Skip to content

The Ashes

Comments

• Chas is at least an OG lefty. I can respect that, even if his views are bonkers.

• Firstly, thanks for the apology, and I will also buy you a beer if you make it next Thursday.

I'm not aware of having posted any extreme right wing views on here, and politically I would class myself as slightly right of centre, certainly not out there with the more bonkers wing of the Tory party.

A far cry from my student days, when I was a member of Putney Young Liberals, whose chairman was Peter Hain, who went on to become a Minister in Tony Blair's cabinet, and now sits in the Lords. We were very active in demonstrating against the South African cricket and rugby tours to the UK, under what was then an apartheid regime. We also campaigned for squatters' rights in derelict properties.

But like many of my generation (boomers), I've moved rightwards with age, and with more money and property. I'm sorry if anyone is offended by that, it's just the way it is.

• In the ‘80s I was mostly shouting this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RZJxFo5Br_0

I’ve moved further to the left as I’ve got older...

• Ignore button.

Better for the soul.

Football please.

• Begs the question... why are you in a "cricket" thread on the "not football" section of this site, asking for "football"...?

• How was that @shev 😉

• I thought we were talking class and bargepole. Sorry I hurt your thread, mister

• ignore button

• So back to the actual threat.

England have named an unchanged squad. Do we think that England will name an unchanged team? Will this be Anderson's swan-song or will they look at conditions etc and potentially drop him in favour of a quicker bowler? The oval tends to be the hardest and bounciest pitch out of all of the test venues. Very overcast with rain tomorrow, then showers on Sat (Day 3) and Monday (Day 5) so it might play into Anderson's strengths. But Woakes has been able to get the ball to do more?

• As much as I love Jimmy, I'd leave him out and bring Tongue back in. Broad, Wood, Woakes and Tongue. They have looked our 4 most threatening bowlers this series.

• I agree with you. Leave out Anderson & Robinson - can't trust his back

• Hope people haven’t lost interest in the Ashes Test now that we’re not in a position to regain them. Winning the Oval Test and levelling the series would be a great achievement.

I understand there are plans to rename Test Matches as T400s.

• It really has been a great series and it’s fun to watch us basically break the rules of how to play test cricket.

I have some mixed feelings however as it also seems to take some of the nuances out of what is one of the ultimate great sporting format.

It’s a little too much like playing one day cricket over two innings (with a slow over rate). Which is okay but a different game really and one where runs are valued far more than losing your wicket.

But, we have more than matched the best test team in the world and at times made them look clueless, so we are a little unlucky (although a lot of that was perhaps basics not done) overall.

I had a ticket to the 5th day, but I think it’s safe to say this test will be over long before then!

• It's interesting that everyone is moaning about the Northern grounds not being given an Ashes Test but when they go North, they get spoiled by the weather! (granted that last week, EVERYWHERE was wet!)

• It's got me back into Test cricket. I'd watch a lot more of it if it was always like this.

• Yes @ReturnToSenda! If you ever want to (attempt) to play it, you'll need to let me know, my team is always looking out for new players!

• I think my playing days are over - hours in the field did for me in the end!

• It's all about the afternoon Tea, I thought that was why everyone played!

• Since Covid, the afternoon tea is whatever you decide to make yourself. A lot of clubs have stopped doing them!

• The lack of afternoon tea not your comment @Otter87 just to be totally clear!

• Aussie spoilsports playing “properly” !

Oh, hold on. They should be playing Bazball.

Labushagne out for 9 after facing 82 balls.

• edited July 2023

No worries @YorkshireBlue However, there is nothing worse than going to a ground (that looks stunning on a sunny summer's day), in the middle of nowhere, without a local shop and then getting sandwiches and cakes of a really weird flavours. I've had one where someone tried doing Peanut butter and Jelly (our type of jelly) sandwiches. By the time it came to serving them, the jelly was half water, bread was destroyed and the peanut butter was awful!

• About 10 years ago when I was still playing, we played a team in Aylesbury, 10 minutes before tea was due Dominoes turned up and delivered 6 pizzas and 4 bottles of Coke, then one of the players got a massive multi bag of crisps out of his boot... that was our tea ! On the flip side you used to go to some sides ( you always knew who they would be) and the teas were incredible

• Very frustrating bowling against the tail. There was a time when you would rough em up knowing they would be bowling soon. Not give a chances for sixes for a number 10

• Very frustrating that. Though tbf that lad Murphy looks better than a number 10

• Good batting performance from England this afternoon. And Ali will be able to bat if called for. Think I saw him padded up about half an hour ago.

Don’t think there’ll be a declaration today. Could be 450 or thereabouts by close of play.

• Whoops! Sorry, I’ve just got Root out.🙁