Skip to content

Local Teams Football

Comments

• Definitely a good way to see the country. There must be 100-odd grounds just on the various islands dotted around?

• Supported since 1991, this'll be my first season without ST since then as I wasn't enjoying it any more. Plus I have to book all my holiday at work long before fixtures came out and the computer was not kind. Went to every game home and away 2001 - 2007 and seen 932 games at Adams Park and Wycombe 1,392 times.

Went to the first two homes, the Orient game was the first time I've enjoyed it since Gaz left. Skipping tomorrow for a day out in Norwich and Mulbarton Wanderers v Bedford Town in the FA Cup.

• edited August 2023

Enjoying it? The life of a fan isn't about enjoyment old boy, it's about suffering, with occasional moments of hope thrown in 🤣

Do what makes you happy though. Sometimes the 4miles to our ground feels too much, so fair play trekking hours to watch guys who play the sort of footy some of us could have in our youth 😋

• You must keep very detailed records to be so precise @Hopping_Wanderer .

may I ask which are the 19 level 7 and 8 clubs still outstanding. Are they all teams that have just been promoted or just odd ones where kick offs haven’t worked? Do you keep records of impressions of each ground? Around May do you celebrate when a new far away club gets promoted or does your heart sink a little.

• I spotted @Hopping_Wanderer at Clapton CFC once.

• Mr Hopping Wanderer has a fine website detailing such info.

• Blimey. Impressive and clearly a labour of love.

unless I missed them, pleased to say I can tick off a few you have yet to make -

millbrook (Cornwall) - odd place to have a team at this level (and sadly they may not soon)

plymouth parkway - impressive ground for an ambitious well funded club

helston - I believe the most southerly attendance paid ground. Glorious day with a hike on the Lizard and a wonderful hour totally alone watching seals and their cubs on a beach below my headland

mousehole - very upwardly mobile club with some sort of link to Leeds United that no one quite understands.

tavistock - my local team and regular haunt. Do let me know if you are visiting. Happily buy you a beer and give you some history of club and town.

Enjoyable browse. Thank you.

• Mousehole are my parents local team. It’ll be fascinating to see how far up the pyramid they can get before geography slows them down.

• Geography is a massive issue in the West. Mousehole (Penzance) to Malvern ( Worcester) is a 500 mile round trip in Div2 of the Southern league - step8. Even the Western League has trips from Helston and Falmouth to North of Bristol. Financial cost of travelling steadily killing off the clubs that don’t have a sugar daddy and the players who work all week don’t exactly relish spending most of Saturday in a coach up and down the M5.

• My good mate Adam Sidky just signed for Clapton FC. Let me know how he gets on.

• Yes, given how a couple of seasons in the National League South almost ruined Truro, you’d think that the Southern League would be as good as it gets for Mousehole.

• To be fair being owned by Kevin Heaney , him suddenly owning their ground and then selling it to Tesco , the Stadium for Cornwall fiasco , and then playing home games 100 miles away in Torquay and now 65 miles away in Plymouth haven’t helped Truro. Somehow though on gates struggling into three figures, they are back in conference south this year.

• Milton Keynes Irish should be controversial (and on the side of football) and change their needs to Real Milton Keynes.

• I think Buckingham Town would have begged to differ.

• A mixed bag of FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round results for local sides...

Flackwell Heath secured a cupset, beating Cirencester Town 2-0 at Wilks Park, with the visitors having a player sent off.

Elsewhere, Marlow FC also secured their passage to the 1st QR, winning 1-0 away at Wallingford & Crowmarsh.

On the flip side, Aylesbury United suffered a 2-0 reverse at 'home' to Clevedon Town and Holyport lost 1-0 at home to Yate Town.

In the Spartan South Mids Prem, Aylesbury Value Dynamoes were thumped 5-2 at home to Baldock Town.

Other local results included Chalfont St. Peter losing 4-1 at home by Broadfields United in the Premier Challenge Cup 1st Round.

Burnham (3-2 against North Greenford United) and Risborough Rangers (3-0 away to Egham Town) both picked up wins in the CCL Prem North.

Holmer Green continued their dreadful start to the season, losing 4-0 away at CCL D1 leaders Molesey, leaving them with a -16 GD after just 5 games. In the same division, Penn & Tylers Green beat Bagshot 1-0. While upwardly mobile Amersham Town overcame Bedfont 4-2, Langley drew 3-3 with Rising Ballers Kensington (who?!) and Windsor were gubbed 6-2 at home to FC Deportivo Galicia (what?!).

Curiously, cross-town rivals of sorts Windsor & Eton drew a crowd of 1,022 for their Stag Meadow homecoming against Burghfield. The Thames Valley Premier League encounter ended 0-0.

And finally, on-loan Dave Tarpey was amongst the goals as Hungerford Town came from behind to beat Beaconsfield Town 3-1 in the Southern Prem South. Chesham made it three wins from three when beating Plymouth Parkway in a 4-3 thriller.

• Preliminary Round, not Extra Preliminary Round…

• @williwycombe quality stuff this, nice one

So Windsor and Eton are a new club which is basically Windsor Youth yeah? And today was a sort of BBQ day?

• I’m not an expert on the Windsor situation but as far as I can gather they’re a continuation of the original incarnation that was replaced by Windsor FC. So a Phoenix, Phoenix club?!

They’re starting life in the TVPL at Step 7, one division below Windsor FC, who have to play at Holloways Park in Beaconsfield.

Yesterday was a bonafide league game with all Windsor & Eton FC home games being free of charge this season.

https://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/gallery/windsor-fc/187474/windsor-eton-hoping-to-welcome-1-000-fans-through-stag-meadow-turnstiles.html

• The FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round draw has been made.

Selected ties involving local sides:

Walton & Hersham v Chesham United

Flackwell Heath v Farnham Town

Marlow FC v AFC Croydon Athletic

Southall v Beaconsfield Town

• I haven't looked out for every result but some highlights/lowlights from a relatively busy midweek of local action...

Holmer Green were thumped (again), going down 5-1 at home to Oxhey Jets. The Greens were 5-0 down at HT and got their consolation from the spot in the 92nd minute...elsewhere in the CCL D1, Amersham Town spanked London Samurai Rovers 7-0 at Spratleys Meadow. And Windsor FC edged out bottom side Bagshot (2-1) at Holloways Park.

In the CCL Prem North, Risborough Rangers climbed up to fifth with a 2-0 home win over Ardley United. Chalfont St. Peter were 3-nil down to bottom dwellers Wembley before staging a stunning comeback to win 6-4.

In the Velocity Cup 1st Round, Marlow FC thrashed Thatcham Town 4-0 on their own patch.

• I saw Winslow United beat Cranfield United 2-0 tonight, in the Spartan South Mids 1. An entertaining and competitive game, the Winslow keeper made some great saves in the first half to preserve a one goal lead. The Ploughmen took control in the second half, so a fair scoreline. The win, watched by 104, keeps Winslow in third place.

I posted videos of the goals on Twitter (never 'X'), although I am conscious now that you need an account to watch them, I don't think we can upload videos to Gasroom.

https://twitter.com/StevePeart_/status/1694066572401262958?t=dpgqtPJfORxpjXtOsHhjAA&s=19

https://twitter.com/StevePeart_/status/1694078831622008911?t=d3kzMH71k6bU-3LjSS4G9A&s=19

• As well as basking in another glorious win over the Gas, I had an eye on some of the local teams...

The skies opened throughout the day and it was raining goals in the FA Vase. Flackwell Heath put Bucks and divisional rivals Risborough Rangers to the sword with a 7-1 win in front of 215 spectators at Windsors. The Heathens look in great nick already and this was yet another impressive victory.

Not to be outdone, Burnham travelled to Daventry Town and blitzed their hosts 8-1. On the other end of the scale, Holmer Green were on the wrong-end of a 9-0 humiliation at home to MK Irish. Another really worrying result and scoreline for the hapless Greens. Heads must be spinning at Watchet Lane.

Elsewhere, Long Crendon fell 5-1 away at Wembley while Aylesbury Vale Dynamoes were 4-1 victors at Buckingham and Langley edged out Chalfont 2-1. There were some eye-watering scores across the First Qualifying Round with fans certainly getting value for money.

FA Vase results - The Isuzu FA Vase | The FA

In league action, Beaconsfield Town are still searching for their first win after ending up on the wrong side of a 3-2 scoreline at home to Tiverton Town. Southern Prem South rivals Chesham United maintained their 100% record with a 2-0 victory at Dorchester Town. The two Bucks sides will meet at The Meadow on Bank Holiday Monday.

In the Isthmian South Central, Marlow FC smashed Corinthian Casuals 4-1 on the road while over in the Southern League D1 Central, Aylesbury United lost 2-1 to Hertford Town.

In Step 6, Penn were beaten 2-1 away at Eversley and California in the CCL D1, with Windsor FC losing out by the same score at Spartans Youth. Amersham Town top the division on goal difference following a 6-1 hammering of Hillingdon Borough.

Finally, Maidenhead United's National League nosebleed was stemmed somewhat by a 0-0 home draw against lowly Oxford City while old rivals Slough Town continued their poor start in the league below with Torquay United triumphing 2-1 at Arbour Park.

• If you can't make it to Sixfields then there's plenty of local football to enjoy.

It's a big weekend of FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round action with the following ties featuring local sides...

Saturday 2 September - 3pm KO

Flackwell Heath v Farnham Town (extra parking available at the local college)

Marlow v AFC Croydon Athletic

Southall v Beaconsfield Town (to be played at Burnham FC).

Sunday 3 September - 3pm KO

Uxbridge v Cray Valley

Elsewhere, selected games include:

CCL Prem North - Saturday 2 September - 3pm KO

Chalfont St. Peter v Burnham

CCL D1 - Saturday 2 September - 3pm KO

Amersham Town v British Airways

Penn & Tylers Green v Brook House

Spartan South Mids Prem - Saturday 2 September - 3pm KO

Aylesbury Vale Dynamoes v Arlesey Town

• Some local midweek action to enjoy, including an FA Cup Replay and re-playing of the Flackwell v Farnham game after it was abandoned due to a medical emergency. Thankfully the player in question is OK and recovering.

FAC1RQ Replay - Tuesday 5 September

Beaconsfield Town v Southall (7:45)

CCLD1

Holmer Green v Langley (7:45)

FAC1RQ - Wednesday 6 September

Flackwell Heath v Farnham Town (7:45. Original match abandoned after 64mins with Farnham leading 2-1. Winner will play Chesham United at home. Gate receipts will be donated to charity).

• Why was the Flackwell Health game abandoned @williwycombe? I'm guessing an injury?

• One of the Flackwell players collapsed on the pitch. Thankfully their trained physio, Stacia Murray, was quickly on-hand to administer care.