Skip to content

Match day thread: Northampton

Comments

• Well in Harry Boyes

• Great battling at the end here !

• Much grittier in the second half following the subs.

• What a win.

2 Saturday wins in a row. What a time to be alive!

• Get in

Happy enough to win whilst playing shite

• Well-judged subs from Bloomfield.

• 'How To Change Games With Subs' by Sir Matt Bloomfield.

• Glad that's over. A great win, but as ugly as they come.

• I enjoyed that second half. I think Ainsworth comparisons are right, a really battling performance, we looked as likely to score as Northampton.

First half though, Jesus, I don't want to see that again.

• The win & three points will do wonders and I'm sure we'll play better in time.

Mustn't grumble.

• Up to 9th in the table, colour me happy with that

• Famous win. Never in doubt. Onwards.

• Positives are that it looked more together in the 2nd. Boyes, Wheeler and Hanlan looked great coming on. Leahy and Scowen are the first names on the team-sheet.

Cannot work out what the plan was for the entire first half though.

• Two points off the playoffs. Bad night for the end is nigh crowd.

• Winning the last match before a lay-off against a better team (which will anger manager and fans) with terrible players unsuited to the system we play (whatever that is) and the goal scored by an aging defender past his best?

I'll take it.

• I'll take a clean sheet and an away win after this week. Nothing wrong with the odd smash-and-grab result.

3 points, build some league momentum. Any one know what the comparison was at this stage last season, points wise?

• First half performance no way near the mark, but really impressive response in the final 30 minutes and credit must go to the subs and the management staff for the changes made in that second half, which totally reversed the momentum. Special mention for Hanlan and Boyes, who for different reasons maybe had a point to prove today, but they both certainly did that.

A sign of a tough side is their ability to win when playing poorly, so maybe today was an example of that brittle edge we’ve been lacking since Ainsworth left.

Plenty to work on as we still don’t look like creating many quality chances, and when we do it’s via route one and not via the way Blooms really wants to play. But given how poorly we started the season, to go into a 2 week break with 10 pts from a possible 12 (since the Lincoln game) is a real positive.

• edited September 2023

Never mind that biggest boy, we're 3 points off TOP 🤣

Makes you weep about those unnecessary 2 points lost v Burton, but we have a 2 week gap now to work on things.

• Ha, up and down, we were very bad in parts but last 20 at least they really did put a shift in , Scowen, Leahy , Max and Hanlan but not alone.

How many times have we played well and lost, you have to celebrate these

• MEGA win that! Four unbeaten in the league, two away wins on the bounce. Needed it more than ever after this week.

• edited September 2023

Still nowhere near where we need to be but a much better second half, especially once the subs came on.

Hanlan and TJ causing them all sorts of problems, Boyes making amends for his poor performance on Tuesday. I’d forgotten how important Wheeler was to us, a great performance from him too.

KVY starting to show what he’s all about (bar that nightmare moment). Low and Forino improved in the second half whilst Leahy was outstanding at left centre back.

Stronger showing from Scowen. Potts largely anonymous again, though. Glad to see Phillips hooked so early, not doing it for me at the moment.

GMac seemed to pull up as if he’d pulled his hamstring, only to walk off the pitch clutching his groin so not sure on that one. Either way, the international break’s come at a good time for that one and hopefully shouldn’t be missing him for too long.

I’m not sure on Keogh either. Is it possible he dislocated his shoulder which explains his extreme discomfort, which the physio then popping it back into its socket, only for him to be subbed anyway? Would explain his frustration but surely doesn’t warrant the brief argument he had with Blooms.

Left ourselves in a good position with a couple weeks off now. I really hope Blooms uses this time to explore the option of using a 4 back, or at a minimum on how to get more bodies into the final third. Solve those problems and, with the individuals we have, I don’t think a push for the playoffs is totally unrealistic in a weaker league than previous years. COYB!

• Gasroom whinged Wycombe to victory there

• On holiday in Cornwall, been down my friend’s local pub in the garden on a warm and sunny afternoon drinking some of St Austell’s finest ales. No access to information regarding today’s match as it progressed until we got to his house a few minutes ago to find we had won. Going through the comments on this site the overwhelming majority of comments are very negative and are probably accurate as to how the game developed. Personally I do not care, three points away from home makes me a very happy bunny !.

• Don’t nobody mention that itchykoo name. Surplus to requirements.

• The bells are jingling, and, if I may be so bold, what fun we are having!

• Three points playing poorly. Can’t be bad.

• I know the league isn't as strong this year but I reckon you'll need more than 13 points to win it

• edited September 2023

Special mention to Max too. Didn’t have to make too many outstanding saves but was so commanding throughout, holding onto everything thrown at him (bar one chance in the first half that came through a crowd of bodies which he could only parry).

What’s really encouraging is that he appears to absolutely berate the defence every time a mistake is made. And rightfully so. As long as he can continue to channel this anger into his own performance and getting the backline to where they need to be then that’s a fantastic attribute to have in our keeper, especially in backs against the wall performances such as this.