Skip to content

Derby (H) - Build Up Thread

124»

Comments

• Should read “I’d have thought you’ve spent enough time on this forum……..” !!

Just practising my art. @bookertease will forgive me.

• You can’t run rings around Wycombe fans. Let alone Wycombe players.

• Maybe…

But I think what I said was grammatically correct (and as intended) substituting “you’d”for “you would,” which I think was acceptable? Maybe?

But I bow to your overall mastery of the art @micra

• You'll be telling us next that Gareth is playing the media game, when every week he tells the BFP that our next opposition manager is doing a "fantastic job".

They can't all be doing!

• edited February 2023

My favourite recent one was Arnaut Danjuma saying joining Spurs was a no-brainer - barely 48 hours after he'd completed a medical at Everton. Unless he was actually just being brutally honest...

• I always find the term "no-brainer" funny anyway, as it can be taken either way.

By the way, Danny Senda on co-comms again tomorrow. The first big boost of the weekend!

• Perfectly grammatically correct. I was just suggesting that he definitely had spent long enough on the Gasroom etc, whereas your wording implied “you would have thought that he’d had long enough”.

Something like that but, in truth, all I was doing was cheekily using your comment as a convenient means of injecting a dose of confirmation bias into @Raminpeace’s belief that certain Gasroomers have created an art-form out of their pedantry. Something like that.

• Nah, 1st big boost was the mention by @TheAndyGrahamFanClub that funky elephant were in attendance! 😛

• I would be worried about retaining my "vision" if I signed for any team managed by Joey Barton!

• Predicting today's attendance

Looks like we won't have a record attendance for "one of the most eagerly anticipated games of the season", but we can have a record number of entries for the attendance prediction game. Anyone can enter. If you are close you will be mention in the round up post later in the week and a notification on the @drcongo's bell sign if you have that turned on.

I am reckoning on an all time Predicting Champions Hall of Fame for both individual games and the season length competition. A spot on or very close prediction will be on there.

@Raminpeace - I believe that you already have the title of most welcome opposition supporter on the Gasroom, you can be the only opposition fan to post a home and away prediction!

The prediction thread for the attendance should be easy to find near the top at the moment.

• Apologies for dredging up this old thread, but given Raminpeace's ridiculous claim of "ABSOLUTELY NO AGENT FEES PAID this season or we'd be in more trouble with the EFL" he may want to take a look at the recently released agent fees for League 1. Derby spent over £1 Million, with only Ipswich coming anywhere close to them at over £800K.

I see Derby have released a statement claiming most of the spending is historic and the true figure is closer to £250K, which is still over double of what Wycombe paid after nearly a decade of careful financial recovery.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FskFI6hWAA44yP3?format=jpg&name=medium

• That was a surprise to me too. Both the club and the EFL had said no transfer, loan or agent's fees. It was those two organisations putting that out there in press statements the led me to believe it. So, not my claim, merely repeating DCFC/EFL comments.

If there is anything untoward, I would expect the EFL to take punitive action, and quite right too. Historic payments are understandable. Anything above that needs explaining. That or DCFC/EFL need to explain the exact wording of their "no fees" statements and/or the exact wording in the "business plan". Otherwise fans of all clubs, not just DCFC, won't be able to fathom why the figures are what they are. Nor could they fathom why the payments were made. I'm as much at a loss to understand the issue as Croider.

What payments were made? To whom? Why? Do they fall within the remit of the business plan? If not, why not?

More questions than answers I'm afraid.

• This may provide some clarity but it could also confuse... taken from the Derby Telegraph.

QUOTE Derby said in a statement: "The club notes the publication of intermediary fees from February 1, 2022 - January 31, 2023.

"It should be pointed out that circa £760,000 of Derby County's published fees of £1.06million consists of historic debt accrued up until the point when the club entered into administration and also those falling due during the period of administration.

"On exiting administration, those debts were repaid by Clowes Developments (UK) Ltd. Ergo, not by DCFC

"In accordance with the EFL business plan, the club is only permitted to pay a maximum of five per cent in intermediary fees on any transfers. The actual figure paid on non-historic intermediary fees is circa £250,000."

The £250,000 that Derby spent on agents' fees last summer puts them in line with the likes of fellow League One clubs Barnsley, Charlton, Peterborough and Lincoln City.

UNQUOTE

1. The comments from DCFC/EFL on agent's fees were incorrect. They are permitted but there's a ceiling to them of 5% on any transfers.
    2. As we aren't allowed to pay transfer or loan fees, 5% of nothing is nothing. Or is that 5% of the player's wage that gets paid?
    3. If 2. above is the "reason", surely, the agent is employed by/represents the player so he should pay the agent not the club. IMO this logic should apply to all agent's fees, not just at Derby.
    4. Was that £250K paid by DCFC or by Clowes Development?
    5. Are any of the payments made outside of the business plan? If so, we will, quite rightly, be in trouble.
  • Here is a list of the transactions. Eighteen, yes 18 involve New Registrations and agents fees or other fees have been involved.

I can see a points deduction incoming.

https://www.thefa.com/news/2023/mar/31/publication-of-payments-and-transactions-310323

• edited April 2023

Some interesting ‘updated contracts’ in the Wycombe list.

• Are they allowed to pay signing on fees to players? Likely to be to do with that rather than wages, could also be some kind of finders fee.

• Thanks for posting that, very interesting. I’m trying to work out how Bolton spent nearly a quarter of a million on agents fees and some of the amounts lower down the scale like Stockport, Oldham and Wrexham also make for interesting reading. The PL figures are just crazy but we know that anyway and despite the riches if you get there it just shows how much it costs to stay there? Despite what you believe Raminpeace I suspect the club might have some further explaining to do? The most annoying thing is that whilst it’s the players who “employ” the agent I believe it’s the club who has to pay the fees!! Nice work if you can get it eh? 🤨

• @Raminpeace said:

Both the club and the EFL had said no transfer, loan or agent's fees. It was those two organisations putting that out there in press statements the led me to believe it.

Believing what Wayne Rooney's Derby County™ says is what got you into this mess in the first place.

• This wasn't Wayne Rooney's DCFC. This was both the club and the EFL after David Clowes saved the club.

If you'd read my post properly and actually understood it, rather than trying on some dumbass "I can try (and fail) to be clever/amusing here" approach, you would have known that I wrote that if there's any wrong doing we will, quite rightly, be in trouble. Plus we were in a mess before Rooney arrived and nothing he did, made it worse. Transfer embargo, wages cap etc etc.

I'm just happy that most of the posters on here are decent folk unlike one or two who are intent on a sneer.

• I don't know @StrongestTeam . Both the club and the EFL said no agent's fees. We all took that to be what it says. Apparently it isn't.

If we've done wrong, we'll pay for it and rightly so.

• Not sure about that, I doubt the EFL would publish this and then rely on fans of other clubs to point and question. Sounds like it was just more blarney at the time.

Don't need to labour the point but it's fairly obvious to people outside of Derby that the amount of debt / tax relief required in order to allow the club to continue to operate was heavily overstated.