Skip to content

Match day thread: Morcambe

Comments

• edited April 2023

There's a lot to unpick from this post.

Firstly, Vokes has scored 21 in a season before, and in the championship too. He's also had a 16 goal championship season and a 12 goal Premier league season. Not every striker has the ability to do that, especially in a fairly middling outfit.

It shouldn't need saying, but I'll say it anyway, goals are a lot harder to come by the higher up you go.

If he'd played all of his career in league 1 or 2, chances are he'd have been hitting 20 plus each season.

We all loved Bayo, but Vokes is in a different class. He scored 16 league 1 goals last season. Bayo scored 17 across 2 full seasons.

This season has been difficult for numerous reasons.

While Al Hamadi scoring in league 2 is noticeable, it really is quite a step down in level. He may be able to score as many higher up one day, or he may simply as they say, have found his level. Which most of us do in all aspects of life.

• Vokes also scored one of the most famous goals in Welsh history in the quarters of Euro 2016, which, though not evidence of consistent scoring in itself, still makes me pinch myself that he is wearing our quarters. Perhaps he just loves quarters of anything!

• When and where did Vokes score 21 in a single season?
    • You’re right. It doesn’t need saying.
    • I didn’t say or imply that Sam and Bayo were in the same class. I simply relayed something another fan mentioned plus my own observation about his value as a defender at corners and set pieces.
    • Al Hamadi hardly got a decent crack of the whip.
    • I’ve not mentioned Pattison for a very long time. I was positive about him for a while and I don’t see the harm in that. I always try to see the good in people.
  • Vokes is a good player who lifts the team in my opinion. I agree Hanlan would work well with him in a front two. Hanlan is not a centre forward in my view. If you're going to play someone down the middle in the abscence of a 'proper' CF, it should be Wheeler (good in the air and who has at least has had some experience doing it) or TJ. Pleased to see Vokesy back to fire us into the play-offs.

• Shame he didn’t lift them on Saturday.

• oh @micra you being continually underwhelmed by Vokes is a source of great personal sadness. For me, like Bayo, he's one of the best players we've had at the club in the last ten years.

• To be fair, Vokes had two ridiculously normal goals ruled out earlier in the season, so to my mind he is really at 8 goals (as far as the standard of his finishing) in an injury-riddled reason, which is not bad.

• edited April 2023

Check this out https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Vokes

2013/14 championship.

• It's probably one of the most upsetting things I've ever encountered on here.

Like hearing your favourite player loves Steve Baker or something.

• You were accused of being anti Vokes the other day, something you were quite put out by, you're not doing a very good job of hiding it.

• I was quite upset when I saw Garath McCleary liking Matt 'Tinfoil' Le Tissier's vaccine nonsense tweets

• edited April 2023

Crikey! That’s some response!

Even the Gasroom software has turned against me. I followed that opening phrase with my reaction to some of the responses to my earlier posts but, after leaving the tab to check a spelling, I found that my whole spiel had disappeared.

Basically, I must apologise for having unintentionally upset so many Gasroomers but I can only express what I see and, if (as so many seem to be saying/implying) I am missing something that others are clearly seeing, I can’t do anything about that without being dishonest. I am nothing if not sincere and I hope that comes across.

I get no pleasure from expressing what is clearly a minority (if not unique) opinion about what Sam Vokes brings to the table. Believe me, I would love to see what it is that makes so many Gasroomers regard his retention as of paramount importance.

I know that @eric_plant tends to see things in black and white but to suggest Sam Vokes is the finest centre forward we’ve ever had seems risible.

• He’s head and shoulders above any striker we have had before.

He played 113 times in the Premier League and 61 times for Wales and joined us at the relatively tender age of 31.

He’s been a joy to watch and I hope he’s still here next season.

• Surprised to see so few comments about Mehmeti. He carried us for months. He was our only real danger almost every game. If you take out the goals where he had beat 3-4 defenders before scoring then imagine how much worse off we would have been!

• edited April 2023

Good points. It would be hard to rank the most significant derailers of the season, but some highlights:

1. Mehmeti is sold.
    2. GA and Dobbo leave.
    3. Alfie retires.
    4. Scowen is injured.
    5. Vokes is injured.
    6. We play the first four games without a L1 standard goalkeeper.
    7. GMac is injured.
    8. Referees disallow perfectly good Vokes goals against Cambridge and Morecambe, leading to 1 point instead of 6.
    9. Curtis is injured.
    10. Gape is injured.
    11. Taffs is injured.

We are doing very well to be in the top 8-9!

• I'm not sure point 11 is much of a derailing factor - that's his default state

• Clearly it's relative to the era but I'd say Keith Searle.

• Alex Jakubiak 🦆

• I am not anti any player; there is a distinction between being anti and being disappointed with a player who, to my untutored eyes,has rarely lived up to his star billing this season. The fact that he is probably one of the most highly paid players in the squad must also be taken into account. There may be others who share my disappointment but are reluctant to rock the boat.

Interestingly, I am having difficulty in thinking of any other big centre forwards, apart from Mooney, Rammell (? spelling), Keith Searle and Keith Scott, none of whom (apart perhaps from Scott at Reading?) have played at the top level, domestically or internationally. On that basis, @eric_plant has a point. But that is comparing careers. My comments relate only to this season.

I shall make no further comments about Big Sam for the rest of the season. Is that a deal?

• edited April 2023

I'd probably switch 1 & 2 around, as Gaz and Dobbo left us on a winning run, after Mehmeti had gone. They'd found a magical way without him, albeit a short period of evidence.

However, that is some list. Every team has injuries but not every club loses the best attacking mid and best defender in the same couple of weeks. Then lose their all time best management team.

• @micra I think Keith Scott's Premier League experience was with Swindon rather than Reading... However, it's easy to be confused when he hopped around 20 or so clubs in his 'journeyman' career!

My view on Vokes... He's massive for our club. Unfortunately this season has been bookended by injury absence. Just before his second injury he was showing signs of really hitting form, both in the air, and on the deck - and as @Shev rightly points out he has had two perfectly good goals chalked off by mystery decisions. Like everyone else in the squad, he's a totally ego-less, hard-working professional, and 100% team player. So even if he's not statistically having his best season, there's no real need single him out, imho.

• edited April 2023

Sam’s personal qualities and total commitment have never been in doubt @LeedsBlue which is why it hurts me to be described as anti Vokes. That is a very personal thing and has no bearing whatsoever on my feelings of disappointment at what I see as his underachievement *this season* (underlined, don’t know how to do it!).

• Some list and doesn't even include Obita and Forino's time out, forcing Grimmer and JJ to cover.

Wether the squad was strong enough or we were just unlucky is one for Rob tbh if you take his big declarations at all seriously (probably not wise to do so)

• Personally I would love to seem Vokes and Tafazoli here next season, but it can't be at all costs and both players due to injuries have not delivered this season. Not through lack of effort, not due to lack of commitment, they are both great guys and totally Wycombeized. But it's a hell of a roll of the dice to sign two of our highest paid players in our history (I would guess) and then this time next year Vokes has 6 goals and Tafazoli has completed 50% of appearances as his historical par.

• The silly little dream of Taf actually being available for half of the games!

• If even half of Shev's list didn't happen, I think even the biggest downer would say we'd be in the playoffs.

• Was that Scottish guy who managed us ever capped? I think i heard someone say once that he's won a European Cup