Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• I can't stop thinking about this statue now. I hope it depicts Rooney dipping his hand into a nurse's pocket.

A quick web search of the name "Garry McBride", whose idea this apparently was, reveals that he's the owner of a company that makes statues and he seems to have form for jumping on anything in the public consciousness that could get his company mentioned in the paper. I hope he invoices them when it's finished.

• To be fair though, his statues are pretty good. Which is a shame as I'd love to have seen one of Rooney by the same person who did the Ronaldo statue.

• If it’s as big as The Dream in St Helens that would be quite some sight.

• Well if they can afford a statue, then surely they should be putting that towards the debt?

• Forest fans having a lot of fun with this...

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/nottingham-forest-derby-rooney-statue-6601090

@OptimisticNFFC: So #DCFC want to erect a bust of @WayneRooney outside Pride Park. Firstly, CRINGINGLY HILARIOUS! But more importantly, am I the only one who thinks "BUST" is probably a word that #DCFCfans are sick of hearing right now? #NFFC

@JoeATimmins: what an absolute joke. Brian Clough would be turning in his grave #dcfc #nffc having said that a "bust" is quite apt for the situation they are in.

@halftimepies: Please just stop right now, I've pulled a muscle in my back today and laughing at this is just simply killing me!!! #nffc #dcfc

@dalesilvermate: #NFFC built a statue in Nottingham to honour Clough who won promotion to the top flight then the league the following year. Followed it by winning 2 European Cups. #DCFC want to build one for a manager who's about to relegate them to League One before extinction. Let that sink in

@KJMsport57: It’s not April the 1st is it? Good grief. #dcfc #nffc

@Fornah_Society: That’s it right there. It is now physically and legally impossible for any club in world football to have funnier rivals than Nottingham Forest. #nffc

• A statue for a guy who has managed them half a year / 3/4 of a year?
    Bizarre stuff.

• This is the most embarrassing part yet of this whole sorry saga. What a truly bizarre club, and deeply weird set of supporters.

• Exactly.

They've got no money, will pay many creditors no more than 25% of what they are owed. But happy to spank away a small fortunate on a monument to someone who is basically just doing the job he's paid very well to do.

I'd they wanted to erect a statue to a true hero, how about one to the doctor's & nurses in their local community who will have done far more than DCFC in the last 2 years.

• I would have thought Rooney should pay for his own statue.

My opinion of Rooney had risen over the last few months as he had worked really hard in such a difficult situation without considering jumping ship to Everton. However it has now plummeted again if he is so arrogant as to condone his statue being erected.

• I've heard the statue is gonna incorporate an image of Rooney skulking around a bingo club.

• @ChasHarps said:
    I've heard the statue is gonna incorporate an image of Rooney skulking around a bingo club.

Or in the line at the Job Centre when the 1st March arrives

• edited February 2022

Perhaps the could commission a sculpture in the shape of a crumpled can and relocate it a little further down the road outside the stadium every few weeks

• It really does bug me that DCFC in a Putinesque way thinks everyone else is the aggressor. Do they think that just because they play in white they are lillywhite clean! They harp on about a claim from us (and Borough) affecting their ability to be purchased yet they don't get it that not only have they cheated us out of a huge amount of money for a club like ours BUT they have also cheated us out of playing at least this season in the Championship (if not more to follow). Not playing in the Championship now is what is so gutting. That to me is the bigger issue. We apparently just have to shrug our shoulders and live with that whatever comes out of the claim. If they had any morals at the beginning of the season when EFL issued the swap in leagues they should have come clean and agreed to it. They didnt. As they apparently have been doing for so long now they decided to do whatever they could hook or by crook to retain their Championship position as long as they possibly could. I for one will always have a disdain and utter contempt for DCFC for what they have done.

• Middlesbrough have released their own statement regarding the one from the EFL last night.

If anyone wants to have a read: https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/mfc-response-to-efl-statement-on-derby-county

• Where's my microscope? Only way I'm going to find this violin.

• What about crowdfunding a monument to the St John's Ambulance who they had to crowdfund to pay off £8000 because Mel stiffed them?

• edited February 2022

Honestly, how in denial about the scale of the problem do you have to be to think that Wycombe dropping their claim would make the slightest meaningful difference?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Where's my microscope? Only way I'm going to find this violin.

Maybe we should pen an open letter to kindly do one with the faux victimhood and attempts to pull on the heart strings

• @Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Maybe we should pen an open letter to kindly do one with the faux victimhood and attempts to pull on the heart strings

But we have no heart, didn't you hear?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

So they have agreed a deal with the HMRC then?

Equally the administrators have been 'running' the club for months now and it seems their only 'play' is to hope that they stay up this year so that is some value to DCFC

The open letter on the Middlesbrough website is far more telling in my opinion. Don't blame us or them if the administrators won't speak to any of the parties.

No one wants to see Derby go out of business but I guarantee if the roles were reversed they wouldn't drop a potential action

• @BSE said:
    Middlesbrough have released their own statement regarding the one from the EFL last night.

If anyone wants to have a read: https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/mfc-response-to-efl-statement-on-derby-county

That's an excellent statement from Middlesbrough, it's feels like someone was an inch away from adding a few expletives in there too - so just the right tone.

• Middlesbrough's claim is absurd isn't it?

Don't think it's doing us any favours at all being lumped in together with them

• Totally agree @Twizz

It's getting to the point where you want someone in power to say to Derby

'Just fking pay up or fk off'

• @eric_plant said:
    Middlesbrough's claim is absurd isn't it?

If they're claiming for premiership TV money I think I agree with you

If they're claiming for the play off TV and gate money, then I can see why

That's never been in the public domain other than speculation though

• @eric_plant said:
    Middlesbrough's claim is absurd isn't it?

Right on both points I think...but they have been at it longer than us.
    Sadly, we have become the focus for fan anger rather than the longstanding crooked dealings.

• Anyone want to add to this open letter I'm writing to the Punjabi Rams? For context read the link above.

Dear Punjabi Rams,

I'm writing to you on behalf of the Gasroom a forum dedicated to Wycombe Wanderers Football Club and we're forever fearful of losing our club because it has to trade sustainably and that is hard in League 1 & 2.

Wycombe Wanderers is more than just a football club, it’s the heartbeat of the town - the glue that brings everyone together. This was illustrated on 13th July 2020 when people of all ages, could only watch on TV as Wycombe gained promotion to the Championship for the first time.

Based on the information available to fans we are led to believe that your club, Derby County, systematically abused the EFL Profit and Sustainability rules and delayed submitting revised accounts as asked by the EFL so as to avoid a points deduction in season 2020/2021. In doing so you cheated Wycombe fans out of the opportunity to watch their club play a second season of Championship football.

If, as you say, you're aligned in not wanting clubs to cheat for an unfair advantage that goes against the integrity of the EFL why didn't you put pressure on Derby County to submit revised accounts when ask?

As fans we also feel cheated by the actions of Mel Morris and Stephen Pearce. We have been let down by the people who were supposed to be custodians of your club and now we are facing the prospect of being denied the funds which would have accompanied a second year of Championship football.

It is right that clubs found in breach of Profit & Sustainability rules are punished, and after receiving a 21-point deduction there is no denying that Derby County have been punished. Although Derby wilfully and deliberately delayed submitting the revised accounts avoid being punished in season 2020/21. As fans we cannot accept the fact that Derby County cheated us both financially and by denying us the opportunity to watch Championship Football this season.

That’s why I'm writing to you. As things stand it looks like Derby County are deliberately trying to avoid any consequences of their past actions.

Those suffering now are the fans of Wycombe Wanderers, many of whom when we were trust owned actually donated their hard-earned money into the club to keep it viable - we can’t imagine Saturdays without Wycombe Wanderers.

So I want to ask - have you considered how the actions of Derby County affected Wycombe Wanderers?

In every city & town where football means so much the club has immense value to the community. I invite you to come to a game with me and experience the “Matchday Experience” that I have.

So I appeal to your unrealistic nature and say "Get your head out of your arse, and stop blaming Wycombe Wanderers. This whole sorry mesh is a consequence of the systematic and wilful abuse of the EFLs Profit & Sustainability rules by Derby County".

Yours Sincerely

• Brilliantly put

• @drcongo said:
    I can't stop thinking about this statue now. I hope it depicts Rooney dipping his hand into a nurse's pocket.

Or his fingers in a grannies purse