Skip to content

Match day thread: Aldershot

Comments

• 2-0 Essandoh*

• It would be interesting to see whether the foul in the build-up to the second goal is as blatant as it sounds from the commentary.

• 2-1 to the choirboys according to the commentator

• Choirboys 2-1 The Shits

• Thanks @perfidious_albion for pointing me towards a link provided by @Vital. I’ve only just seen your post but I found Radio Surrey on DAB and they went over from time to time with brief reports.

One thing that troubled me was a reference to an Aldershot striker (a trialist from Sudbury Town, I think) who Wycombe could only stop (so the reporter said) by fouling him. Five times, apparently. Be interesting to hear if our fans at the match saw him in the same light.

• Is it just the angle, or does the hairline on trialist D make him look maybe a little older than the average trialist just released from a youth set-up?

• Blooms says some players ‘might not play any minutes in pre-season,’ due to injury.

• Interesting, and obviously concerning, to see Matt commenting on our pre-season injury woes.

Unless I’m wrong there’s been no sign of Wheeler, Vokes, Scowen, Forino or McCarthy in pre-season so far. While Grimmer and Hanlan were seemingly not available today.

Also no mention of Ward or Woodhouse so far but that may just be because they’re further down the pecking order.

Tough for Matt, albeit it’s a chance for a few others to put their hand up.

• Tbf I went to sixth form with someone who had a huge beard and receding hairline by the time he was 18. Already looked about 38 though.

• Voakes will be kept off the grass. He has knee impact issues on pre season pitches (big unit / hard ground). At least all this rain we’ve been having should give him a better early season than last year.

• edited July 2023

D'manis goal looked reminiscent of the goals he was scoring in his show reels online before we signed him. Picking up the ball and running through defenders and neatly slotting it in.... mehmetiesque if you will..

In the limited game time he had with us before going out on loan, he was having to try to adapt to having balls lumped over the top in his general direction and hoping he made his way to it. I don't think that is the way he is used to playing or best played.... hes not a big number 9 type of player.

I really hope he pushes on this year and we can get it into his feet more and let him play with a little freedom. He's not there yet.... but he could well be our next Mehmeti

He was bought up through the ranks of a top team so obviously he has potential.

Seems like a genuinely lovely character too.. so I wish him every success this season.

• So many injuries. Vokes not having a pre-season again. Really unlucky start to the year.

And some of the youngsters many of us had hopes for not around

Let’s see what Tuesday brings.

• Back to back "Most certainly so's" in MB's post game interview today. He is bringing the heat! Hopefully the team can follow his lead.

• One of Ainsworth’s few failings was his stubbornness. Apart from never making a sub before 70 minutes he would stick with a style regardless of available players. Players had to adapt to us rather than the other way round. Possibly leading to players like AAH2.0 and Kaikai not delivering when they should. Hopefully MB will look at players like Mellor and Tjay make a style to suit them if Vokes isn’t playing.

• edited July 2023

Looks like it's all going well.

• Do other clubs consistently lose this many starters in pre-season? Eventually we’ve got to examine the way we approach training in July.

• Interesting player to watch. Showed some nice target man play and linked the play when he came on, but there were also a few misplaced passes too.

Tetek looked tidy, although he gave the ball away for the second goal but once he was in the groove, he passed and worked well in the team.

Other highlights include a promising performance by Low, a good Young cameo where he played well and thought Mellor showed some good touches and put himself in some positive attacking positions. Far too early to judge anything seriously but was a good run out against a reasonably solid Aldershot side and the playing relationships will come with more game time.

• How did JJ do in midfield.

Ive always wondered whether he could play that role as he got older given he has all the attributes to.

• When we beat Exeter in 2 weeks time we'll know it's going well when "They played beautiful football with a spirit of fair play and I would love to watch that every week" appears on their forum

• You wonder if Forino is being kept out of things due to an imminent sale, but maybe more niggly injuries that have been so frequent.

Scowen and Vokes being out is worrying, arguably the first names on the sheet.

• Yes you can imagine Vokes being handled with kid gloves in pre-season and then showing up for the Cardiff game and all being fine.

The Scowen injury is a bit worrying and maybe explains the interest in Tetek and JJ playing as a holding midfielder today.

Fingers crossed he’s ok.

• On the Shots forum, someone has posted ''Wycombe players are big and strong, and very physical... doesn't look like a 'friendly'.'' Sounds good to me, just what we need.

Apparently 120 Chairboys fans turned up for this one. Well done to you all.

• Scowen strikes me as a player who could miss preseason and still come out all guns blazing. It’s worrying about Vokes, especially since he attributed his poor form last season to a disjointed preseason.

• I thought I read or heard somewhere that Scowen was I’ll not injured?

• I thought I heard that at the Awards ceremony a fortnight ago.

• News that Voakes has developed this habit in the first place is most concerning to me. I guess if used responsibly it could help with the pain.