Skip to content

The Ashes

Comments

• Chris has had Bargey on toast here, well done sir

• There was me thinking everyone was having an in depth conversation about the selection of the squad for this week's game

• Looks like my grammar school education paid off.

But in all seriousness, it isn’t any innate intellect that meant I passed the 11+, it’s growing up in a middle-class household with teachers for parents, being encouraged to read, doing things like taking part in family board games, spending my early life effectively preparing me to take the test.

The 11+ benefits the middle class and entrenches inequality along class lines.

• there is no doubt that having parents (often but not exclusively middle class) that encourage their child’s education.

it would be interesting to know whether educational outcomes for kids of equivalent background and intelligence fare materially better or worse at a grammar school compared to a comp.

incidentally in these days of increasing sex equality in the workplace but grammar schools largely remaining single sex, I wonder if any academic benefit from grammar schools is now offset by not being “trained” to live and work with the opposite sex

• My grammar school was coeducational.

• To be fair their content is EXACTLY the sort of narrow-minded, arrogant, blinkered ramblings I would expect from a small claims lawyer.

But I also remain convinced that they are a brilliantly observed parody.

(Whilst retaining the depressing feeling that there are indeed people like that out there)

• Not unknown but rare at least until sixth form and even then heavily skewed one way or other.

in my view single sex schools should be abolished.

• Agreed

• We're not back to this spoof / parody nonsense again are we?

I've posted enough information on several occasions for anyone to find out my real name and background. And as I'm sure @drcongo can confirm, it all matches with my one and only registered email address.

Narrow minded, blinkered and arrogant? In my view, that is an exact description of the many Dave Sparts on here, who don't like facts which don't conform to their prejudices.

• Yep. We are.

I don't doubt that you are a real person. I also don't doubt that you are a parody. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Others may not find you amusing but I certainly do (also depressing but I can live with that). You add to the rich tapestry of life in the Gasroom (although well out of order over the spat with @ChasHarps - but then would expect nothing less from your character) and it all helps pass the time until the season starts.

• LX1LX1
    edited July 2023

There's no rich tapestry.

It's a public school tosser who cannot debate.

It is important that intelligence wins and spoofers fail.

• edited July 2023

Oh. And if you want an example of why I find your character presented on here so arrogant and tone deaf I will refer you to the offer you made to buy tickets to the open day for those who waived their season ticket refund.

it demonstrates perfectly the entitlement and arrogance that you typify regularly with the notion that you can just pay for what you want.

You (or your character) also clearly lack any degree of emotional intelligence to realise that is incredibly insulting to many people for whom the waiver was a genuine sacrifice.

So, nothing personal, but for me your character is beneath contempt.

• Sorry as a (Aylesbury) grammar school (part) educated son of a bank manager if I am conforming to your prejudices

• LX1LX1
    edited July 2023

Got the details.of this can't @drcongo ?

• And apologies to everyone else on the Gasroom for my rant and rudeness. Inappropriate and I should know better than let myself be wound up by it. Long day at work and needed to let off steam…

• LX1LX1
    edited July 2023

Been found out @bargepole

Intelligence wins

Gutter scum

• The Gasroom has never needed a meaningful game of football more. Wild stuff on this thread.

• hang on a minute guys

one of the joys of this forum compared to many others online is (with one or two exceptions) it’s relative civility.

i don’t agree with @bargepole political views in general but I defend his right to express them every bit as much as someone who I do agree with.

it’s perfectly possible to argue a case for grammar schools as a tool for much needed social mobility in our country. It’s the path I followed from a working class background albeit being lucky to have had great parents. not sure now on balance I support them but there is an arguable case for them.

let’s not slip down the personal abuse road for those we dont agree with.

• Christ I hope it doesn't rain this weekend!!!

• Well said @DevC

Some of our regulars need a bit more variety in their social circle.

• If this is all a wild experiment to show everyone that you can have money and education and still be obnoxious then it's fairly well constructed and getting a lot of bites. A fair number of posters not doing themselves any favours on this thread and previous, Partly in response to fairly clear baiting but then going overboard and flinging cliches around. Hard to have too much sympathy for certain posters after the sheer range of stick dished out to a wide variety of posters in such a short period. Ignore and mute probably better all round for the forum than insults but then I wouldn't want to be seen to be telling anyone else what to do.

• What utter drivel you post, and you stay up to the small hours to post it, and expect a response. I see very little evidence of intelligence in your postings.

Looks like you need to increase your dosage of Ritalin.

• A parody of what, exactly? Or do you believe that everyone in the Gasroom must be left-leaning, and it's inconceivable that anyone could hold a different view, ergo anyone who does so must be another Gasroom poster with a separate account, having a wind-up?

If so, you couldn't be more wrong. And, if you're coming to the meet up in London on Thursday week, I'll prove it.

• @floyd @DevC @StrongestTeam

My thanks all. Helpful perspectives and grounding.

And apologies @bargepole - I have strayed into personal abuse territory which is just plain wrong.

if I do make it down to London next week I will buy you a beer

• LX's late night postings are the stuff of Gasroom legend. This is one way to challenge the highest number of downvotes.

• FWIW, since the question was kind of asked a while back.

About 25 years ago I did have reason to research the benefits of grammar school versus comprehensive school in relation to academic outcomes for children on the boarderline for passing/not passing the 11+.

There was a surprising amount of evidence to suggest that those kids passing the 11+ but not actually being very capable (i.e. only just passing) did significantly worse academically, in the long term, that those at the top in the comprehensive school (i.e. only just failing the 11+).

So, far from benefitting their children by hot housing them to pass the 11+, some parents were not only wasting money but also disadvantaging their children's education especially if the child was on the borderline.

It's also I believe much closer to 15% than 25% of children who are selected for grammar schools.

For the avoidance of doubt I was educated at the RHS - very many years ago.

• edited July 2023

I am using parody in similar terms to this (random but first google search) definition:

“an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect.”

More than happy to accept that I am wrong but it is a perfectly valid response to your posting style to conclude that they are an exaggeration of a right-wing viewpoint (which may or may not be similar to your own) used for comic (or wind up) effect.

• @bookertease And what about those exaggerate the left-wing viewpoint?

• Good point. If @ChasHarps came on here as a new poster I’d probably be saying similar (albeit agreeing more).