Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Carlisle

Comments

• Best weekend in 7 years

• If everyone played their games in hand this week and won them, we would be 5th. We are in this!

• Another bad day for the “Blooms is an emotion appointment” crowd. 

And for the “Vokes needs to do more” crowd (just me), great stuff from him today. Fantastic league debut for Jasper and Potts’ best performance yet.

• For those of you who were mesmerised by Carlisle's away kit here is an indication that it has been imitated already .....

.....by no less than the Belgian cricket team who were taking on Guernsey in Malaga in the European T10 Champtionships.

• Interesting to note that Exeter are the only side we have faced so far to be above us in the table (on goal difference). Hopefully over the next few weeks we can get some big results over these sides and climb our way to the summit

• Nice quick disclaimer at the end when you've been a right arse about Vokes🤣

• Arguably one of Vokes' best goals for us?

And how often is it you actually get to see live a farcical situation like the incident leading up to the red in the flesh.

Brilliant entertainment.

• I agree it’s the first time I’ve ever seen it live

• Imagine driving a 500 mile round trip and your keeper does that

• Imagine losing 4-3 in injury time when we heard "Bean with the shot"

• Each week we seem to evolve Bloomball a little more. I don’t know how it would work without the genius of Potts linking with Scowen.

I think the only change I would like to see is the intensity dial. We seem to wind down to a 5 or 6 for long periods of the game and this will invite teams onto us. A 7 will suffice and 8 will crush teams. 9 and 10 and not possible. And Phillips needs to come down from a 12.

No complaints all round today. On and off the field it was a good day down at AP.

• Potts looked supreme today.

Load of time on it, winning the ball effortlessly, nice range of passing.

• Phillips certainly needs to relax a bit.

At the Sutton game I was nearer the action than my usual view and it was noticeable how he'd moan at every single little thing. Teammates passes, the ref etc.

Tumbles too easily, gives too many fouls away and tries to do everything instantly.

• edited September 2023

Excellent result, decent performance, Bloomsball seems to be growing on the players & today there were some fantastic slick passing moves with not much backwards & sideways stuff on show; like others I would like us to maintain our tempo a bit more as particularly in the second half we dropped it too much and risked letting them back in the game.

I agree with @TheAndyGrahamFanClub that if we can produce a steady 7/10 every game with spells of 8 we will give most teams a seriously hard time.

• The ref actually laughed at him when he went down today. It was a bit of a ridiculous/dramatic fall, I do have to say. Don’t think Phillips like that from his reaction.

• Weird game in some the ways. We were totally in control for most of it, yet also really flustered in a few moments and could easily have been punished. Hard to say what the outcome would have been without the bizarre red card incident. My guess is we'd have won 1-0 as we looked the slightly better side, but not by a huge margin.

I found it a bit annoying that we didn't play more forward passes on the ground second half. Carlisle were spread thinly across midfield, with one less player and two wing backs to try and screen. There was so much space to slot balls into the strikers as a result, but we don't seem to want to do that really. Eventually, a forward pass to Vokes led to a much-needed second goal.

I thought Vokes was fantastic today. Made two crucial contributions (goal and red card) to go with some excellent hold up play. Since joining he's needed games to get up to full speed, which is true for all players to some point to some extent, but seems to be particularly evident in his case. Getting him fully sharp and exploiting his best attributes will be essential if we are to be any better than mid table.

Overall, we are doing reasonably well and increasingly control large spells in games. Very, very methodical development of the ball from the back means we're at low risk of giving the ball away in our half, and subsequently look unlikely to concede to a turnover (which is just as well, because I think we respond slowly to changes in possession). And when the opposition build their own attacks from deep we stay compact and aren't easily broken down. I suspect we'll concede few goals over the course of the season, but probably draw too many to compete at the top of the league.

• That Carlisle kit was like an old Watford kit that’d got mixed up with a Bakerloo line seat.

And considering the nonsense about wearing change strips because of clashing with the keeper’s shirt, what was today all about? Officials and Carlisle keeper all in orange.

• An excellent performance all round today, albeit against a side near the foot of the table, who had 10 men for the last hour. 19 shots at goal with 6 on target, and 60% possession, says it all.

Portsmouth away on Tuesday night will be a tougher proposition, but we're playing well enough to get something from that game.

• Just seen the sending off. Never ceases to amaze me how goalkeepers get themselves into that situation (and how their teammates allow it). Brilliant work from Vokesy, though.

• Is that the first game we’ve won with the majority of possession for a while?

• Excellent result and some of the passing out from the back was good. We still look a bit reluctant to have a shot and we were certainly helped by 'the incident' and a silly Carlisle tackle on a Gmac who seemed to have overrun the pass to me when there was no need. Vokes was excellent and if I thought McLeary was anonymous against Blackpool he was challenging Josh for the being every ****ing where today.

Keogh was also my man of the match...he kept shaping to hoof and then passing it to Boyes or Potts when the Carlisle players were tricked. Jasper played really well and did not look out of his depth. If we can get something from Pompey and Fleetwood, we are looking good.

• Perfectly executed stutter penalty from Leahy, too. Love to see that.

• Well I’ve just watched it from the touchline camera. The ref blows his whistle so the action is live. Luke steps back a few strides, stops, takes a step forward but stops before going stuttering forward. I thought that was not permitted?

• Very pleased with how it turned out. Would've loved to seen us turn the screw towards the end and really go for goals, seemed to treat it like a friendly but is always tough with so many subs.

Excited for when everything properly clicks and we're calmer playing so quickly

• Very good first half, albeit we let them off the hook rather. Would need to see the penalty again, but it looked very soft to me.

2nd half we lacked the intensity of the 1st half and could've been punished. Thankfully Vokes got the vital 2nd at a good time.

Pleasing to see us continuing to improve under Bloomfield, Tuesday will be a stern test however.