Skip to content

QPR sack Neil Critchley, let the rumours begin.

Comments

• Best of luck to Gareth if he does leave, he’s done a fantastic job and deserves a crack at a higher level.

The bit I find really galling is that the QPR fans don’t even want him, ‘clueless appointment’, ‘step backwards’ etc etc

It’s like you want to shake them, as they have no idea what they’re getting.

• If @thecatwwfc is correct I would hazard a guess Dobbo has the same view of the insanity that is QPR that I do, namely why work for an organisation that is a gnats chuff away from another financial crisis & possible points penalty, that appears to be in utter chaos behind the scenes & has a scouting system & DoF that seem to be incapable of bringing in players who want to give their all for the club

• Please be true, please be true, please be true!

For where we are heading and potentially back to the days of old, then Dobbo staying would be magnificent. I'd love GA to stay as well. However, if we had to lose one then I think the new GA would be easier to find than the new Dobbo albeit incredibly difficult at the same time.

• edited February 2023

It's about as close to a win as possible if GA does leave. We strengthen links with QPR for loans, transfers, etc. When we finally sell Forino they overpay for him. Dobbo gets us promoted and a friendly rivalry is born. In the year 2025 Bloomfield joins the fun as Ipswich manager, and the Club Culture Cup is conceived.

• On a serious note, Dobbo has a family too, and it is a huge risk for him too. The conversations between he and GA must have been very emotionally fraught.

• Maybe Dobbo will actually get his own Wikipedia page if hired. He deserves more respect from the world at large either way!

• Dobbo started here in 2007/08 with the academy/youth team. 16 seasons later, he's still here. Here's to the next 16 seasons! Will take him nicely to 65 and retirement!

• (clears throat) "There's only one Richard Dobson, one Richard Dobson...."

• That would be absolutely brilliant if Dobbo stays. Maybe Alfie can work alongside him and MON as Director of Football and we would have the compensation payment to cover the extra costs if there are any.

• Dobbo was the man on the sidelines for our first ever Champo win. A foreshadowing?

It is very sad to think of the two of them breaking up, but maybe the time has come in more ways than one. I love GA down to his snakeskin boots, and will wish him nothing but the best not just in football but also in life - but keeping Dobbo would ease the pain a significant amount, speaking selfishly as a fan.

• If all that is really true than I think Gareth has to take the QPR job now. If he doesn't, then Dobbo may (even only subconsciously) feel that Gareth has unfairly deprived him of perhaps his only chance of managing a league team. This could affect their working relationship going forward.

I know I will receive masses of thumbs down, but if Dobbo really wants the job I feel now in the interests of all parties its time for the parting of the ways. JJ could then perhaps take on the assistant coach role. Again this is subject to the accuracy of @thecatwwfc's information.

• Plymouth have done alright since Ryan Lowe left and Steven Schumacher stayed put...

• This is roughly what I had guessed was going on (with absolutely no insider knowledge), as it fits the timings of the various stories coming out.

• I agree, and it could work both ways too if GA stays - he could feel he missed out on QPR because of Dobbo too. Whichever way you cut it, it could cause some awkwardness.

• edited February 2023

JJ is still too much of a key player to be taking on a coaching role. Hasn't he been studying something law/business-y anyway? I don't think he wants to go into management. Alfie maybe?

• Wycombe Wand'rers we are the best

Wycombe Wand'rers we'll show the rest

We've got Rob C for owner

We've got Richard Dobsin (ahem)

We're Wycombe Wand'rers and we're gonna win.

Here we come Here we come here we come

Wycombe Wand'rers Number One

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/sounds/index.htm

• Having said that... Ben Mee was co-caretaker at Burnley last season after Dyche left, so I suppose it's possible.

• If GA goes on a 3 year deal on a shit load of money and gets fired after week 12 he gets a big payoff. Ego dented. Bank balance boosted. If Dobbo goes as number 2 he gets no such bank boost. It’s a situation I can see playing out with QPR being unstable. Theirs ambition and throwing yourself into a lions den.

• Accountancy if I remember correctly. He's far too interesting to be an accountant though.

• If it's true and that's how it all plays out the @thecatwwfc is the undisputed king/queen of the Gasroom. Absolutely world class performance in recent weeks

Come on Gaz, don't ignore that nagging doubt, that feeling in the pit of your stomach....you are so close to immortality now to throw it away

You have the opportunity now to do something that very very few even get close to. To build an empire, to be mentioned in the same breath as Shankly and Ferguson. That is rarified air to breathe.

You've been through too much, you've invested too much to walk away now. Stay, and fulfill your destiny

• edited February 2023

I think someone as confident as GA will always bet on himself, though. He has always been honest about his ambitions and he has given us everything. I want him to stay, but if he feels it is time, I can't begrudge him and hope he is a roaring success there, apart from Dobbo's Wycombe doing the double over QPR, including the title decider.

• "We've got Gareth Ainsworth and Dobbo's number 2" on repeat. It's happening. Momentum building. Believe!

It really is impossible to do anything else at the minute...god I love this club!

• edited February 2023

People talk about destiny and whatnot, what else does Gaz have to achieve here? He'd be more than entitled to think his work is done. He's our greatest manager of all time without doubt. A bona fide legend. He owes us nothing more.

• Spot on. @thecatwwfc has rocketed in credibility so quickly. Cat, be prepared to be inundated with questions every time there is anything of note happening around the club!

• Not sure if Miriam Payne posts on here, but on Twitter she is talking about a rumour from a source in the club which has her excited. Someone replied they have heard the same rumour, and that it is "time to put a skirt on, get some whiskey and wave some blue flags about." Sounds like a reference to Scotland if ever I heard one!

• Derek Adams??

• I’m sure he’s been training to be a Financial Adviser.

• Jack Grimmer as player-manager. You heard it here first. At least we know the players would always hear him shouting from the sidelines!