Skip to content

Match day thread: Northampton

Comments

• You’ve just reminded me of trauma I had buried deep during the Covid year against Watford where the nice-but-dim ex-Watford player on 3CR referred to Uche as ‘Ikipayzu’ for the whole 90 minutes.

Grim.

• All’s well that ends well. The widow’s shot.

• Or even better. The window’s shut.

• Well that sounded like an absolute shitshow

• Or the boost / tactical change/ barny we needed? Who knows? Football would be very dull if it was predictable.

There was a real togetherness at the end regardless of what went on before.

• Never trust what you read on the gasroom, it was indistinguishable from basically any other Wycombe game from the last ten years.

• I'm going by non-Gasroom sources who saw the game. I'm mainly concerned by what sounds like in-fighting (Keogh v Blooms, Max v KVY), but maybe some necessary tough love was exchanged.

• Keogh v Blooms appeared to just be a miscommunication between the physio and Blooms over Keogh's injury which, understandably, frustrated him a little. Quite possible he would have been subbed off later in the half anyway; I'm sure something that will be easily ironed out regardless.

Max v KVY was just a frustrated goalkeeper barking some justifiably harshly-worded orders at his defence at what was a point in the second half where we had begun severely under the cosh. More a positive than a negative in my view.

• I think I'd prefer to scuffle through with a 1-0 then the "champagne" football of the 0-0 draw v Burton.

As long as that sort of performance doesn't become the norm.

• Well that's the thing - performance is so much more important than results at this stage, and we've not produced a complete one yet.

• edited September 2023

Agreed - unless it’s Bowyer vs Dyer level, I’m never too worried about in-game arguments. Shows a passion from both parties to try and win. Better than all of the players lumbering around with no intensity.

Keogh was just frustrated and I’m sure will quickly apologise, and Max has probably dished out worse on his way to the corner shop on a Sunday morning so nothing to see there. Having KVY as my RWB would probably drive me into a raging ball of fury too.

• Totally agree. Love to see the GK giving defenders some stick. My sense that’s what KV-Y needs because defending is not the strongest part of his game.

• Have two Wycombe players ever come to blows on the pitch Bowyer and Dyer style?

• I agree with most comments here, 1st half was truly dreadful, there's no hiding from that, and actually seriously wouldn't want to watch that every week ! 2nd half was much better, subs made a difference and the last 20 minutes was a glorious in it together battling performance. Thought Leahy and Scowen were superb. Been a few comments on the on loan boys today, I think Boyes and Potts have been ok, Potts has had a few digs on here today but I think he's showed promise. Phillips is a strange one, not really sure where he's meant to be playing or what his role is.

2 Saturday wins in a row whilst not playing particularly well is not a bad thing, just imagine if we click

• I can’t recall anything quite like that, could have all been different if Tommy Doherty had still been around when Stuart Lewis arrived.

• Max shouting at KVY was about the latter wanting a quick release for a counter attack and Max wanting to slow it down. The sort of thing that happens 20 times every game. Your “sources” need a head wobble.

• I hope I’m wrong, but it seems like some gasroomers actually want us to lose at the moment because it fits into their collective narratives about the manager, team, state of the club, state of the finances.... etc etc. Hence many of those who have spent the last couple of days mouthing off, have suddenly gone very quiet.

Reading this thread and the Rumour Mill thread over the past day has been a real eye-opener. Knees have jerked like never before. All very indicative of today’s intolerant, binary society.

Anyway, well done Blues! 3 wins in 4. A year ago we were in a worse league position after a point at Fleetwood and GMac suspended. Now we have 2 weeks to get fitness for some, and get some training ground drills. Already can’t wait for the Blackpool game. Bring it on!!

• Are you joking? Our performance today until the last 20 was one of the worst I've seen in that time. We should have been 4-1 down, defence all over the place, and no threat in attack whatsoever. It's nothing like most of the last ten years

• This nearly counts as Blue on Blue, but for a few days.

From CotN

Crease' joined Wycombe in September 1988 after falling into dispute with Barnet. Ironically Creaser's last match for The Bees was against Wycombe where a clash with Wycombe striker Mark West saw Creaser red-carded and chucked out of Underhill by then Barnet Chairman Stan Flashman. Wycombe Manager Jim Kelman stepped in with a Club record deal of £15,000 and Kelman's gain was Barry Fry's loss as the central defender went onto make 260 appearances and scoring 12 times in a Wycombe shirt. 

• Good grief, is a goalkeeper shouting at a teammate now considered too much?

Definite positives in the second half. Potts got far more involved and made a few lovely moves. Mustard was fantastic. Tjay was the best of Tjay. KVY cocked up once but looked much better. Boyes did well too. Wheels shut down their roving wingback too.

A second half win for the gaffer? Most certainly so.

• We live in very delicate times, which in some ways is nice but in others a complete pain in the (word deleted to avoid causing offence)

• Personally, I don't think there is a single Gasroomer who wants us to lose.

• It's an utter fallacy that winning while playing badly is the sign of a good team btw

• We won the game, which means there needs to be some drama found from elsewhere.

It's basic football forum knowledge.

• Of course it is Tom; but I for one would rather win whilst playing shite than lose whilst playing pretty.

We need to regain that resiliance we were renowned for, then we can layer on the passing tiki-taki stuff.

• I don’t care what anyone says about that game I was there it was a shiteshow. How we won that is beyond me. We were terrible

• At this stage of the season performances are more important than results @ReturnToSenda ?

Really?

• And as if by magic, Rob Couhig is logging in to his Zoom account...