgetting 400+ fans who must have seen what was gonna happen next. Very strange.

• Nice to hear a manager not blaming us or the ref for their loss:

https://youtu.be/Sq7kNV8ogus?si=CiF80_zBXZ2AV5P9

• I think @Glenactico has summed it up very well.

When they went down to 10-men, I thought that this could be the day we give a side a real hiding. But we dropped off the pace until Vokes made the game safe.

A very pleasing afternoon overall and it’ll be interesting to see how we get on in this autumn’s ‘bigger’ tests, starting on Tuesday.

• https://x.com/HOMESofFOOTBALL?t=1rBdf4MX7LyhiXCnL2khrQ&s=09

He tweeted throughout the afternoon. You will have to scroll through all the stuff he has posted since.

• I’m a ref.

stutter in the run up is allowed.

stutter then kick the ball (I.e. the last step)…yellow card for the penalty taker and indirect free kick to the defence.

personally I would ban the stutter all together in the run up?

• Hopefully Oxford stutter at the 'Kassam' in a few weeks when Matt Masterminds an away win

• It’s not the stutter I’m questioning. He steps backwards five steps after the whistle is blown (so the pen is live). Stops. Takes one step forward (to settle himself). Stops. Then starts the stuttering run. The run up starts when he takes the first step forward.

• edited September 2023

Se my reply above. He steps one step forward. Stops. Then starts the stutter.

• edited September 2023

Had a feeling I’d see a smattering of “we dropped off the pace” types posts. I personally don’t see it that way.

We sat back letting them come forward to create spaces in their back line. At 1-0 and down to 10 men they had to come forward to come away with anything from the game. Knowing that and exploiting that on the break was the game plan rather than dropping off. Going going-Ho and getting caught on the break ourselves (as we nearly did until an outstanding last second Leahy’s block) was the worst thing that could happen in that situation.

What I don’t think we did particularly well, except for when Vokes scored, was hit them quickly on the break with accurate passing to exploit the gaps of being a man down and dragged up the pitch would create. It seemed alittle forced at times - but that’s me being hyper critical. Defence was solid and comfortable and when it all clicked going forward we cut them open nicely.

We’re not the finished article by any means and considering we have a game in hand over most above us, makes me quietly excited.

• Wonderful stuff. In the nineties there was that excellent exhibition in the (building next to the Falcon..town hall?)

The iconic Motson in the snow picture will last long after we are all gone

• Have to say, I didn't notice Vokes stalking the keeper until the goalie dropped the ball and Sam started pouncing. It was amazing stealth, up there with the most cunning predators of the Serengeti.

• It was very clever thinking by Sam, and he got into a fast sprint very quickly from a standing start. Rather than continuing to the keeper's right, which would have given him clear space to shoot, he decided to cut back, which allowed the keeper to make a challenge. Some reports give it as handball, some as a foul on Sam. I keep playing it over and over, I can't see a handball, the ball rolls along his body and he tries hard to not handle it. He does bring down Sam, who immediately gets up and appeals, but for what? The keeper makes no appeal, so there is no doubt it is a foul, but it would be interesting to know what the referee gave it for.

Had Sam evaded the challenge and scored, would it have been more of an advantage to be one up against eleven, or level against ten? Carlisle played better with ten after the break and should have taken one of their chances.

• Was a strange one watching on TV, you knew roughly what had happened but it wasn't immediately obvious if he'd actually touched it or fouled him and it made even less sense that nobody behind the goal had alerted the goalie that Vokesey was waiting there. Also looked like maybe Brandon could have got a shot away in the scramble and saved the ref a decision.

• Apart from Sammy's stalking, the other rarity seen at Adams Park yesterday was a foul throw given for a player not having both feet on the ground. A black & white law which for years always appears to be ignored by elite officials in the UK & Europe. I was actually pleased to see it invoked in League 1 yesterday even if it was against us as it reminded me of my primary school headmaster demonstrating how throw ins should be taken and how they should not.

• On this video from the away end, I think you can hear a few in the crowd shouting, before Sam moves. When he does the move, the shouts increase but the keeper is looking to his right and doesn't see Sam until he is past him and on the ball. The ref blew quickly, before Brandon could take the ball on. The keeper walks off past Sam, no glances or words exchanged. This is going to live on as one of those "I was there" moments.

https://twitter.com/wwfcofficial/status/1708169505979937204?t=aSrv5DHZQAPa888UfQzAfw&s=19

• Much clearer from that clip, thanks. I wasn't there but probably had a better view than three quarters of the crowd. Remarkable how late the keeper clocks on, doesn't even seem to notice him coming past until he's on the ball.

• I thought it was a breath of fresh air yesterday being a Family Day. Having so many smiling kids there makes the place seem more vibrant & energetic. The numbers generally in the Family Stand this season have been poor so to see lots of kids enjoying the day & the win was great.

• I believe anyone can use this link to give their feedback on the day, it's not free form but there is the possibility to add comments.

https://www.wwfc.com/tickets/matchday-feedback-form/

• Sorry, @Twizz, it may just be my iPhone but links that are not in blue don’t work for me.

Not a problem for me on this occasion as ticketing (?) is not a topic I’m able to comment on but if others have the same issue it could be frustrating. Until now, it’s been an issue for me only when a link is included in a quoted post and all I have to do is scroll back to the original post.

• If you select the link in full then copy and paste into your browser then it will open to a survey.

I've no idea why sometimes the link works just by clicking it while other times you have to copy and paste🤷‍♂️.

• Sorry @Twizz. When I tap the link nothing happens. Story of my life.