Skip to content

QPR sack Neil Critchley, let the rumours begin.

Comments

• That doesn't need to happen, they are two of the nicest, most respectful people you're ever likely to meet, they aren't natural partners, they've made a great relationship based on respect for what the other party brings. They would have had a good discussion with gratitude for any opportunity.

• So is the Holden talk rubbish or is this QPR quickly thinking of a Plan B in case Gareth turns them down?

• edited February 2023

It sounds like it was Talksport doing Talksport things.

Not saying they are last to the story, but they did just announce the Coliseum Chariot results from 78 AD.

• Agreed - it borders on attention seeking to claim to be ITK via a magical grapevine but at the same time being unable to share any details. You’d be better off just not saying anything and letting it come out naturally.

I also wonder who within the club is the BFP’s source, and Talksport’s for that matter.

• I dunno, they have always been equal members of the club in their time working together, this might be the first (& last) divide that cracks this relationship

• If Dobson refuses to go I think Ainsworth will also stay. He's always said he relies on Dobson for tactics. There's no way he'd go into a pressure cooker like QPR where he'll be on probation from day one without knowing he's got a tactician he can trust going with him.

Either they both go tomorrow when QPR up their offer or they both stay.

I obviously stand to be proven wrong in a few hours time!

• Could always get Gerrard and Lampard in as a combo! Oh no hang on they never worked well together did they

• Pretty much agree. I’d be really shocked if GA does take to job without Dobbo. I also think that QPR have put themselves in a position where they NEED to get GA in at any cost to a pile looking even more clueless than they already appear.

• A fair point, but would Ainsworth slink back to Wycombe with his tail between his legs if he was keen to go and only Dobbo was unwilling? He is a confident chap, and with the Dobbo news being out there, it might be an awkward admission of not being brave enough to bet on himself without Dobbo?

There are just so many moving pieces here. Two amazing blokes who work well together, but may have just come to the point where they can both take a step up. It would not be the first time this type of dynamic has resulted in a parting of the ways, and I am sure they will be firm friends for life either way.

• It’s going to be either Dobbo, Alfie and Sam Grace or MoN, Dobbo and Alfie till the end of the season then evaluate isn’t it?

• I don't even live over there and the BFP is hilarious.

Headline: "Wycombe provide brief comment on Ainsworth's potential move to QPR"

Wycombe's 'Brief Comment':  ‘the club do not comment on speculation’

Yes, the BFP literally reported a 'No comment' as a comment.

• They don't have to make clickbait out of every single scrap 😂

'Wycombe refuse to be drawn on Ainsworth QPR speculation' would have been fine, albeit tough to hit a reasonable word count.

• "Coincidentally, Ainsworth’s first match in charge of QPR will be against his hometown club and boyhood team, Blackburn Rovers, at Loftus Road this weekend."

Oh, it's a done deal then?

• Woke up (+4 GMT here) having dreamed of the 1971 movie Get Carter but with Michael Caine replaced by a cat. Not sure what this means about our current situation except it's clearly driven me insane. I doubt I'm alone.

• While this is great, if Gaz ends up staying, will the pair of them always have a bit of resentment to the other? Hope not!

And does Dobbo have a particular problem with QPR? Or any move. If so and Gareth needs him, then that rules out any other move surely?

• I'm sure I read somewhere that Dobbo is a QPR fan, and used to have a season ticket as a youngster

• Sorry but the BFP guys reporting is absolutely shocking. Outside of matchday it appears no more than scouring the Gasroom and the wider internet for rumours then bunging together a quick bit of click bait.

I actually don’t even click on his headlines anymore because it’s become so predictable what the actual content will be.

• Wide awake an hour early wondering what could be a hugely significant day for our great club.

if reports of Dobbo staying are true I can see a situation where one of the senior players or ideally Alfie act as assistant until the end of the season at least. Alfie could well still being paid until July?

interesting how many of the back room staff would chance Gaz still being in a job next year and going with him.

Although gutted with the thought of Gaz going I feel mildly excited this morning. I think I do anyway!!!

• Just zero creativity, recycling content that’s already online to get clicks for ad revenue.

The BFP could be producing some nice original content here, for example:

1) Top 10 WWFC performances under GA

2) Top 10 GA signings

3) Main challenges facing GA if he were to go to QPR

All of these articles I’d be far more likely to read than a single quote and a few paragraphs of filler.

• Assume the BFP is still part of Newsquest?

Yesterday leaked emails from their senior management ordered their journalists to tweet stories about an upcoming Lancashire Police press conference but containing links to Newsquest’s True Crime YouTube channel.

They even requested that they do this from any personal accounts.

Sadly, mining the internet and being 1,000th with the story, while publishing ‘warnings’ from Martin Lewis, is all they’ve got left. Does anyone other than your elderly parents (or grandparents) actually buy the BFP?

• Hopefully there is a last minute hitch. But I wonder if Ainsworth and Dobson just want to tell the players in person they're leaving rather than them hearing the news through social media.

• As one period in our clubs great history closes another one is set to open. We are used to embracing change at our club.

The 10 year or so period that Gareth has been in charge as mainly been pretty positive. I am sure most of us remember that final day of the season down at Torquay all those years ago where we travelled to, pretty much expecting it to be our very last in the football league. Fair play to GA he never gave up but it is also fair to say that he was very much cutting his teeth as a manager during that season and may well have gone before that final day outcome had the club had money at the time.

However, we all know the outcome of that historic match and the next season was the real dawn of the Ainsworth restructuring when he brought in a number of excellent players on a shoe string budget, players such as JJ, Alfie etc etc. We suddenly became a team competing at the top of league two. Two promotions and three play-off finals later and we are now a successful league one side with excellent players and competing once again for promotion.

If he goes, the journey as been amazing and he deserves his chance.

Change will bring another exciting paragraph and if Dobbo stays with someone else assisting then that certainly excites me and will keep us on track to keep pushing forward at this level.

COME ON YOU BLUES!!!!

• Although a lot of it is clickbait initially the added focus he brought to the club was quite welcome, I think yesterday's attempt at an article was just a bit much, if he wants to actually be a reporter that is trusted in any way he won't want people ignoring his stuff after multiple journeys for nothing.

• Selfishly I want Gareth to stay, but, if he himself wants to go, then I hope he goes... never have any regrets !